Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #138,901 of 153,001
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #138,902 of 153,001
Someone else mentioned it yesterday, but I wonder if this is an intentional design? I did do some research (read: I googled it) to see if this was ever a thing and nothing came up, except for an early tube design that had a single filament. Other than a larger piece of glowing metal than usual, what could be the end-result of using such a design/flaw? The Freya was on with the tube lit for about 35 minutes, and a half-minute of music was played with no apparent issues.

Thoughts?
I don't have a definitive answer on this. First time I've ever seen it. But looking at the base of one of my tubes, a wire is connected to Pin 4 and disappears between the plates in one triode. Another wire exits that triode and goes to the other triode and then disappears between the plates. Then there's a wire exiting that triode that is connected to Pin 5. Pins 4 and 5 are the heater (filament) connections, so it looks like the heater wire itself is continuous from Pin 4 to Pin 5 going through both triodes. The section of wire between the two triodes is normally at the bottom of the plates, not the top as would appear to be the case with your tube. It's possible (and I'm just spitballing here) that something was out of whack during assembly and the wire between the triodes ended up on top instead of at the bottom. Whether you use it or not is of course up to you. Personally, I wouldn't use it even though it may be OK electrically. Just not worth the risk (to me).

Non-Schiit Factory Floor:

Employee: "Hey boss, the new guy set up the winding machine wrong, and this last batch of 5000 6DJ8's has the filament on top."
Boss: "What? You mean the filament wire between the triodes is above the plates?"
Employee: "Exactly."
Boss: "And we ran 5000 of these before anybody noticed? Are you serious? The entire batch is done like that?!?"
Employee: "Afraid so."
Boss: "Do they work?"
Employee: "Yes sir, they seem to work just fine."
Boss: "Ship 'em."

🤣

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #138,903 of 153,001
I don't have a definitive answer on this. First time I've ever seen it. But looking at the base of one of my tubes, a wire is connected to Pin 4 and disappears between the plates in one triode. Another wire exits that triode and goes to the other triode and then disappears between the plates. Then there's a wire exiting that triode that is connected to Pin 5. Pins 4 and 5 are the heater (filament) connections, so it looks like the heater wire itself is continuous from Pin 4 to Pin 5 going through both triodes. The section of wire between the two triodes is normally at the bottom of the plates, not the top as would appear to be the case with your tube. It's possible (and I'm just spitballing here) that something was out of whack during assembly and the wire between the triodes ended up on top instead of at the bottom. Whether you use it or not is of course up to you. Personally, I wouldn't use it even though it may be OK electrically. Just not worth the risk (to me).

Non-Schiit Factory Floor:

Employee: "Hey boss, the new guy set up the winding machine wrong, and this last batch of 5000 6DJ8's has the filament on top."
Boss: "What? You mean the filament wire between the triodes is above the plates?"
Employee: "Exactly."
Boss: "And we ran 5000 of these before anybody noticed? Are you serious? The entire batch is done like that?!?"
Employee: "Afraid so."
Boss: "Do they work?"
Employee: "Yes sir, they seem to work just fine."
Boss: "Ship 'em."

🤣

I think your shop floor scenario is likely spot-on!

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll err on the side of caution, keep it in the box, and see what tube the reseller is sending as a replacement.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #138,905 of 153,001
Your digital source MacMini feeds into Gumby. What do you use that other device for?

The Gumby has the Gen 2 USB port. I wanted the best audio quality and Mike Moffat in the Freya forum, way back in the USB Gen 2 era, recommended the COAX input as being the better input at the time. I'll send it in to Schiit sometime this Spring for the Unison USB upgrade.

Edit: I meant Gungnir forum, not Freya.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #138,906 of 153,001
The Gumby has the Gen 2 USB port. I wanted the best audio quality and Mike Moffat in the Freya forum, way back in the USB Gen 2 era, recommended the COAX input as being the better input at the time. I'll send it in to Schiit sometime this Spring for the Unison USB upgrade.
In that case I would replace the Mac with a WiiM Pro which has a good coax output.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #138,907 of 153,001
In that case I would replace the Mac with a WiiM Pro which has a good coax output.

I thought about it, but I already own the Mac Mini (sunk cost), I listen to Apple Music as well as my FLACs on my NAS via Audirvana, and I'll be upgrading the USB on the Gumby so I'll be able to output directly from the USB-C port on the Mac. The SMSL DDC was inexpensive and it adds/subtracts nothing measurable to the signal, so it's a decent stopgap until the Unison upgrade.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #138,908 of 153,001
My Asgard 3 has shipped. Ninety minutes after I ordered it. Well done, Schiit!
Enjoy! I love my Asgard 3, it was better than I expected. I pair it with a Modius E. Lovely stack for the price.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #138,910 of 153,001
I need some advice on selling some excess equipment I've accumulated.

In all the years I've been in this hobby I've never sold anything, I just gave unwanted items away, and stuff I liked died a natural death or went on the shelf as Designated for Assignment.

That shelf is starting to heave a bit now, so it's time for a cull.

First, where is the best place to sell, in your experience? Are eBay or Amazon viable options?

How do you price it, assuming near NIB condition?

What precautions do you take when selling it?

How do you receive payment?

Is selling CONUS only a good strategy?

Most of the stuff I have will be three digit priced, so it won't be the end of the world if a deal goes south.
In the words of another Head-Fi'er here, "practicing non-attachment" can be a very uplifting experience, for both you and your shelving unit :)
I've bought and sold a decent amount of 3 and 4 digit gear and can summarize my experience below, and as always, YMMV

Where to sell
- Head-Fi classifieds, AVexchange on reddit, USAM - I tend to post on all three at the same time, wider net, more fish, and all of that
- eBay as a fallback - It feels the least personal to me and is my last resort if I'm just wanting to move a piece of gear
- Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, or other local meetup listings - if an item is large (like tower speakers) I may also choose to sell in person, and I insist on meeting at a local police station that has an area for this kind of exchange.

