Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #68,761 of 152,615
A cost-effective stereo preamp with bass management would likely be a welcome addition in the marketplace. I get questions all the time about integrating a subwoofer into a 2-chanel system. Analog pres with bass management are few, far between, and costly, leaving most users to Rube-Goldberg something.
Speaking of adding a subwoofer to a 2 channel setup, my solution was to use a mixer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00102ZN40
I split off the DAC, with L & R going into two channels of the mixer, and the output goes to the sub.

Anyone find a cheaper or higher quality solution?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #68,762 of 152,615
Dec 21, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #68,763 of 152,615
<snip>

Will it be a waste to use single ended DAC on balanced amp like Jot? Or will Asgard be a more reasonable option?

Reasons for Jotunheim 2:
If you are planning to run a pair of Aegirs or Vidars in "monoblock" mode,
or powered monitors (with either very long cable runs ~50 feet),
or powered monitors that only have XLR balanced inputs
or you want all-discrete HP amp / pre-amp (but don't need remote volume control),
or your DAC is something like a Gungnir or Yggdrasil with 2 DAC chips per channel, with XLR outs

AFAIK, the 4490 internal DAC card has dual AK4490EQ chips and is hardware balanced to the connector.
Otherwise, Asgard 3 is a very good option, and plenty of power for most headphones. (I have one :gs1000smile: and no plans for Jotunheim 2)

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #68,764 of 152,615
Currently Jotunheim 2/Bifrost 2, and a wide variety of headphones. And a Lyr 3 with multibit. And a Ragnarok 2 full boat. And Mjolnir 2/Gungnir Multibit. And the crazy 10-tube prototype. You get the idea, there's way too much Schiit around the house. But it's mainly Jotunheim 2/Bifrost 2 on the desk and the Gungnir Multibit/10-tube proto in the comfy chair. No special synergies there, it's just they are about the same size.
Curious why Bifrost rather than multibit? As a buyer the MB option appears to be much better value. Does Bifrost add that much?

At the office, Modi Multibit/Vali 2+.

I am loving this setup in my office. The sound is divine with Oppo planars.

Cheers

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #68,765 of 152,615
Curious why Bifrost rather than multibit? As a buyer the MB option appears to be much better value. Does Bifrost add that much?

Cheers

The Bifrost 2 is a Multibit DAC. The OG Bifrost was available as a DS or MB DAC. I have a Bifrost OG and have both sets of DAC cards, since I'm OCD. :L3000:

Edit: I'm interested in the Vali 2+ as well. I hope it would work well with a set of HiFiMan HE-400i's, that are arriving soon.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #68,767 of 152,615

Cheers
I am going with a Hel and DT770 32Ohm for my work setup - open office with several days in the week reaching 7+ hours of meetings all taken at the desk (shoot me now please). Also helps that the computer they gave (and won't swap) has a bum mic input (standard combo port, but the headphone out works for whatever reason) but as the internal mic works no replacement allowed so USB ADC to the rescue.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #68,768 of 152,615
The Bifrost 2 is a Multibit DAC. The OG Bifrost was available as a DS or MB DAC. I have a Bifrost OG and have both sets of DAC cards, since I'm OCD. :L3000:

Edit: I'm interested in the Vali 2+ as well. I hope it would work well with a set of HiFiMan HE-400i's, that are arriving soon.

I can tell you, for me, the Vali 2 plays very nicely with my he400i. I'm sure Vali 2+ will be great with them

Attachments

• PXL_20201213_022031213.jpg
    PXL_20201213_022031213.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 22, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #68,771 of 152,615
Maybe they just need better headphones. :smirk:

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #68,772 of 152,615
Jason said that some people use a sub with the headphones. so one can feel the bass as well as hear it.

A friend of mine makes EDM with a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s and a subpack so he can feel the bass. He also has a pair of huge Genelecs (8050 I think, although I know there are a lot bigger Genelecs out there). Yet he looks at my gear like I'm the crazy one. He could use some Schiit in his rack IMO.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #68,773 of 152,615
Jason said that some people use a sub with the headphones. so one can feel the bass as well as hear it.

Ah I see, I recall hearing about concerts that are dialed up to 12 for this very reason. Their names escape me unfortunately, though I saw a picture of the speakers they used

Maybe they just need better headphones. :smirk:

Or a Loki Mini to add more bass...

A friend of mine makes EDM with a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s and a subpack so he can feel the bass. He also has a pair of huge Genelecs (8050 I think, although I know there are a lot bigger Genelecs out there). Yet he looks at my gear like I'm the crazy one. He could use some Schiit in his rack IMO.

I see, it didn't occur to me that I should use an open headphone with the speakers/subs for this, not my closed headphones

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #68,774 of 152,615
Curious why Bifrost rather than multibit? As a buyer the MB option appears to be much better value.
I don't think I'd consider Jason a "buyer", and his choice would not be based on better value. Anyway you quoted him, and your answer is right there, "No special synergies there, it's just they are about the same size."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back