Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #57,811 of 153,860
Bought my Jotunheim with the phono board, for my yet to be ordered Sol. As a balanced headphone amp being feed from an old multibit it rocks!
11205795_thumb.jpg
My old ML never sounded so good.
That is a fine looking DAC. I've always wanted to try Mark Levinson gear, but it's still too expensive for me. I have to admit I was tempted by a pair of No. 20.6 amplifiers on AudiogoN last week.

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #57,812 of 153,860
Speaking of volume knobs, I just did what I could call an “enhanced visibility” mod :wink:

34D2111E-3026-41D9-AE8D-5FFC8C07D14D.jpeg
Does that arrow glow in the dark?

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #57,813 of 153,860
That is a fine looking DAC. I've always wanted to try Mark Levinson gear, but it's still too expensive for me. I have to admit I was tempted by a pair of No. 20.6 amplifiers on AudiogoN last week.

For kicks I brought my Bimby into the mix. Both the Bimby and ML we're feed from the ML#37 transport with the Sys feeding the Jot. In SE mode it's almost impossible to tell the two apart. Kudos to Mike and the team... My 30 year old ML was close to $10k new and the same sound has been achieved for under $1k. Balanced out from the ML is another story and I have no way to compare since it's a G1 Bimby. IMG_20200323_230835468.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #57,814 of 153,860
+1 on the Schiit digital CD (and hopefully more) Transport (maybe it will have USB output for Unison/ gen 5 compatibility).

In the meantime, just dig thru your pile of old electronics-- any CD or DVD player (or maybe even an old gaming console) with coax or toslink digital out will work (hopefully you can find the remote too, and that the batteries were taken out so many years ago prior to mothballing). Jitter using the Schiit Multibit DACs should be less of a problem than with some competitor's designs, since S/PDIF stream is buffered between the S/PDIF receiver chip, and the Sharc DSP-based oversampling combo-burrito (or mega-combo-burrito) filtering.

right now, I'm using an old sony sacd ns500v (converts DSD into PCM thru the coax & toslink ports) and an old denon receiver remote (programmed for sony dvd IR codes cuz I misplaced the original sony remote :frowning2:
...damn, tincanear's right! I'm also fixated on a digital transport of some kind. Baldr's creation will be ready when it's ready. My Chromebook feeds my listening nook's DAC. When Wi-Fi steaming from my externally-powered hard-drives fails... I use a spare music-filed-loaded Seagate passport, plugged directly into my 'book. Android's DAPs are... meh... okay for phones but mediocre on ChromeOS. I like to tweak my player! Ah well...

Mar 24, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #57,815 of 153,860
Naw, I upgraded to some no-name tubes made in China. Huge improvement.

Actually haven't had those amps in about 16 years. Something about 450 F surface temps on exposed tubes in amps sitting on the floor didn't make good sense with a mobile toddler. Even if Gary had made them. :)

That is how I got my tube integrated amp actually. Friends were going to start doing foster care and did not feel having exposed, glowing, hot tubes within reach of a small child would be good. They knew I liked music and audio and offered to sell it to me.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #57,816 of 153,860
Mar 24, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #57,817 of 153,860
Mar 24, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #57,819 of 153,860
Just sitting here, and wow. I gotta get a schiit fulla for these zoom calls I have to be in.

Before being stuck at home working, I had to take part in a conference call or two. I had been used to my Fulla 2 feeding either Etymotic HF-5s or Audio Technica ATH-M70Xs. I tried the headset at work and made the mistake of trying to play music through it. It was atrocious. That is not to say I want to sprint for a Fulla 3 yet; I very rarely have conference calls... but I can see why it would be nice to have... and I do play games online so that is a reason too..

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #57,820 of 153,860
Just attached some new Schiit a couple hours ago. I hooked up Bifrost 2 + Freya S + Vidar to my Boenicke W5se bookshelf speakers. They replaced an original Peachtree Nova. I don't get to switch up audio components more than every several years, and and whenever I get a new amp/speaker I wonder if I'll be able to tell the difference. I knew when I got the Boenickes that they would require a better amplifier, but it took me a few years to make the leap. I was excited and nervous putting the Schiit together...

YOWZA. I'm only two hours into listening to my new system, but yeah... I can tell the difference. I might attempt to write up a more detailed description later. For now, the sound is just thicker, fuller. The instruments are more defined, voices are often up front, with breaths and slight imperfections audible. The bass is unreal for these small speakers. The percussion is more propulsive, the music has more layers, it's all just richer. More than anything, and I don't know how to put this better... music I love grips me emotionally at a deeper level.

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #57,821 of 153,860
Just attached some new Schiit a couple hours ago. I hooked up Bifrost 2 + Freya S + Vidar to my Boenicke W5se bookshelf speakers. They replaced an original Peachtree Nova. I don't get to switch up audio components more than every several years, and and whenever I get a new amp/speaker I wonder if I'll be able to tell the difference. I knew when I got the Boenickes that they would require a better amplifier, but it took me a few years to make the leap. I was excited and nervous putting the Schiit together...

