Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 21, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #128,926 of 152,979
Arrrghhh ! Christmas !!!??? not even Halloween yet !!!!! --- Big chain coffee chains, Malls and Supermarkets please stop with the Christmas music until at least mid November !!!
I agree, by the time Christmas rolls around it's like, "ho-hum". You can only sustain that "looking forward to" anticipation attitude for so long. My local Home Depot has their Christmas stuff on display already and I'm sure many other retailing businesses do as well. After Thanksgiving is soon enough to start for me and at my age there's not a lot of shopping to do anyway.

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #128,927 of 152,979
Ahh... that's not a cat.
In fact, I'm not sure what that is...
You haven't been getting reports of unexplained lights in the sky in your area, have you?

Those are kind of creepy, but they're the only marsupial we have in the Western hemisphere. You've got all the cool ones. 🤣

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #128,928 of 152,979
I agree, by the time Christmas rolls around it's like, "ho-hum". You can only sustain that "looking forward to" anticipation attitude for so long. My local Home Depot has their Christmas stuff on display already and I'm sure many other retailing businesses do as well. After Thanksgiving is soon enough to start for me and at my age there's not a lot of shopping to do anyway.
I do not mind selling Christmas merchandise, they have to beat the competition or they lose sales. But the music bugs me before Thanksgiving. At a minimum please wait until November!

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #128,929 of 152,979
This Yggy review - LINK - states:

"... It seems that Mike Moffat and company did a stellar job with the latest version of the Yggdrasil ($2,599). If you are looking to save a little money on the purchase, I would recommend the Schiit Yggdrasil More Is Less ($2,349). For the most analog sounding device of the three, the Less Is More ($2,199). ..."

Another Schiitr reviewer in a blind session preferred the LIM and claimed MM did too. So if the LIM sounds analog (and music is analog) what does the OG sound? Less analog? More digital? Just asking...
The YGGY 'OG' sounds like live music, acoustic , amplified, or a combination of both.

When I read that something sounds "more analog" my takeaway is that there is a specific sonic quality being overlaid on the music that the reviewer interprets as resembling a specific set of sonic qualities they associate with certain reproduction chains.

Does "more analog" mean that it includes (or adds) the inherent noise of a diamond scraping away, albeit gently, the surface of a plastic record? Does it include (or add) the hiss inherent to analog tape? :smirk_cat:

Analog and digital reproduction systems, with tubes or solid state, are attempts at creating the illusion that John Coltrane, or the Grateful Dead, are performing in my living room. I like stuff that gets out of the way of the music, and YGGY does that nicely in my system, in my room, in my ears. :smiley_cat:

Whatever works for each of us is what works.

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #128,930 of 152,979
From the Schiit Modius FAQ page:
Well, I’m gonna get me a fancy-shmantzy linear power supply, what do you think about that?
We think you’re a little strange, because the output of that fancy power supply is going into a switcher, anyway.

I recently moved my SOtM sMS-200 Neo to the desktop system, feeding a Modius DAC. The sMS is powered from a Zero-Zone 50W linear power supply. I hear an improvement when I disconnect the Modius switch mode supply, leaving the USB connection to power the DAC. My question is, does the USB 5V power also go through the Modius power switcher?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #128,933 of 152,979
From the Schiit Modius FAQ page:
Well, I’m gonna get me a fancy-shmantzy linear power supply, what do you think about that?
We think you’re a little strange, because the output of that fancy power supply is going into a switcher, anyway.

I recently moved my SOtM sMS-200 Neo to the desktop system, feeding a Modius DAC. The sMS is powered from a Zero-Zone 50W linear power supply. I hear an improvement when I disconnect the Modius switch mode supply, leaving the USB connection to power the DAC. My question is, does the USB 5V power also go through the Modius power switcher?

There are some 5V switching power supplies better than others. A while ago I read a comment by reviewer and forum member @Currawong saying that a Modi would benefit from using an Apple 5V power supply. I had a few on hand and tried them; he was right the improvement was quite noticeable, the sound is smoother and more detailed.

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #128,934 of 152,979
Arrrghhh ! Christmas !!!??? not even Halloween yet !!!!! --- Big chain coffee chains, Malls and Supermarkets please stop with the Christmas music until at least mid November !!!
Should not be allowed until after Thanksgiving or your business license would be terminated.

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #128,935 of 152,979
Oct 21, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #128,936 of 152,979
It won't be a silent night, anyway. Well, until afterwards. When not a creature was stirring.
Dark, very dark. I like it! And correctly seasonal... :jack_o_lantern:

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #128,937 of 152,979
There are some 5V switching power supplies better than others. A while ago I read a comment by reviewer and forum member @Currawong saying that a Modi would benefit from using an Apple 5V power supply. I had a few on hand and tried them; he was right the improvement was quite noticeable, the sound is smoother and more detailed.
I replaced the Modius SMPS with a 5V iPower and heard no difference, as predicted by Schiit. I definitely heard significantly better sound when I disconnected the Modius psu and drew power from the sMS-200/LPS.

I still have my question though, does 5V from the USB cable bypass the Modius' internal switcher? @Jason Stoddard ?

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #128,938 of 152,979
I replaced the Modius SMPS with a 5V iPower and heard no difference, as predicted by Schiit. I definitely heard significantly better sound when I disconnected the Modius psu and drew power from the sMS-200/LPS.

I still have my question though, does 5V from the USB cable bypass the Modius' internal switcher? @Jason Stoddard ?
Those iPowers leak a lot of noise, esp on a shared power strip. I don't use them any more !!

Oct 21, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #128,939 of 152,979
Phase preservation question for @Jason Stoddard :

Do Schiit Audio amps, namely:

Mani 2
Freya S
Kara
Vidar 2
Tyr

preserve or invert signal phase?

For all inputs? SE, balanced, or combinations thereof?

I bet they do given that Yggi product offer phase inversion, a nice feature that can be used for inverted phase recordings. I recall Doug Sax direct to disc LPs with phase information.

Oct 21, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #128,940 of 152,979
Skoll!

Sure looks pretty in my rig. Only problem is it doesn't output any audio on either set of outputs, with or without the separate SUT, on any output level ☹️. In the highest output level w balanced out, I can get the 60hz hornets nest sound, but that's about it!

Was listening earlier today on the mani 2 and all was well. Completely possible that something in the chain got affected by my crawling around behind the rack and plugging/unplugging things, but for the moment I'm at a loss. My DAC, which is also plugged into the freya N is passing audio through the system.

Gonna swap the mani 2 back in and if that works, take it from there.

If anybody has any ideas not already covered by the above-described scenarios I tried, they would be appreciated!

Edit: Still working with the mani 2.

Edit2: Solved!
20231021_135835.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back