Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #68,746 of 152,591
...{{{snip}}}.....contact DCA......{{snip}}....Your 'listening nook' looks like one giant ground loop / RF antenna. :).....{{{{snip}}}}.....releasable & re-usable 'hook & loop' cable straps for the wall wart cords, shorter color-coded IEC power cords from markertek, monoprice, etc for the other units.....{{{snip}}...
Sue R. at DCA is sorting me out! Re: ground loop. I'll search headfi about HOW to reduce the RF effect ([inexpensive] without too much woo). :ksc75smile:

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #68,747 of 152,591
I've wondered if there's any interest in a SAGA an FREYA with multiple inputs and outputs.

what you want is a crosspoint switch (if you want to assign multiple combinations of inputs and outputs. e.g. output 1 is fed from input A, output 2 is fed from input C, input B feeds to both output B and output D)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #68,748 of 152,591
Hmm, looks to me like they already have that functionality...?
Saga has more than 1 signal input? Or it can be reversed (like with the SYS). I just learned something!

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #68,749 of 152,591
Saga has more than 1 signal input? Or it can be reversed (like with the SYS). I just learned something!
(revised)
yes multiple inputs (e.g. one D/S DAC, one Multibit DAC)
and one output (same signal on both pairs of output jacks, which you could use a y splitter + more interconnects to feed into three amplifiers. Note that some amplifiers (esp some solid state designs present a non-linear impedance and their input when powered off). toobz not as likely...

because of the buffer stage, Saga / Saga S / Saga+ should not be used in reverse.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #68,750 of 152,591
Saga has what looks to be five inputs and two outputs:

saga plus back 1920.jpg

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #68,751 of 152,591
Does anyone know if optional DAC module in Jot 2 is as good as a standalone DAC (Magnius)?

+1 on what @Rensek said.

presently if you want Unison, it's not available on the internal DAC modules (perhaps sometime in 2021 ???) but they offer a nice one-box solution.

Modius (same footprint as Jotunheim and Asgard series for nice stacking) has Unison and AK4493 D/S chipset, while internal DAC card (module) is dual AK4490 non-Unison.
Modi Multibit is presently without Unison either (but also backordered to early Feb 2021)

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #68,752 of 152,591
Modi Multibit+ (same naming convention as Modi 3+). note that this needs someone to update the schematics (Jason or Dave while Mike is recovering), Jason for the PCB layout, Dave K for the firmware since the PIC32 Microchip processor has to control the USB as well as the s/pdif receiver, muting, etc...

Don't rush the firmware or you'll be sending your first-production-lot unit ordered the day Jason announces it back for a firmware bug fix 'quality update'...

plus if launches this year, the person who won the set of 2021 releases will hate you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

patience, grasshopper...

(three times now, I have ordered something and within 45 days of delivery Jason releases next-gen devices...)

Please order an Gungnir Multibit and an Mjolnir so I can order the next gen 45 days later =)

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #68,754 of 152,591
I think if you are going for performance you want a standalone dac, like Modius or Bifrost 2.

Thanks!

I have Jotunheim with True Multibit DAC and a Modius DAC. I prefer the Modius, Schiit Unison USB may have a little to do with this.

Thanks!

Modius (same footprint as Jotunheim and Asgard series for nice stacking) has Unison

What a shame!! yeah, hopefully we can see it in Jot soon. It would be an excellent all-in option.

Will it be a waste to use single ended DAC on balanced amp like Jot? Or will Asgard be a more reasonable option?

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #68,755 of 152,591
Modius (same footprint as Jotunheim and Asgard series for nice stacking) has Unison and AK4493 D/S chipset, while internal DAC card (module) is dual AK4490 non-Unison.
Modi Multibit is presently without Unison either (but also backordered to early Feb 2021)
My understanding is that one of the main benefits from Unison isn't present in the Modius ... or is that the Modi ... something about how it isolates the signal?

Mimby hasn't been ordered with Unison yet if I understand what was said here earlier correctly. Right now the holdup appears to be something else.
Hugely unlikely that active speakers will ever be popular with audiophiles, because this is our hobby. .... Give us more boxes, more wires, more choices and options! We want to try a new amp with favored speakers. Or vice versa.
As GenXers begin to age out, our ability to deal with separates will too ... I don't think the me's are going to want complicated non-disposable much of anything.

Also raw materials for separates could become increasingly more expensive as things heat up.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #68,757 of 152,591
@Jason Stoddard sorry to bother you again with this question, could you tell us what your home listening setup is?

I'm guessing Jotunheim 2 + multibit card + Aeon 2 (though Bifrost 2 or another Aeon are also possibilities).

Currently Jotunheim 2/Bifrost 2, and a wide variety of headphones. And a Lyr 3 with multibit. And a Ragnarok 2 full boat. And Mjolnir 2/Gungnir Multibit. And the crazy 10-tube prototype. You get the idea, there's way too much Schiit around the house. But it's mainly Jotunheim 2/Bifrost 2 on the desk and the Gungnir Multibit/10-tube proto in the comfy chair. No special synergies there, it's just they are about the same size.

At the office, Modi Multibit/Vali 2+.

Aside: some of you are reading way too much into what headphones are shown with our gear in the photos. We ask the photographer for "basic shots, a shot with headphones, a lifestyle shot," and that's what we get. We don't provide headphones or direction on which headphones (unless it was, say, a Valhalla 2 being shot, then we would say "please don't show it with any low-impedance headphones.")

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 21, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #68,758 of 152,591
Please order an Gungnir Multibit and an Mjolnir so I can order the next gen 45 days later =)

ROFL.

this being 2020 and almost over (hopefully), I decided to change up my juju and ordered b-stock modi 3+ (which was actually delivered this time) from first batch listed on the b-stock page. Tonally, IMO, Modi 3+ is better with Magni 3+ instead of Asgard 3.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #68,760 of 152,591
Hugely unlikely that active speakers will ever be popular with audiophiles, because this is our hobby. Actives make sense in the pro studio, where they are tools which had better simply work and even better if they work simply. Audiophiles abhor simplicity. Give us more boxes, more wires, more choices and options! We want to try a new amp with favored speakers. Or vice versa.

Also, studios can afford to spend enough to get really good products like ATC or Genelec. I'd be highly suspicious of any "reasonably priced " active. OTOH, if Jason were to work with Salk Sound (for example,) that might yield something worth hearing. Though he seems to be pretty busy already planning multiple assaults on my wallet.

Maybe I'm not a true audiophile, but I don't want complexity, I just want the best sound for the price I can afford.
The JBL LSR305's are very reasonably priced but sound fantastic to my ear!

I happily sold my passive speakers with ribbon tweeters after getting a set of the 305's, they seem to synergize really well with Multibit dac's and offer a fantastic soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back