Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #133,051 of 152,442
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #133,052 of 152,442
I think that's correct, you would only be driving one side of each Aegir.

I've never actually tried that, so I can't be sure. But theoretically, doing so should mean that your speaker membranes would only see half the amplitude, plus be biased towards either the positive or the negative side of the swing instead of neutral, because the one side is not "pulling" while the other is "pushing" (and vice versa)…

Right…? 🤔

It's been a long day of debugging other peoples' abomination of code plus hours of navigating a whole bunch of a standards body's bureaucratic clusterf#@k for me, so my brain's on the verge of being completely fried. Means that there's a good chance I'm either overthinking this or that I'm on the wrong track altogether.
But if I'm not, this sounds to me like this could be a bit unhealthy for the speakers, especially if driven to a somewhat higher volume. At a minimum, driving the membranes this lopsided should result in a bit of distortion.

But then again: Fried brain, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
speaker cone will still have symmetrical movement, driven by the active side of the Aegir. other "inactive" speaker lead is held at virtual ground by the output of the undriven side of the Aegir (input of "undriven" side held effectively near ground by potentiometer wiper to ground resistance). Shouldn't be a big DC offset present at the speaker.

IHMO you should take a break from coding for the night, lest you spaghetti-up your own clean new code (and needlessly spend a few days debugging it). IIRC Jason had once said something along the lines of "take the win, take the lose"

Bingo. It'll work, but it will be 1/2 voltage output, or 1/4 power output. So 5W into 8 ohms. If you like it, cool. That's all that matters.

Have a beer. Not worth worrying about. Use what sounds best to you.

Sorry, I don't do nervosa. That's not what we're about. Hence no external power supplies portrayed as upgrades rather than band-aids, fancy-pants "hand-selected, tuned by golden ears" upgrades, no unobtanium cables, no "better" tubes, no "golden versions," no sounds-better firmware versions, no "this color sounds better," etc.
For" monoblock" connected Aegir / Freya in passive mode / RCA SE source to Freya case: doesn't the undriven side of the Aegir hold the output at virtual ground, so same power as for SE input into "stereo-mode" so 20Wpc, but still wasting half of each Aegir.

(Added)
My thanks to Jason and the rest of the Schiit team, especially with higher seasonal demand, longer working hours. Looking forward to more affordable and interesting products in 2024.

I like the idea of the Last Call section-- gives potential buyers a heads-up about new versions on the horizon, and the choice of purchasing the phasing-out product at reduced cost or waiting for the next gen.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #133,053 of 152,442
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #133,054 of 152,442
Remembering the good ole' days of the EITR ... in my house it used to cause the relay on the GUNGNIR to click, seemingly randomly. Following a post by Mike MOFFAT that pointed the finger of blame at mains interference (IIRC) I bought an isolating transformer for all my gear ... a heavy beast !

Result ... random clicks stopped and I was certain that I heard better dynamic range ... but that could just be me and my audiofoolic ears !

So, the transformer has stayed in my system ever since.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #133,055 of 152,442
I'm not interested in making products just for the sake of products, I'm just a little weirded out that something so simple is so expensive. I don't think a regenerator does anything for anyone, unless their AC is extremely bad or if it is over/under voltage. Just a question. Weird.
My shotgun take on it, from mucking about for years. I can't prove anything below, it's all anecdotal.

Very early in my "journey" I had a Northstar DAC that, at one point, I decided to sell. At that point, I decided to try an "audiophile" power cable (DIY IIRC, as it is cheaper) and just before I shipped the Northstar, I decided to try it on that DAC, and there was an improvement in the sound. It only had a very simple PSU, IIRC. On the other extreme, an DAC/amp I have with a power regenerator seems to be totally unaffected by what I plug it in to.

I bought a Power Plant Premier (PPP) for cheap second-hand, and it seemed to improve things a bit with some components, but not others. I haven't tested this for a long while, as it is mostly a convenient way of switching off multiple components at once.

More recently, I used a heap of old speaker wire to create a very long power cable for the PPP that goes to a spare power point for an aircon (I'm in a double room) and the sound of my system got a bit darker, presumably from slightly lower noise. Supposedly longer lengths of power cable act as high-frequency noise filters.

Years before, I put my computer system on a power filter, didn't notice a difference, then when I removed it, my system didn't sound as good. As a result, I found that if I use noise isolation to prevent wall warts sending noise back into the power for other components, it seems to help. The way I noticed this is, ironically, because different USB cables in my system don't seem to make a difference after I set things up this way -- or at least a difference that I can notice. Since USB cables can potentially carry noise through the ground plane, I figured that the filtering is helping.

I'd love to actually know what is going on to explain my experiences, but that'll have to wait until I can get equipment to test things, which may not ever happen.

