Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 25, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #120,451 of 151,047
So good. RIP.

Screenshot_20230624_222745_MAFA.jpg

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #120,453 of 151,047
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

End Of The Line...... Traveling Wilburys

Jun 26, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #120,454 of 151,047
What tricks are on the subwoofer output of Syn? (or all the outputs and how they combine...??) I know it has a pretty steep low pass, but it seems to be something else, and I'm now enjoying the best integration of my sub with my system that I can recall. Up to now it's been through the HT Pre/Pro or an AVR.

I have the sub crossover dialed all the way up, so Syn is doing all the work, and have had to dial back the the level on the sub because Syn's output is at a decent level.

I know measurements and fussing over stuff is the antithesis of Syn, but I'm still not settled completely on the variable phase of the sub but getting there. Any tips on how to measure the phase setup with REW? When I get that aligned, I'm done. (I wish it had a 0 & 180 degree switch sometimes)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #120,455 of 151,047
Good idea, except a/c units are not large enough to house meaningful solar panels. Solar requires a large surface area. I have a 14.5KW array on my roof which supplies 90% of my house needs here in Arizona, and that means 50 solar panels each at 1.7 sq meters. And I won’t talk about heat since 45c is common here, although humidity above 40% only occurs a few days each year. The old dry heat joke is pretty true. What parts of Texas are experiencing is completely different with their humidity.
true 25 degrees Celsius in NL feels way hotter than 30 degrees here in Portugal

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #120,456 of 151,047
Wind and Schiit go together like ...?
We make our Schiit where the Sun shines...?

sorry.
Surely Schiit should be powered entirely by biogas…

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #120,457 of 151,047
Jun 26, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #120,458 of 151,047
Jun 26, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #120,459 of 151,047
To me, it's always seemed the most sensible thing to put in solar panels directly into the A/C units. Sunnier it is, more power to the A/C. Seems like the perfect solution.
Yah but... power requirements for even the most efficient heat pumps (today) will quickly swamp smaller solar installations. It's getting better - but we're not there, yet. I keep imagining a solar powered car that never needs charging, but the reality is much different (today)...

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #120,460 of 151,047
(I wish it had a 0 & 180 degree switch sometimes)
I don't use REW, but Studio Six Audio Tools. Anymore, I just try 0, 45, 90, 135, and 180 degrees and see what sounds/looks best. Initially, I was thrilled to be able to adjust phase in one degree increments. But now it just adds to my audio neurosis. Quite often I just end up back at 0 degrees, as different phase settings seem to improve one aspect at the expense of another.....

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #120,461 of 151,047
* Do have some low-level hum though so have to do some cable work to find out where it's coming from, either ground loop or induction. Can't hear it with the music even down low, but 'cause I know it's there my OCD is kicking in
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #120,462 of 151,047
Lots of restaurants in Sonoma. Superb restaurants in Yountville (ultra pricey French Laundry and excellent and affordable Bouchon Bistro). Wine tours - Mum, Chandon, Carneros. Highly recommend an afternoon visit to Domaine Carneros.
Agreed on Bouchon, it's marvelous but you'll need to make a reservation early... they load up fast in the summer.

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #120,465 of 151,047
Mustards Grill is good and a less formal as well. And not particularly pricey. Perhaps not great for larger groups though.
Mustard's is a nice spot, but I like Brix better for lunch - it's about a 1/4 mile south of Mustard's.

Bouchon Bakery is worth a stop.
And Bouchon Bistro is definitely worth a stop for lunch, but reservations can be hard to get (as others have noted).

Auberge du Soleil is good for fancy brunch I’m told tho I’ve never been.
I had my 60th birthday party there with friends. The venue is stunning, the food was variable. Yes, that's blasphemy, I know - but at these prices, expectations are high.

Trefethen is good for cabs
Agreed 100%. Trefethen is at the corner of CA29 and Oak Knoll Ave, IMHO a great place to cross over to the Silverado Trail. Also nearby: Stag's Leap Wine Cellars - the original vineyard that produced the 1976 Judgement of Paris wine. There's is also a "Stags' Leap Winery" about a mile up the road... not the same. Caveat emptor.

Silverado Vineyards is a beautiful stop with great wines. B Cellars on Oakville Cross Rd is fun, too - next door to my Napa favorite, Gargiulo Vineyards. And, as long as you're on Oakville Cross... you should likely stop at Silver Oak.

Keep heading WNW on Silverado Trail - Joseph Phelps (!) is a stunner with prices to match, but a great experience. Like Chardonnay? Rombauer is just a few winding miles up the Trail...

Back on Hwy 128, north of Barro, is Schramsberg, for sparkling wine fans. And since I need to get back to work soon, N of Calistoga at Tubbs Lane and CA 29 is Chateau Montelena, which is always a lovely time...

And then there is Carneros, down south... both the Napa and Sonoma sides. And, don't forget all of the Sonoma Valley AVA, just to the west of the Napa Valley. I could go on for hours - I live 15 minutes from Sears Point... need more reccos, PM me <g>

Grgich has my favorite Chardonnay
Yes and a wonderful place to spend a few hours. The Chards are classically (Chablis) styled, with no malolactic fermentation. If you want butter and oak, head up to Rombauer. :innocent:

Frog Leap is good and less pricey and more generous with their pours (though it’s been years since I’ve last been so hopefully they haven’t gotten stingy like most places in Napa).
All of Napa is stingy these days, @eyoon . Even the big names are suffering (to some extent) a) post-COVID and b) due to changes in the demographic. Napa has gone high-level with the experience (and the prices) - Sonoma is more approachable - especially out in Dry Creek (up near Healdsburg).

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back