Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #133,336 of 152,440
I'm running the URD into an Yggy OG A2, so can't comment on the May DAC, but I recently treated myself to the 'Evolved' USB cable from Curious Cables. It's not inexpensive, but it does make a significant difference to SQ over the standard USB cable that I was using up to then.
Got excited and read that as "it's not expensive", quick google search and oh no! Back to my 5 dollar monoprice cable
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 10.40.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #133,337 of 152,440
Got excited and read that as "it's not expensive", quick google search and oh no! Back to my 5 dollar monoprice cable Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 10.40.37 PM.png

Diminishing returns hits ultra hard with cables. I use Audioquest Pearl USB-C to USB-B from SP2000 DAP to Yggy+ MIB and found it to sound better than Schiit's PYST USB cable and even the more expensive Wireworld Starlight 8 USB that I use for laptop to Yggy+ MIB. In my case, source mattered more than cable but it doesn't change the fact that the total digital delivery to DAC is still the sum of cables and source

12237753.png

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #133,338 of 152,440
wondering about these $$$ USB cables, esp if there are audible differences discernable under blind testing with listeners of high audible acuity. the USB +5VDC power and return current to drive the Unison front-end as well as the differential "digital" data pair under USB 2.0 are both balanced, so adding (2pc snap-on/ clamp-on) ferrites to bog-standard USB cabling might be very effective for this application (reducing AC ground loop & common-mode HF noise), as well as $ cost-effective.

For those fellow Schiitizens looking to try this mod (no soldering needed, and easily reversible) try a single ferrite assembly the source end of the cable, or one at the load (DAC) end of the cable, or at both ends.

Currently using an old USB2.0 cable with ferrites molded in on both ends with iPhone USB3 Camera Adapter & OG Bifrost Multibit (with pre-prod v0.9x Unison USB module). Works reliably.

(note: I was not part of the Unison beta, just the right timing to ask for one at the completion of beta when Jason posted about it on this thread.)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #133,339 of 152,440
I'm running the URD into an Yggy OG A2, so can't comment on the May DAC, but I recently treated myself to the 'Evolved' USB cable from Curious Cables. It's not inexpensive, but it does make a significant difference to SQ over the standard USB cable that I was using up to then.
Have you connected Urd to Yggy with AES/EBU? It’s quite good.

I use a AES/EBU WBT cable.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #133,340 of 152,440
No quantum tunneling. Each dot is cryo-treated and double quantum funnel-caked. Plus they're only $8.59 at Office depot for 768 of them. High priced and snake-oily plain ole quantum tunneling is sooo yester-year. :rolling_eyes:

Pro tip: Firmly adhere one on your speaker's tweeter and those harsh and sibilant highs are totally gone. The difference is night and day!! :wink:

** mic drop **
But at this time of year, it must be heat treated to function properly in these winter months. So what you have there are SUMMER dots. So at the moment, you and all your gear will have to journey to the southern hemisphere for them to work.

No doubt Bill is aware of this, but Tarheel that he is, he’s far too nice to point it out.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #133,341 of 152,440
wondering about these $$$ USB cables, esp if there are audible differences discernable under blind testing with listeners of high audible acuity. the USB +5VDC power and return current to drive the Unison front-end as well as the differential "digital" data pair under USB 2.0 are both balanced, so adding (2pc snap-on/ clamp-on) ferrites to bog-standard USB cabling might be very effective for this application (reducing AC ground loop & common-mode HF noise), as well as $ cost-effective.

For those fellow Schiitizens looking to try this mod (no soldering needed, and easily reversible) try a single ferrite assembly the source end of the cable, or one at the load (DAC) end of the cable, or at both ends.

Blind test, it's gonna be almost impossible to tell the difference for me. When I don't get to relax to listening, I lose my sense to detect differences in components let alone cables. Kudos to people who can keep their concentration when performing strenuous blind testing and be able to distinguish between components.

FWIW, I have the iFi Gemini USB 2.0 with 3 ferrite shields and separate power and data cable connected to my iFi iUSB 3.0 and I still prefer the sound of my SP2000 through Audioquest Pearl against the laptop with iFi iUSB 3.0 decrapifier, wireworld starlight 8 and ifi gemini cable. The SP2000 DAP provides that super clean digital delivery to DACs that to me is superior to most DDCs with Windows or Mac OS laptop as the front end. Maybe Urd can change my mind, but URD = $1200 CD/DDC without USB cables while AQ Pearl is $50 and I use my SP2000 as double duty Roon endpoint + source and DAP on the go so I'm already set.

IMG_8982.JPG

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #133,342 of 152,440
Not that far from Williamsburg (Baltimore area) and inlaws in Richmond. Brand?
oddly, been researching that for a bit. Will advise…

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #133,343 of 152,440
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #133,344 of 152,440
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #133,345 of 152,440
Yup Newcastle Brown ale sucks in the Uk now too ! transformed from nectar of the gods to sewage water recently !!!
... and we've all heard about sewage in the UK !!

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #133,346 of 152,440
I'll check Curious Cables, Headcase. Thanks for your input.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #133,347 of 152,440
How did you connect the Urd with the Curious Cable? They don't offer USB-C cable to USB-B though
They do if you ask them. I told them what the two Schiit components were, and they made the cable with the correct connectors.
It was well worth it, to squeeze the last drop of goodness out of my system. As always YMMV.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #133,348 of 152,440
Got excited and read that as "it's not expensive", quick google search and oh no! Back to my 5 dollar monoprice cable
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 10.40.37 PM.png
I know...:astonished: Well, Xmas was coming up and no other bugger was going to buy it for me. I'm glad it lived up to expectations!
We always have to tell ourselves that we DESERVE that new piece of audio kit, even if we don't need it and money is tight. That's how it is.... :smile::sweat:

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #133,349 of 152,440
They do if you ask them. I told them what the two Schiit components were, and they made the cable with the correct connectors.
It was well worth it, to squeeze the last drop of goodness out of my system. As always YMMV.

That's great to know! As far as esoteric USB cables, the Curious Evolve sounds pretty reasonable. If you have time, let us know what kind of improvements did you perceive. For me when comparing USB cables, there are USB cables that are resolving, but flat and sharp tonality. The iFi Gemini 2.0 through the iUSB 3.0 is a prime example of that. The generic cable is obviously rolled-off, lacking dynamics and soundstage depth. The AQ Pearl to my system managed to retain all the resolution of the Wireworld Supernova 7 SPDIF glass toslink and even better nuance than the iFi Gemini 2.0 that I use while making the soundstage spherical 3D with pretty good depth though not as deep as the Supernova 7 Toslink. The dynamics is equally good, PRAT or rhythmic drive is just excellent and this is just from a $50 cable synergy with my SP2000 DAP. I just think I can't blind buy expensive USB due to this synergy thing being pickier than DAC and amp pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back