Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #48,571 of 153,914
You folks need to be introduced to 'Old Peculiar', but not that bottled stuff that's sometimes available in the US.
You are right the import version does not hold a candle to the real deal. Same can be said for Stone House ale from Shropshire.

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #48,572 of 153,914
Next food topic... CHEESE?!

Not sure it is something you really have in the USA is it? :wink:

I feel it is very hard to beat a really good Cheddar like Cornish Quartz or Montgomery. From the continental side I can devour Chaource and 24 month aged Comtê (look up the limits on where the milk can come from it is pretty specific). Yummy!

Now the controversial subject, what to have it with? A French bread, crackers, oatcakes or just on it's own?

Decisions, decisions...

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #48,573 of 153,914
I think there’s been enough cats in this thread, so let me introduce Elma. We adopted her two weeks ago, and so far there hasn’t been a need to put any spikes on my Schiit.

505423AC-8772-4680-8D78-EDB675EF04A4.jpeg

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #48,574 of 153,914
I think there’s been enough cats in this thread, so let me introduce Elma. We adopted her two weeks ago, and so far there hasn’t been a need to put any spikes on my Schiit.

Whaddaya mean "enough cats"!? :cat:

Nice doggy! :grin:

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #48,575 of 153,914
Hello folks,

its been a while since I last posted and I know this is very out of topic, but I'm looking for a recommendation:
I have a pair of Aegir monoblocs, and 2 sets of speakers (4 in total). I would like to easily switch from on pair of speaker to another pair without reaching behind my hifi rack and unplugging/plugging; is there a good quality speaker switcher around?
I've seen a few from QED but the product website talks about ohms, series, parallel etc etc which to me sound weird, cause I just need to switch it.

Any reco will be greatly appreciated.

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #48,576 of 153,914
That may be true now. Wasn't when I first had this problem. I learned a bit late that I can un-check the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" box and it will leave the file structure alone. I'm a little OCD with meta-data and having another program manipulate the file structure that I took great care to create is a non-starter for me.

The main issue with iTunes organising files is that much of the metadata accessed from t’interweb is rubbish. Just because artist B guests on one song on an album by artist A does not make the album a compilation. The song they guest on should say featuring Artist B, the artist field should not say Artist B featuring Artist A.

Also for multi-disc sets, the discs of the set are not called Disc 1, Disc 2 etc. That’s what the disc number field in the metadata is for. The individual disc names should be the same as the album title.

Pink Floyd did not create two albums called The Wall Disc 1 and The Wall Disc 2 which is how the metadata used by many CD rippers lists it. They created a single album called The Wall which comprises two discs.

I’ve recently had this discussion with the technical support team at Naim and they honestly don't seem to care if the software in their new Uniti range rips albums and then has incorrect metadata or not.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #48,577 of 153,914

I feel it is very hard to beat a really good Cheddar like Cornish Quartz or Montgomery. From the continental side I can devour Chaource and 24 month aged Comtê (look up the limits on where the milk can come from it is pretty specific). Yummy!

Now the controversial subject, what to have it with? A French bread, crackers, oatcakes or just on it's own?

Decisions, decisions...

While the typical "American" cheese is indeed execrable except for certain uses (e.g. grilled cheese with tomato soup), there are some good US made cheeses. For example:

- Maytag Bleu: https://www.maytagdairyfarms.com/product/maytag-blue-cheese/
- Humboldt Fog: https://www.cypressgrovecheese.com/cheese/soft-ripened-cheeses/humboldt-fog/
- Grafton Cheddar: https://www.graftonvillagecheese.com/our-cheese/

These are pretty well known and available pretty much anywhere in the US. The good news is that artisanal cheesemaking has been growing in the US much like the rise of good craft-brew beer. As you would expect, because the US is so large, there are many, many local cheese makers that make good products. The same is true for traditional dry-cured sausages as well.

One issue with the US is that we cannot get real PDO Camembert, Brie or other soft raw milk cheeses - the US prohibits importation of raw milk cheeses that haven't been aged for a certain amount of time (60 days).

As for what to eat it with, I prefer a water cracker for delicate flavored cheeses, and a baguette for bleus and stronger flavored cheeses. Along with the artisanal sausages.

ed

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #48,578 of 153,914

I am really tired. It has been a long week. At first glance I thought that TV was a window and thought outside your house looked odd.

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #48,579 of 153,914

Decisions, decisions...
Heresy, Lunacy, or BRILLIANCE - I go with https://www.clemson.edu/bluecheese/ over Maytag. I think it's made from pasteurized milk, so it violates some "rule" or another, but it's fabulous.
The Cady cheese factory has some wonderful offerings. http://www.cadycheese.com/
- As a sub for bricks of Kerrygold Dubliner cheddar from Costco (which admittedly I like very much) - I use their 2 yr. old aged cheddar
- Their 17 yr old cheddar is one of my favorite treats. Occasionally, you can get 19. They generally have 2 to 9 regularly - I'm not sure what they keep for mail order.
- If you want some "squeaky cheese" for your curds - look no further. White, Yellow, or a mixed bag...
- Their medium Colby is one my favorites for grilled-cheese
- Their Parmesan is not a direct substitute for any of the properly-aged cheeses from Italy, but it's hard to beat for the cost. It doesn't have a terribly deep flavor, but it is a phenomenal substitute the pre-grated "cheese" from a plastic green container (at roughly the same price per unit weight or a tad more).

