Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 28, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #49,726 of 152,261
Great chapters, Jason. The development process is by far what I enjoy the most from your stories (specially the dialogues between you and Mike).

The new Asgard took me by surprise. Despite your older posts where you mentioned your lack of interest when it comes to developing a new Class A amp, I thought you were only talking about 2-channel gear. Obviously I was wrong. As an Asgard 2 owner, from now on I'll take care of it like the last of its lineage that it is :D. Bifrost 2 looks amazing, even the internal pictures gives the impression of a product that surpasses the previous one in all aspects (I hope to see reviews of it ASAP).

Regarding the argument about your products being upgradeable: Maybe I'm totally wrong but I've always seen that as a feature that it's attractive for USA costumers mostly. What I mean is... I'm from Chile (South America) and just considering the transit times (shipping) it means I would be waiting for a month, if you add the time you guys need to work on my gear, it means... I don't know about 2, 3 or maybe in some cases 4 additional weeks?. Rounding up that's a total of 2 months, waaaay too much.

For me, Schiit is attractive due to the great performance/$ ratio and the beautiful minimalist design. Upgradeability is to me a plus, but not a key element, maybe because I (luckily) don't suffer from upgraditis so small incremental upgrades don't get my attention. Now... if your future upgrades are more software oriented and can be performed connecting the device to a PC or using a memory card, well... then that's a different story; so... looking at this new Bifrost, congrats on that step forward.

Finally, I've been tired to see 99% of the electronic manufacturers making black products. Silver or even "champagne" hue despite not being "new" colors, well... they feel like fresh air. So, I hope you never stop offering the silver brushed aluminium finish.

Oh I almost forgot, but what's the point of waiting for the end of Win 7 support from MS in order to release Unison? What's the problem with releasing it when it's ready with a clear disclaimer explaining technically why it doesn't work with Win 7? Microsoft is not the most reliable company in the world when it comes to meeting milestones, so what happens if they decide to push forward the deadline of Win 7 support?

Regards.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #49,729 of 152,261
So far, my only grip about the Asgard 3 is the missing front LED.

Literally every amp you've ever made has had one, and they serve a real function.

I think its pretty lame that you decided to nix it on the Asgard 3.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #49,731 of 152,261
Regarding the argument about your products being upgradeable: Maybe I'm totally wrong but I've always seen that as a feature that it's attractive for USA costumers mostly. What I mean is... I'm from Chile (South America) and just considering the transit times (shipping) it means I would be waiting for a month, if you add the time you guys need to work on my gear, it means... I don't know about 2, 3 or maybe in some cases 4 additional weeks?. Rounding up that's a total of 2 months, waaaay too much.

Oh I almost forgot, but what's the point of waiting for the end of Win 7 support from MS in order to release Unison? What's the problem with releasing it when it's ready with a clear disclaimer explaining technically why it doesn't work with Win 7? Microsoft is not the most reliable company in the world when it comes to meeting milestones, so what happens if they decide to push forward the deadline of Win 7 support?

Regards.

With respect to upgrades, that's the whole point of Autonomy™. Now, when there are upgrades, you never have to send the product back. just buy a new card and drop it in. No need to send anything back, even if there are firmware changes.

With respect to waiting for the end of W7, two things:

1. It removes any valid complaint about not supporting all current platforms. We'll still have complaints, but when Microsoft ain't supporting it, welllllllll. Bifrost 2 allows us to experiment with a "tech leader" product, because it is a single product, and if you have W7, you have other options.
2. We really need to pick our battles in releasing new product. The combined logistics of a new DAC launch and a Unison USB upgrade, as the year is getting busy, is daunting. I'd much rather concentrate on making sure Bifrost 2 is the best it can be. Hence, the longer quoted shipping date on the product page--we are doing extensive testing on this first run, and we will probably fall behind on shipping. Expect the same for Sol.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 28, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #49,732 of 152,261
@Jason Stoddard none of my business really, but the Asgard 3 looks like it would fit in a USPS flat rate box fairly easily. that would cut shipping in almost half anywhere in the 48 states... you would have to redesign your shipping foam protections and stuff too though I guess, might not be adequate enough, I don't know, just a thought I had. those USPS flat rate boxes are excellent though, doesn't matter how much the box weighs with them.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #49,733 of 152,261
WELL DONE, Jason and Mike. Two innovative new products indeed. I honestly never thought I'd see a balanced Bifrost with the Gumby DACs and thought Ripper's incessant pleading was truly in vain. Ha! I'm not too surprised that Asgard 3 is a Continuity amp, even though it meant killing off your first born, especially since Lyr 3 and Aegir have been so well received. Frankly, I am stunned you have priced it at $199. To think you can get a single piece (True) Multibit DAC/Amp combo with that kind of resolution and power at $399 is remarkable. (In 2014 my Bifrost Uber and Asgard 2 combo was $768 and I considered that a very good bargain at the time.)

My Bifrost 2 has already been ordered. (The $100 rebate for us Bifrost 1 owners is greatly appreciated, BTW.) I love my Yggy for my two-channel setup, but I'm quite excited to pair the Bifrost 2 with my headphone amps, especially Jotunheim in balanced mode. I'm still going to hang on my now-legacy Asgard 2, because I enjoy the Class A sound and it drives the headphones I pair with it well. That said, I am very curious to see what others think of the Asgard 3 sound, especially as it compares to the old Asgard, and to Jotunheim and Lyr 3. For those who have already ordered the revamped Asgard, please do share your impressions.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #49,734 of 152,261
@Jason Stoddard none of my business really, but the Asgard 3 looks like it would fit in a USPS flat rate box fairly easily. that would cut shipping in almost half anywhere in the 48 states... you would have to redesign your shipping foam protections and stuff too though I guess, might not be adequate enough, I don't know, just a thought I had. those USPS flat rate boxes are excellent though, doesn't matter how much the box weighs with them.

Our boxes are designed to protect what we ship, the flat rate boxes are not adequate. Sorry.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #49,737 of 152,261
So, question.

With me being that guy that is ALWAYS looking to save a buck.

I bought an old gen 1 Bifrost from goodwill for 70 bucks. It actually just shipped yesterday. I have no idea if it even powers on. It doesn't have USB.

If I were to send the old gen 1 in for (paid) repairs and the 4490 or even multibit upgrade (until today the original plan), would that qualify me for the Bifrost Gen 2 deal?

Pipe dream I'm sure, but a guy has to ask.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #49,738 of 152,261
The Bifrost 2 looks great! Question: what’s the sell for getting the Gungnir mb now ($1200+) vs the Bifrost 2? Or is the Bifrost 2 just the clear buy?

EDIT: found the answer on my own. Bifrost 2 uses 2x 5781ARUZ (cheaper) and features op-amp “cheap-ass balanced”, vs Gungnir MB uses 4x 5781BRUZ (more expensive) with not cheap-ass balanced :p

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #49,740 of 152,261
Great on the new stuff....being a Bifrost 1 owner with the Gen 5 update, I have no earthly desire to upgrade for balanced, SE is just fine here.
So I really want to be able to get the Unison USB upgrade for my Bifrost 1.

I really wish you would allow us "mature" owners that run W10 to be able to upgrade now vs waiting until Jan 2020!

You want me to sign over the mortgage, put you Jason in my will?? So be it....

At least you come out and explain why your doing this and why the Bifrost is deep sixed for future stuff.

VS other manufacturers just doing it with no reasonable explanation....

OK, so lets get that Unison out to us W10 folks earlier than Jan 2020....I just turned 70 and my ears arent getting any better !!

:>)

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back