Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #349 of 2,954
I just use a credit card, it's not like Schiit is some sketchy company or ebay seller, why use PayPal and take away $$$ from Schiit with the fees?

EDIT: Ordered 1/6, shipped today! Their lead time is improving
I would think PayPal and CC fees would be similar. If there was too big a hit to Schiit from accepting PayPal, they wouldn't, or would add a "convenience" fee.

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #350 of 2,954
We hear on Headfi Love good sounding equipment, not blips on test equipment :ksc75smile: . Amir's review is, it is good if the measured distortion is low enouigh for him. That's it. He doesn't actually listen to anything. Don't even get me started on Z reviews, you could watch an entire video over there and come away and have no idea what the equipment even sounds like. He is a masterclass of misdirection in the amount of tangents he goes on IMHO. You will learn more here on the forums than his channel for sure.:deadhorse:<---------------Z Reviews. LOL.

Take more respect with Zeos, at least he is funny, others can't say the same. Yes, he doesnt talk sound properly, and yes, you need another source of information for sound properties of any device really. BUT, unlike other reviewers, all the info he gives can be trusted 110% in my experience. Other revieweres are like any bad movie, you know what they are going to say, kinda 100% pr information pretty much, 0% useful information, unlike zeos.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #352 of 2,954
Would there be any sonic advantages to running for example the Bifrost 2 as balanced into the Jot 2 but then using the SE output to headphones?

Or would it be the same as running RCA from B2 to Jot2?
You get an additional 6dB of gain from both of the SE and XLR4 outputs if you use the XLR input. But as far as I can tell, both of the inputs sound identical to eachother, other than the difference in their gain levels.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #353 of 2,954
Take more respect with Zeos, at least he is funny, others can't say the same. Yes, he doesnt talk sound properly, and yes, you need another source of information for sound properties of any device really. BUT, unlike other reviewers, all the info he gives can be trusted 110% in my experience. Other revieweres are like any bad movie, you know what they are going to say, kinda 100% pr information pretty much, 0% useful information, unlike zeos.
If you like what he does, then good for you. I just stated my opinion - and it's only that - my opinion. If anyone finds solace in what Zeos offers, more powa 2 ya.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #355 of 2,954
Would this just mean I have less volume control as I'd need to lower it for the increase in dB?
Yes, but it really depends on how efficient (or inefficient) the headphone you are using is. If you are using a relatively efficient headphone, the SE input should be more than enough. But if you are using an inefficient headphone, the extra 6dB could be useful.

Ultimately, the extra 6dB of gain would be most beneficial if you were using some really inefficient headphones and found that even with the gain set to High, you were often having to turn the volume knob all the way up to near (or to) its maximum position. In this situation, having an additional 6dB of gain would mean it would be much less likely you would ever come close to maxing out the volume knob.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #356 of 2,954
Yes, but it really depends on how efficient (or inefficient) the headphone you are using is. If you are using a relatively efficient headphone, the SE input should be more than enough. But if you are using an inefficient headphone, the extra 6dB could be useful.

Ultimately, the extra 6dB of gain would be most beneficial if you were using some really inefficient headphones and found that even with the gain set to High, you were often having to turn the volume knob all the way up to near (or to) its maximum position. In this situation, having an additional 6dB of gain would mean it would be much less likely you would ever come close to maxing out the volume knob.

Oh wow, it's interesting to hear there's no sonic difference except the extra gain.

I'll be using a mix of 32 to 300 ohm headphones

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #357 of 2,954
On high gain and balanced in/out, a comfortable listening volume for me is at 7:30 to 8:00 ish. Low gain, similar volume is reached at 9:00

This is using ZMF Aeolus. I don't listen too loudly and have plenty of knob on high gain.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #358 of 2,954
Oh wow, it's interesting to hear there's no sonic difference except the extra gain.
With most fully balanced amps, the balanced input usually sounds better than the SE input, but with the Jot2 I couldn't hear any noticeable difference between them, which is how it was designed to be.

This is actually a really nice 'feature' of the Jot2. There are a lot of good sounding, inexpensive DACs out there that only have RCA outputs. And the Jot2 will sound great with any of them. IMHO, a killer semi-budget-friendly combo would be the Mimby and the Jot2. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #359 of 2,954
With most fully balanced amps, the balanced input usually sounds better than the SE input, but with the Jot2 I couldn't hear any noticeable difference between them, which is how it was designed to be.

This is actually a really nice 'feature' of the Jot2. There are a lot of good sounding, inexpensive DACs out there that only have RCA outputs. And the Jot2 will sound great with any of them. IMHO, a killer semi-budget-friendly combo would be the Mimby and the Jot2. :L3000:

Jot2+DenafripsARES2, I think that would be the perfect combo, less budget of course, but still, 1000€ combo.

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #360 of 2,954

I'll be running the Jot 2 with the Bifrost 2 so definitely look forward to it.

I'm actually thinking to have the Bifrost 2 feed a Jot 2 via its balanced output and also use the Bifrost 2's RCA outputs to feed a Lyr 3. This way I can have an excellent balanced option as well as a single ended option

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back