YOWZA. I'm only two hours into listening to my new system, but yeah... I can tell the difference. I might attempt to write up a more detailed description later. For now, the sound is just thicker, fuller. The instruments are more defined, voices are often up front, with breaths and slight imperfections audible. The bass is unreal for these small speakers. The percussion is more propulsive, the music has more layers, it's all just richer. More than anything, and I don't know how to put this better... music I love grips me emotionally at a deeper level.

Congrats and Enjoy.

I'm rocking a Bifrost 2, Saga, Vidar myself. I swear it's magic, man...

(Scotch mod in effect to call it magic)

Nice to forget about reality for awhile

Also, tidal is available for 4 dollars, for 4 months. For any plan..

That savings will pay for my daughter's new bike! (dropping Qobuz and Spotify)

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #57,822 of 153,860
For kicks I brought my Bimby into the mix. Both the Bimby and ML we're feed from the ML#37 transport with the Sys feeding the Jot. In SE mode it's almost impossible to tell the two apart. Kudos to Mike and the team... My 30 year old ML was close to $10k new and the same sound has been achieved for under $1k. Balanced out from the ML is another story and I have no way to compare since it's a G1 Bimby.IMG_20200323_230835468.jpg
Yeah, Mark Levinson gear, even used, is more than I want to spend. No matter how good it is. Even those antique No. 20.6 are still advertised at $6800. That's a whole bunch more than I paid for my still loved SA-1 twenty years ago, and at that time the SA-1 were a lot closer to current production than the No 20.6 are now. Someday I'll have to make the effort to hear some ML and see what I've been missing out on.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #57,823 of 153,860
Hi all. Been a while since I posted.

I'd like to discuss the stimulus checks we are going to be getting in the U.S. I promise it will come around to Schiit and I'll try to avoid politics.

In my case I should be getting $3200. Options for me and others for how to use the money include:

1. Buying essentials (food, rent, etc.) Already taken care of in my case, I'm still working and being paid the usual.
2. Stocking up on masks and toilet paper to build toilet paper forts. Just kidding :p Please let these go where they are needed.
3. Paying down debt if you have it.
4. Saving the money.
5. Buying stuff or even better Schiit.

In my opinion if you've got the essentials taken care of the best use of stimulus money is spending it. After all how can you stimulate the economy if it is not used to buy goods or services.

Therefore this leads to the question of what to buy to do the most good. I plan on spending the money domestically and in particular buying some more Schiit (which is a great way to spread the stimulus [or Robert Heinlein's "pay it forward"] in the U.S. economy) and patronizing my favorite non-chain restaurant by getting take out or buying gift cards. This way I can further help the U.S. economy, reward a company that we all love for it's U.S. supply chain, and keep my favorite Pirate themed Rum bar from closing.

Finally I propose that we call this the "Schiit Stimulus" and I look forward to upgrading to a balanced DAC in my 2-Channel system.

I hope everyone is taking the Coronavirus seriously as it will take all of us helping each other to minimize the impact. If anyone needs reading recommendations I'll point you to The Great Influenza by John Barry and Get Well Soon by Jenifer Wright.

Edit: an option I omitted initially would be to give to worthy charity such as Multibit for the Masses (completely made up).

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #57,824 of 153,860
*Snip*
Finally I propose that we call this the "Schiit Stimulus" and I look forward to upgrading to a balanced DAC in my 2-Channel system.

I hope everyone is taking the Coronavirus seriously as it will take all of us helping each other to minimize the impact. If anyone needs reading recommendations I'll point you to The Great Influenza by John Barry and Get Well Soon by Jenifer Wright.
Shouldn't a "Schiit Stimulus" be called a "laxative"..? :smiling_imp:

Cheers and Stay Healthy!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #57,825 of 153,860
Hi all,
New here. I'm in process of designing a new soundsystem (primarily for turntable listening) and am really impressed by the Schiit products, reviews, corporate ethos and community.
The speakers I've got in mind are the Wharfedale Lintons (Sensitivity 90dB, Recommended Amp Power 25-200W, Peak SPL 110dB, Nominal/Min Impedance 6/3.5ohm) which I'd like to drive with Schiit's electronics.
What are some of the differentiating factors that may provide guidance between choosing the Freya+ and Freya S? It seems the F+ is top of the line with the tube buffer however the Freya S throws a curve ball with its Nexus technology, which I understand provides superior "balancing" (?)
In the power amp section there's a wide offer, all of which seems great. I'm mainly stuck between Aegir (possibly 2 of them for monoblocks) and the pure play Rag 2, though it appears many people also go with Vidar. From reads of the discussion, it seems the Rag2 is a powerful, and simple solve (including headphone functionality) but may be somewhat noisier / less discrete than the Aegir/Vidar power blocks.
In terms of listening/objectives, the system would be in a average sized city apartment living room. I'm looking for power, depth and versatility out of the amp as I'd be playing a range of reggae, techno, classic rock, punk, and heavier sound walls.
Would really appreciate any views on the above especially in the power amp section.
This thread is super interesting. Circuitry/electricity/business crash course.
Cheers
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back