And - since we can combine beer too... It's right up the street from Dave's Brew Farm - http://davesbrewfarm.blogspot.com/

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #48,580 of 153,914
Hello folks,

its been a while since I last posted and I know this is very out of topic, but I'm looking for a recommendation:
I have a pair of Aegir monoblocs, and 2 sets of speakers (4 in total). I would like to easily switch from on pair of speaker to another pair without reaching behind my hifi rack and unplugging/plugging; is there a good quality speaker switcher around?
I've seen a few from QED but the product website talks about ohms, series, parallel etc etc which to me sound weird, cause I just need to switch it.

Any reco will be greatly appreciated.
You need a loudspeaker selector switch. I recommend one that does impedance matching and which completely separates the signal paths. The one I have used in the past with excellent results is the Niles SS-4. There are several similar products out there most much less expensive, but I say if putting a switch into your signal path it should be a quality item, and Niles makes quality items.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #48,581 of 153,914

Decisions, decisions...
IMO some of the best cheddar on the planet comes from the US state of Wisconsin.
Also agree the Maytag bleu is very fine. Our midwestern states take good care of their milk cows :)

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #48,582 of 153,914
While the typical "American" cheese is indeed execrable except for certain uses (e.g. grilled cheese with tomato soup), there are some good US made cheeses. For example:

- Maytag Bleu: https://www.maytagdairyfarms.com/product/maytag-blue-cheese/
- Humboldt Fog: https://www.cypressgrovecheese.com/cheese/soft-ripened-cheeses/humboldt-fog/
- Grafton Cheddar: https://www.graftonvillagecheese.com/our-cheese/

These are pretty well known and available pretty much anywhere in the US. The good news is that artisanal cheesemaking has been growing in the US much like the rise of good craft-brew beer. As you would expect, because the US is so large, there are many, many local cheese makers that make good products. The same is true for traditional dry-cured sausages as well.

One issue with the US is that we cannot get real PDO Camembert, Brie or other soft raw milk cheeses - the US prohibits importation of raw milk cheeses that haven't been aged for a certain amount of time (60 days).

As for what to eat it with, I prefer a water cracker for delicate flavored cheeses, and a baguette for bleus and stronger flavored cheeses. Along with the artisanal sausages.

ed

Heresy, Lunacy, or BRILLIANCE - I go with https://www.clemson.edu/bluecheese/ over Maytag. I think it's made from pasteurized milk, so it violates some "rule" or another, but it's fabulous.
The Cady cheese factory has some wonderful offerings. http://www.cadycheese.com/
- As a sub for bricks of Kerrygold Dubliner cheddar from Costco (which admittedly I like very much) - I use their 2 yr. old aged cheddar
- Their 17 yr old cheddar is one of my favorite treats. Occasionally, you can get 19. They generally have 2 to 9 regularly - I'm not sure what they keep for mail order.
- If you want some "squeaky cheese" for your curds - look no further. White, Yellow, or a mixed bag...
- Their medium Colby is one my favorites for grilled-cheese
- Their Parmesan is not a direct substitute for any of the properly-aged cheeses from Italy, but it's hard to beat for the cost. It doesn't have a terribly deep flavor, but it is a phenomenal substitute the pre-grated "cheese" from a plastic green container (at roughly the same price per unit weight or a tad more).

And - since we can combine beer too... It's right up the street from Dave's Brew Farm - http://davesbrewfarm.blogspot.com/

Some interesting suggestions, I will have to see if I can source them in the UK to try out. Real shame that you can't get hold soft cheese from the EU though, there are some fantastic cheeses about. Funny really though but the biggest exporter of cheese in the world is actually Germany, I do suspect most of it comes from 1 factory which produces Rougette, Cambozola, Montagnolo and a few others.

I was joking really though as you could probably tell by the wink. It is like the beer thing where the USA gets a bad reputation mainly derived from mainstream media but really there are amazing small craft businesses if you know where to look.

Are you telling me from the USA all the cheese isn't rubber, all the chocolate isn't bile derived and all the beer isn't pig swill? :ksc75smile::beerchug:

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #48,583 of 153,914
Are you telling me from the USA all the cheese isn't rubber, all the chocolate isn't bile derived and all the beer isn't pig swill? :ksc75smile::beerchug:
Most of the American COMMERCIAL brands fit those descriptions very closely... :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #48,584 of 153,914
Some interesting suggestions, I will have to see if I can source them in the UK to try out. Real shame that you can't get hold soft cheese from the EU though, there are some fantastic cheeses about. Funny really though but the biggest exporter of cheese in the world is actually Germany, I do suspect most of it comes from 1 factory which produces Rougette, Cambozola, Montagnolo and a few others.

I was joking really though as you could probably tell by the wink. It is like the beer thing where the USA gets a bad reputation mainly derived from mainstream media but really there are amazing small craft businesses if you know where to look.

If I were a farmer, I wouldn't feed my pigs our 'well known' US Lagers -- cruelty to animals, etc!
Next thing you know, you've got PETA all up in your business... :deadhorse: (oops...bad emoji choice)

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #48,585 of 153,914
This place is a short drive from home, and sells some delicious cheeses. One can actually watch the cheese being made, which is as exciting as it sounds!

https://www.dewlay.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back