How do you price it
- Search the past 6 months of sales history on all sites you plan to use, adjust your price based on condition, included accessories, shipping offsets, etc.

How do you receive payment
- PayPal G&S invoice for ALL sales that involve shipping
- PayPal F&F or cash for local in-person sales

Is selling CONUS only a good strategy
- I only ship to CONUS as I don't want any surprises on my end
- Sometimes the buyer uses a US based proxy service that receives their item and then forwards it onto them in another country - make it clear that your responsibility ends with the package arriving at it's final US destination

What precautions do you take when selling
- Document every step of every sale
- Always update the tracking info on the PayPal invoice
- Ensure that the communication you have with the buyer can be referenced and isn't something that can be deleted or altered by either party - USAM does not have a good messaging system and just hands off inquiries to user email which is slightly annoying

Preparation is key for a smooth sales experience

Photos
- Have a clean space to take 6-10 quality photos of the piece of gear - take a whole bunch of photos and then cull to the 6-10 best ones
- Natural lighting is preferred if you can do it
- Dust is very photogenic, and will photo-bomb you more than you want
- Have at least one photo with a "time stamp" - your site username and date the photo was taken written on a piece of paper in the photo (not all sites require this, but it never hurts to prove that the photo is yours)

Well written description
- Clearly define what the product is, a brief history, and if there are any defects up front
- Specify how you handle fees (G&S has fees) as well as shipping conditions
- Use a format that you can quickly copy/paste between different sites when generating your listing - not all site interfaces are created equal unfortunately

Shipping
- I use "pirateship" which offers discounted UPS and USPS shipping options and I prepare my own packages
- Insure the item for the sales price, or sometimes more - it's generally the same cost to round up to the nearest $100 increment
- Purchase a quality postal scale and proper packing materials
- I'll also take 3 photos that I pass along to the buyer once shipped: 1. photo of the item in the box surrounded by the packing material, 2. a close up of the shipping label, 3. a corner shot of the exterior of the completed package so they know what to expect.

Bottom line is to treat the whole transaction as if you were the buyer.
And try to let the inevitable low-ball offers roll off you with a sense of humor.

There is also the question of taxes that pops up with G&S sales. From what I understand you are (can be) taxed based on any "profit" made from the sale. Generally speaking you would sell a piece of gear for less than you paid for it, so no taxable income per se, but you'd need to be able to show this. PayPal would send a 1099-K to the IRS based on all sales throughout the year, and you'd need to have a separate balance sheet to justify the payment as being non-taxable income.
A hassle? yeah, but it is what it is.

Best of luck with your sales Cliff!
:beerchug:

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #138,911 of 153,001
Hey all,

Just a brief moment to note the passing of the Yggdrasil OG. It has gone into the ether, after one of the longest DAC runs in history.

If you missed it, and still want one, I suspect a couple will end up on B-Stock. If you want something with the same D/A converters, the Yggdrasil GS2 will continue to be available until we are out of Analog 1 boards. I won't estimate a time for that; see Jason's Law.

Beyond that, Yggdrasil LIM and MIB live on!

All the best,
Jason
My Gungnir Multibit, and Yggy GS1 and GS2 are now collector's items!

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #138,912 of 153,001
Sigh. I havent been able to find the Colonel in 6 or 7 years now, alas! Nice bourbon

I am way behind on the thread (like everyone else these days) but I was forced into a "terrible" decision about 2 weeks ago... A store I frequent prices their stuff at MSRP, but they have the really rare stuff locked in a glass case. For rare bourbon specifically you are allowed to buy one bottle per person per day. I get to this store about twice a month and its really hit or miss because I often get there after the good stuff has been picked over. I managed to get there on a Saturday around noon, and The bottle before me were Blantons, EH Taylor Single Barrel, and a Weller Full Proof...

I last saw and bought an EH Taylor Single Barrel in 2021 but I had never seen a Weller Full Proof (blue label).

I bought the Weller, but I am still not sure I bought the right bottle... hard to pass on EH Taylor.... Maybe next year.... lol

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #138,913 of 153,001
@Jason Stoddard

Well, well, my very first Schiit typo detection! For the Yiggy2 chassis upgrade option, the second sentence has an additional word:

1707336439532.png

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #138,914 of 153,001
I am way behind on the thread (like everyone else these days) but I was forced into a "terrible" decision about 2 weeks ago... A store I frequent prices their stuff at MSRP, but they have the really rare stuff locked in a glass case. For rare bourbon specifically you are allowed to buy one bottle per person per day. I get to this store about twice a month and its really hit or miss because I often get there after the good stuff has been picked over. I managed to get there on a Saturday around noon, and The bottle before me were Blantons, EH Taylor Single Barrel, and a Weller Full Proof...

I last saw and bought an EH Taylor Single Barrel in 2021 but I had never seen a Weller Full Proof (blue label).

I bought the Weller, but I am still not sure I bought the right bottle... hard to pass on EH Taylor.... Maybe next year.... lol
If you don’t want that Weller, I could carry that burden.

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #138,915 of 153,001
@Jason Stoddard

Well, well, my very first Schiit typo detection! For the Yiggy2 chassis upgrade option, the second sentence has an additional word:

1707336439532.png
Since you are new here I'll explain how this all works:

We all work for Schiit as editors of their Website copy. And their manuals. And the Schiit Talker.

Carry on. :joy_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back