Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 29, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #69,196 of 152,175
It's a little annoying that I can't find gear I purchased on the site. Sometimes I need a little help and actually have to read instructions, compare specs, etc. Speaking of minor annoyances, I'd like to be able to look up the order number in my purchase history. Right now I have to go into my email history, which I'm not good at saving receipts in, or ASK THE PEOPLE AT SCHIIT which I'm sure they love answering those questions. What's my order number from four years ago?

Five year warranties require five year plans.
I'm sure that thay find it annoying that you can't login and search your own order history. (No offence intended.) But if you log on you can find everything, provided you made an account. I can find everything from my OG Bifrost purchase, and all its upgrades from 2011 to today.

Dec 29, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #69,198 of 152,175
Just backread the posts

I hope Pietro is fine ...

I can attest to this cos let's just say, "been there, done that" and "this is one reason why only recently I then can afford to try to get an Eitr (or other audio stuff)" :wink:
I've been in a bad spot myself, my father died a few months ago, suprising the tolll it takes even when we're 'ready' for it.

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #69,200 of 152,175
I added columns for price, crosstalk, and output impedance. I also used Way Back Machine to get the specs from the older versions, they really have put out a lot of products over the years!

KGp1e8O.jpg

Here's the spreadsheet if you guys want to tweak it or add your own amps for comparison, I hid all the rows for past products to make it easier to look at, just "unhide all" if you want to see everything from the beginning:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4lpa_zoQltaX1ZEUkQ5NkRJUmM
Here's an updated copy of the Schiit Spec Comparison:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mSKIl8oojX6qPkJjaMq2lUnQJhdZbF90/view?usp=sharing

If you want to see and compare the old products too, highlight everything, right click, and select "unhide" to make the rows visible.

Although I have to admit that spending some time at ASR has me much less interested in using the specs as a purchasing decision.
I'll take my Bifrost 2 over a Topping any day!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #69,201 of 152,175
IIRC, we all volunteered you to be the Project Lead on this. Do you have any status updates for us? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:
I've linked to the Discontinued Product Archive on the site, under Guides: https://el8442.wixsite.com/schiitarchive

And, in keeping with the sine wave diagram, expect a year-end wrap-up chapter tomorrow.
Thank goodness @Jason Stoddard has us covered. I've been too busy defending the honor on TX pit masters from ambush attacks to work on that project.

Or, since I just watched Apocalypse Now again, "Sir, I am unaware of any such mission, or operation. Nor would I be disposed to discuss any such mission or operation if it did, in fact, exist."

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #69,203 of 152,175
Thank goodness @Jason Stoddard has us covered. I've been too busy defending the honor on TX pit masters from ambush attacks to work on that project.

Or, since I just watched Apocalypse Now again, "Sir, I am unaware of any such mission, or operation. Nor would I be disposed to discuss any such mission or operation if it did, in fact, exist."
In those sorts of situations I usually just say, "I could tell you but than I'd have to kill you."

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #69,205 of 152,175
In those sorts of situations I usually just say, "I could tell you but than I'd have to kill you."
I've been begging people at work to tell me...but they never follow through. I guess that's because if they killed me, they'd have to do my work!

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #69,206 of 152,175
I've linked to the Discontinued Product Archive on the site, under Guides: https://el8442.wixsite.com/schiitarchive

And, in keeping with the sine wave diagram, expect a year-end wrap-up chapter tomorrow.
Redundant entry from the Redundant Department of Redundancies.

That's OK. I sometimes think that my wife finds me Redundant too. :grin:

And at last, Archived Docs are linked through the Schiit Guides section. Progress in a Pandemic. I can't argue with that. :beerchug:

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #69,207 of 152,175
Wouldn't matter much. Worse case Z_out is 1.8 Ohms at high gain. With 32 Ohms headphones you still have a pretty high damping factor of ~17.8.

Thanks, Carlos. You sent me down a path to learning about damping factors. Cobwebs were swept away, though I say there are many layers yet to go.

On low gain, 32 ohms for the Grado SR80s divided by 0.4 ohms output impedance from the Vali 2+, gives a DF of 80.

Y'all think DF is as critical with headphone drivers as it is for loud speakers? Are target ranges for DF for headphones similar to loud speakers, i.e. DF 50 to 100?

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #69,209 of 152,175
Thanks, Carlos. You sent me down a path to learning about damping factors. Cobwebs were swept away, though I say there are many layers yet to go.

On low gain, 32 ohms for the Grado SR80s divided by 0.4 ohms output impedance from the Vali 2+, gives a DF of 80.

Y'all think DF is as critical with headphone drivers as it is for loud speakers? Are target ranges for DF for headphones similar to loud speakers, i.e. DF 50 to 100?
From my past, albeit limited, research DF is more important for loud speakers than for headphones because of the larger drivers that are more reactive and have larger back EMF on the amplifier.

For headphones, I have read that DF 8~10 should be minimum, DF > 20 would be ideal. DF is more important for dynamic driver headphones than for planars because planars almost always have a constant impedance throughout their frequency range. Dynamic driver headphones' impedance vary more depending on frequency.

Disclaimer: This is what I remember reading across multiple internet sources/forums/etc but I do not speak with any authority as an electrical engineer / audio designer. Hopefully, somebody can correct my answer if I made a mistake or overlooked something.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #69,210 of 152,175

generally, any DF > 10 is adequate. For Valhalla 2 (OTL tube headphone amp) the output impedance, aka Zout is 3.5 ohms on low gain, 14 on high gain, and is best with 250-600 ohm cans. Lower Zout is often achieved with high open loop gain and large amounts of global feedback. Some users, myself included, prefer designs (e.g. Asgard series) with lower open loop gain and low or zero global feedback. Noise floor is probably more important, especially with high sensitivity cans / IEMs.

For loudspeakers, especially ported systems (4th order and higher), there may be several impedance (both in magnitude and phase) peaks and valleys in the bass region, and these can interact with amplifier's output impedance to cause frequency and phase response shifts.

Dynamic headphones typically behave more like second order systems with a single impedance peak centered at the bass resonant frequency.

Bass is not only heard, it is also sensed by other body parts.

Caution: the rabbit-hole gets deep and very expensive if one is not careful.

IMO, spending 1.5x more on headphones is more like a sidegrade than an upgrade. 3x more gets one to the next level in headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back