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #133,056 of 152,442
Yesterday morning I placed an order for the Asgard 3/Dan Clark Aeon RT combo and it shipped the same day! How's that for service!
This will be my first foray into headphone ownership and I'm looking forward to it.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #133,057 of 152,442
Yesterday morning I placed an order for the Asgard 3/Dan Clark Aeon RT combo and it shipped the same day! How's that for service!
This will be my first foray into headphone ownership and I'm looking forward to it.
And I think you may love it ... imagine not being concerned about speaker placement, self-placement, room treatment etc ! Within limits of your headphone cable, you can sit and listen where you like !

I have the DCA AEON Flow Open (OG), which I think is the basis for the RT, and I still use it today, albeit with the newer pads.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #133,058 of 152,442
Anything should be fine, since the switches and pots are sealed and won't be affected by cleaners. No experience with any of the products named, though.

Correct, OG is about done. Soon it won't be an option on the ordering page. Maybe next week.

I'm not interested in making products just for the sake of products, I'm just a little weirded out that something so simple is so expensive. I don't think a regenerator does anything for anyone, unless their AC is extremely bad or if it is over/under voltage. Just a question. Weird.

My power fluctuates from 131v to 118v over the run of a year (currently at 125v, which is normal for this time of year). I'm not too fussed about it because while high on the high end, my understanding is that most modern electronics' power supply/regulators take care of business to ensure what's needed gets to the electronics and that they have tolerances built-in. I use quality APC UPS' on my audio and computer stacks that also do basic power conditioning. I've not lost any electronics due to power issues in the ~18 years I've lived here.

I did reach out to the power utility last year when we were hitting 131v for a few weeks but no one got back to me.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #133,060 of 152,442
My power fluctuates from 131v to 118v over the run of a year (currently at 125v, which is normal for this time of year). I'm not too fussed about it because while high on the high end, my understanding is that most modern electronics' power supply/regulators take care of business to ensure what's needed gets to the electronics and that they have tolerances built-in. I use quality APC UPS' on my audio and computer stacks that also do basic power conditioning. I've not lost any electronics due to power issues in the ~18 years I've lived here.

I did reach out to the power utility last year when we were hitting 131v for a few weeks but no one got back to me.
We have 220V as a basis here in the Netherlands. The last decade it has gone up to 230V.
Now with wind generators and solar panels an offset of 10% is allowed (and pretty normal) by the utility companies. Because of massive problems on the grid they want to go 15% max offset. That could mean 265V max instead of the "old" 220V.
Now look at my Quad ESL-63's designed for 220V in the 80's.
They have a transformer and Cockroft-Walton multiplier to create bias voltage for the charge on the Mylar diaphragm. That just goes up linear with the grid voltage. It goes from 5.2 KV to 6.25 KV. It will go louder.... For a short period. Still thinking how to solve that in very limited space.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #133,061 of 152,442
We have 220V as a basis here in the Netherlands. The last decade it has gone up to 230V.
Now with wind generators and solar panels an offset of 10% is allowed (and pretty normal) by the utility companies. Because of massive problems on the grid they want to go 15% max offset. That could mean 265V max instead of the "old" 220V.
Now look at my Quad ESL-63's designed for 220V in the 80's.
They have a transformer and Cockroft-Walton multiplier to create bias voltage for the charge on the Mylar diaphragm. That just goes up linear with the grid voltage. It goes from 5.2 KV to 6.25 KV. It will go louder.... For a short period. Still thinking how to solve that in very limited space.

I forgot about vintage equipment. You might be able to implement a whole-home power conditioner for your home/apartment. Something to look into, and something I've considered.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #133,062 of 152,442
I forgot about vintage equipment. You might be able to implement a whole-home power conditioner for your home/apartment. Something to look into, and something I've considered.
And now you refurbish those speakers for other enthusiasts who also use vintage amps and don't understand what you are talking about.
Disaster in the making.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #133,063 of 152,442
My shotgun take on it, from mucking about for years. I can't prove anything below, it's all anecdotal.

I found that if I use noise isolation to prevent wall warts sending noise back into the power for other components, it seems to help.
Shunyata does a lot in their products to prevent noise from component power supplies from feeding back down the line to negatively impact other components. They have a product division that sells power gear to hospitals and other medical facilities since they have demonstrated positive effects on medical imaging and other equipment like heart monitors.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #133,064 of 152,442
I was at this concert. My first Dead show. Commander Cody and the lost planet airmen, Maria Muldar, and 2 sets with the Dead (with Seastones during the set break). It started a lifelong relationship with the band that lasts to this day.

Leo
Congratulations! That is an excellent first show.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #133,065 of 152,442
Where I used to live (Portland, OR) almost every day in the summer the incoming voltage to the house would drop to as low as 85 volts at 55 hz. I called the power company and they installed a line monitor. Turned out they switched sources around when folks started to come home and turn on their air conditioning. Our block of houses got a larger transformer and they changed how they did their switching and the problem went away. While this was all playing out I purchased an isolation transformer with multiple voltage taps that switched automatically. It kept my stereo happy while they got the problem sorted. So, perhaps uncommon but it does happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back