Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #146,806 of 153,797
Tonight's 2 Jazz recommendations...

The title reminds me of another of my favourites:
IMG_7713.jpeg
[Strata-East: 1974] Sonny Fortune - saxophonist.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #146,807 of 153,797
Stretch music is so, so, so good, one of my favorite albums ever.

Screenshot_20240404_194604_Chrome.jpg

I've seen him each of the last two years, he brings a great group and Weedie Braimah adds so much to the live shows.
Yah! That’s the one that was my gateway drug into his music. Blew my mind into a million pieces

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #146,808 of 153,797
Haven't been here much the last couple days because my Razorbacks got us a good ole fashioned coaching search going on.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #146,809 of 153,797
A'ight, I'm spinning Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' at work while I wait for my work homies to make their Single Barrel selections and I'm curious:

Who is everyone's most favoritest trumpeter?

Five-year-ago Me would have instantly answered Miles Davis* and then drawn a blank on anyone else, but that was before a friend introduced me properly (via original pressing Blue Note records he spun on a custom VPI 'table with a Soundsmith cart) to the Blue Note Records roster of legends.

Now my foremost answer has to be Lee Morgan. Every note he blows is sublimity itself. He is the lone atom at the tip of the tip of the spear of history's trumpet blowers, in my mind.

Secondary and tertiary choices, if I was forced to, might be Byrd followed by Hubbard. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

*I still adore Miles Davis but for me he exists on another plain from everyone else and not solely because of his blowing skills on a trumpet. His greatness lies, in my view, on his overall style and the impact he had on jazz (and fusion) itself over many eons. Hell, he pretty much directly created many of those eons himself just through the force of his will! He will always be goat for that, but not necessarily for the way he worked a trumpet. IN MY OPINION, of course. :)
I like very much Matthew Halsall - album tip: Salute To The Sun (that's how i discovered him, via Hania Rani of his Gondwana Records label)

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #146,810 of 153,797
Honestly, a lot of trumpets hurt my ears. I think that's what I like about Christian Scott (easier than copy/pasting his new name every time). He said the same, and makes his own instruments. Fun fact, if you've watched Treme, the chief's son is based on him, and he also makes a cameo. Such an amazing and authentic artist.
Me too - much prefer Flugelhorn TBH

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #146,812 of 153,797
A'ight, I'm spinning Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' at work while I wait for my work homies to make their Single Barrel selections and I'm curious:

Who is everyone's most favoritest trumpeter?

Five-year-ago Me would have instantly answered Miles Davis* and then drawn a blank on anyone else, but that was before a friend introduced me properly (via original pressing Blue Note records he spun on a custom VPI 'table with a Soundsmith cart) to the Blue Note Records roster of legends.

Now my foremost answer has to be Lee Morgan. Every note he blows is sublimity itself. He is the lone atom at the tip of the tip of the spear of history's trumpet blowers, in my mind.

Secondary and tertiary choices, if I was forced to, might be Byrd followed by Hubbard. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

*I still adore Miles Davis but for me he exists on another plain from everyone else and not solely because of his blowing skills on a trumpet. His greatness lies, in my view, on his overall style and the impact he had on jazz (and fusion) itself over many eons. Hell, he pretty much directly created many of those eons himself just through the force of his will! He will always be goat for that, but not necessarily for the way he worked a trumpet. IN MY OPINION, of course. :)
Just like Mercury Living Presence, and RCA Shaded dogs, Blue Note originals (and don’t forget Verve!) for classic, cool, and the beginning of fusion Jazz (late 40’s through mid 60’s or so, with some extensions into early 70’s… pressings are extremely “natural/absolute” sound, when played on a proper cartridge/arm/Turntable/pre-amp.

I make a point of just buying any/all I see, and then “sort” later.

Glad you discovered them, and the true greatness of the artists across those labels (there’s other great, albeit smaller/more niche, Jazz labels).

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #146,813 of 153,797
Really enjoying the Great Lakes Elliot Ness.

I have a GJ powering some Fyne 300s. Anything more than 30% volume is too loud.
I love Elliot Ness and all the Great Lakes beers. Even went up for first pour of the Christmas ale last year.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #146,814 of 153,797
Haven't been here much the last couple days because my Razorbacks got us a good ole fashioned coaching search going on.
How many interviews have you had so far?

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #146,815 of 153,797
Nothing Eclipses good people gathering to discuss: Beer, Bourbon, BBQ, Music, and Schiit.

** I think I've hit most the relevant topics in this thread over the last week. :wink:

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #146,817 of 153,797
I did say "relevant". :smirk:

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #146,819 of 153,797
So, me waiting for the Vali3 I just ordered from the EU-importer qualifies?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #146,820 of 153,797
Thanks for the music suggestions, folks. Very helpful since jazz is one of my favorite genres. I captured some albums on Qobuz for later enjoyment.
Here are a couple suggestions from me:
Marcus Miller - Tutu Revisited.png
Thanks to my friend Pietro Cozzi Tinin for introducing me to the music of
Marcus Miller. The dude is a genius.

Wynton Marsalis - Hot Fives Hot Sevens.png
Wynton's album features musicians from his band: Jazz at Lincoln Center
including my favorite trombone player: Wycliffe "Pinecone" Gordon. Nobody
bones like Pinecone. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back