Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #106 of 2,954
Mine just got here tonight. I've been A/B-ing it with the old Jot 1, both fed by Bifrost 2 and using Aeolus headphones.

This could possibly outrank the Lyr 3 as I mentioned on the Schiit thread. Holy smokes.
Interesting. Please give me longer comparisons between the Jot 3 and the Jot 1 and the Lyr 3 if you have time. Tks

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #110 of 2,954
why so many people sold their Topping A90 amp? is it really that bad??

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #111 of 2,954
Mine just got here tonight. I've been A/B-ing it with the old Jot 1, both fed by Bifrost 2 and using Aeolus headphones.

This could possibly outrank the Lyr 3 as I mentioned on the Schiit thread. Holy smokes.

Definitely interested in hearing more comparisons to the Lyr 3! I am pretty much only listening to a verite closed and auteur nowadays and they both play well with the Lyr 3 from a Bifrost 2. Would love to have balanced options as well so am considering selling the Lyr 3 and getting the Jot 2. How would you compare the Lyr and Jot with your Aeolus?

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #113 of 2,954
why so many people sold their Topping A90 amp? is it really that bad??
It is not that the A90 is bad, but the Jot 2 is better. I have an A90 myself and it has been my favorite amp since its release. I preferred it over the THX789, Lyr 3, OG Jot, Magni Heresy, Magni 3, Magnius & Vali 2. It is a very good amp that is very transparent, but again, the Jot 2 is better IMHO. Not to mention I support Schitt and the fact that their gear is made here in the old USA.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #114 of 2,954
Thanks a lot for your replies. I am also in the market for one of these, Jout2 being new, could you please describe the differences, in sound, in tactile feedback, in the general experience. Why is it better the schiit? I see ti has a much better and larger pot, the knob also looks so much more gorgeous. Not much information out there about this new device. Please explain it f you have time. I was interested on the A90 initially, but I don't trust topping over long time reliability, the knob is a joke, and the pot behind that knob looks so tiny and cheap... I have a jds atom right now, wanna move to XLR for the speakers pre amp...

Theory has it that A90 is the most clean, best measuring. jout2 is supposed to be less neutral than a90, with a tiny bit of coloration... what is that coloration, is it 3dimensinal, or holographic, or compressed or flat or airy or... thanks!!

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #116 of 2,954
I just received an A90 to pair with my D90. I had been using a THX789 with the D90, but I don't have any sense of which one I like better yet. I also have a Jot 2 on the way to take the place of my Prehead for my computer setup, for which I require preamp functionality in addition to a headphone amp. I've had good experience with Topping so far. Personally, I find the differences between amps to be exaggerated overall, but that clearly doesn't stop me from acquiring them.

It is not that the A90 is bad, but the Jot 2 is better. I have an A90 myself and it has been my favorite amp since its release. I preferred it over the THX789, Lyr 3, OG Jot, Magni Heresy, Magni 3, Magnius & Vali 2. It is a very good amp that is very transparent, but again, the Jot 2 is better IMHO. Not to mention I support Schitt and the fact that their gear is made here in the old USA.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #119 of 2,954
I agree that much does tend to get exaggerated about nearly everything. We are in a hobby that is so subjective. Everyone sees and hears things differently and has different tastes. That being said, I only post my observations based upon my experience with the gear I do have and have had. As someone who loves good sound, I am always on the lookout for something that sounds better to MY ears. I do listen to what the community is saying on gear and get a general consensus on to what to expect with certain gear. I have an Topping A90/D90 stack as well. And by all acounts, it really is an end game combo for anyone who wants to stop. The THX 789 was a turning point for amplifiers to get better and cheaper. And it is a great amp. I had two of them. Then I got my A90 Which I paired with my D90(obviously) and my Bifrost 2. Two great Dacs and one great amp = great music listening. I love Schitts stuff and I think they present great value. To me the A90 sounds just as transparent (if not more so) and more rounded which equates to enjoyability for me. The THX amps have a sharpness to them IMO that I am not crazy about. When I say the Jot 2 is better, I say that IMO it is better for my ears and what I like and proceed to describe to everyone what I am hearing to the best of my ability as I do not want to stear anyone wrong. My current stack is the Jotunheim 2/Bifrost 2. Selling my A90/D90 stack. Good luck with your gear, it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back