Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #149,266 of 150,623
Tonight's musical selection streaming live in two minutes to a Floridians ears still wandering in hill country:
IMG_20240425_183950650~2.jpg

IMG_20240425_183721387~2.jpg

IMG_20240425_185544998.jpg

I think at nearly 70 years we are the youngest old people here! :) ...they are long livers here in the hills!

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #149,270 of 150,623
Sorry if this idea has been mentioned already in the past 11 pages.

Could you devise a Jason clever, lesson in ingenious heat dissipation the way we do it in Texas, matching two chassis stackable solution?

"Valhalla III is stacked with improved tube sound!"

Just don't do the heat tunnel thing again and send it out with a fire extinguisher. :) People want to stack! Texas style. Bigger and taller. Taller than a bottle of the best Texas wine.

Paladin needs to keep busy.

All jokes aside going up in limited space is easier than Yggy width components.

A two piece Valhalla III could sit proud atop a stack anchored by the uber cool Bifrost Multibit Autonomy DAC!

Think of the Stellar Sounding Stacks that could be done. Everyone is doing it now with the small stuff. Think a little bigger. There could be a Texas night stand edition set in tiger maple.

Take a poll. Ask if folks here would be willing to pay more for a two piece solution over a one piece solution, which as of now can't be done, as opposed to going wider.

Folks may very well pay bigger to stack smaller.....width wise....... even if it's just for fun and cool. It's a giant part of your Sine Wave.

Just a morning thought from Hill Country.
More and Wider
More and Taller

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #149,271 of 150,623
Something I've been wondering about is the impact of thermal cycle count on a vacuum tube filament, as opposed to tube operating hours. My thinking is that with a normal incandescent lamp, there's an estimated lifespan in hours, but we can also dramatically shorten the total number of operating hours by rapidly cycling the lamp on and off, letting the filament heat and cool and expand and contract until it breaks.

The filament in a vacuum tube can't be that different from an incandescent lamp filament, right? So, in addition to the rough estimate that this tube lasts for e.g. 5,000 hours, there must also be an impact from thermal cycles. If we had tons of high-quality data, then I suspect we'd be able to estimate a minimum acceptable power-off time for a tube, below which it's actually better for total tube lifespan to leave it on.

I could not find any data about this. I wonder if there was ever anything that came out of early vacuum tube computer installations where they burned through tens of thousands of tubes, and even if there was, whether it was ever unclassified or declassified.
I don’t know the published data on this but my dad was an EE in quality at IBM back in the main frame days and said on / off cycles were one of the biggest contributors to lifespan. Not sure how that translates to audio tubes but I hear you.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #149,272 of 150,623
I have been thoroughly enjoying my Cambridge Audio MXN10 streamer. It sounds very good out of its own DAC and I imagine it would feed an Yggy through its coax output very, very nicely. It's not quite WiiM-affordable but is not far off and has an all-metal chassis and a more appealing form factor, in my opinion.

I've been using Qobuz for over four years now, if not longer, and it is definitely my pick of all the services. It integrates nicely into Cambridge's StreamMagic app and sounds awesome! Fantastic editorial content through the Qobuz app as well.

Cheers!

I have been thoroughly enjoying my Cambridge Audio MXN10 streamer. It sounds very good out of its own DAC and I imagine it would feed an Yggy through its coax output very, very nicely. It's not quite WiiM-affordable but is not far off and has an all-metal chassis and a more appealing form factor, in my opinion.

I've been using Qobuz for over four years now, if not longer, and it is definitely my pick of all the services. It integrates nicely into Cambridge's StreamMagic app and sounds awesome! Fantastic editorial content through the Qobuz app as well.

Cheers!
Plus 1 on Qobuz. Only listening for some months, not years, but love the sound and the price is competitive.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #149,273 of 150,623
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #149,275 of 150,623
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #149,276 of 150,623
And now...in with the new.
On burn-in.
Not yet spiked.
Bi-wired the TC-60's

The Tyrs really lit 'em up...

Happy.:slight_smile:

Now it's time for an adult beverage.
Nice!!!

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #149,278 of 150,623
<edit: Whoops! The file is too large for the forums so I screenshotted it. Didn't notice the mouse cursor>
Yeah, sure. That's where the alien spacecraft you don't want us to see is...

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #149,280 of 150,623
Hello everyone. Looking for opinions. I am getting now into the ""new" digital thing buying a Yggy and playing/streaming my music files. What do you all think of a good FLAC player? Also best music service.
I've had good luck with a variety of players but it's really the software aka "remote" that makes the difference. Do you already have a good one picked out?

I'd start with one of those "higher end" raspberry Pi based players, or maybe a SoTM player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back