Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #5,266 of 6,473
No one seems to be interested in the new 4490 card. According to Jason the new 4490 card is significantly better.

" We went from the original’s passive summing to active summing using the OPA1662, and went from the original’s single-pole passive filter to an active two-pole filter.

Now, some people may think this is a less “pure” approach, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, or, in this case, hearing. And the new 4490 card sounds significantly better. It’s now standard in both Jotunheim and Lyr 3."

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #5,267 of 6,473
Probably a good idea if Schiit would comment on the specifics involved to self upgrade the multibit module on the Jotunheim and Lyr 3.
Nope they wont, i already emailed ‘em and they replied as below:
Thank you for your interest. We do offer a “no-installation” upgrade option for the Jotunheim Multibit. Please understand if you select this option you are agreeing to:

"Yes, I am, or know, a competent electronics technician who does not need hand-holding for this installation, and I will not allow an inexperienced person to perform the upgrade, since I understand there are no user-serviceable parts inside."

We do not provide instructions on how to perform the upgrade.

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #5,268 of 6,473
This is from the Schiit site;

Other Installation Options
If you’re an experienced electronics technician or engineer who is familiar with ESD precautions, or work with a good tech, you can choose to have the Multibit DAC card sent to you directly, fully tested and protected in an antistatic bag.

Please note that by selecting this option, you are saying, "Yes, I am, or know, a competent electronics technician who does not need hand-holding for this installation, and I will not allow an inexperienced person to perform the upgrade, since I understand there are no user-serviceable parts inside."

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #5,269 of 6,473
No one seems to be interested in the new 4490 card. According to Jason the new 4490 card is significantly better.

" We went from the original’s passive summing to active summing using the OPA1662, and went from the original’s single-pole passive filter to an active two-pole filter.

Now, some people may think this is a less “pure” approach, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, or, in this case, hearing. And the new 4490 card sounds significantly better. It’s now standard in both Jotunheim and Lyr 3."

I wonder how this 4490 board compares to the one I self installed into my Bifrost a couple of years ago?

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #5,272 of 6,473
I wonder how the Multibit card compares to the Modi Multibit? I have the Modi Multibit with the Jot and really enjoy this combo. The new Lyr 3 would look amazing on top of Jot though, just an orgy of Schiit lol.

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #5,275 of 6,473
Am I mistaken or are the DAC modules (DS or MB) for the Jotunheim applied strictly to the USB input?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I just discovered the answer to my question in Schiit's announcement on their web page:

"It’s essentially a Modi Multibit with a single input—USB". So I suppose if you only use USB then it's a practical one box solution (and balanced to boot). However if you require other inputs then the Modi MB is the way to go (SE only).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #5,277 of 6,473
Fellas,

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Jotunheim for a new setup, beyond the all in one and seemingly great value offering ... they also still have black in stock BUT I need a few other comments to help me round out what I'm thinking.

I have the itch to try the Multibit DAC but somewhere on these forums I've read once or twice that because it isn't the Gen 5 USB board that it's not going to do the whole Multibit system justice. I'm thinking that it might be best to stick with the improved D/S 4490 and ride the balanced train at a good price? Perhaps if the Asgard 3 in the future (speculated model) offered an all-in-one SE approach alone with a full integrated Modi Multibit setup AND I didn't think the balanced offered much else then I'd sell this and head that route. I am also thinking about running speakers in the future, though nothing too fancy (thinking Yamaha HS7).

There's a voice inside me telling me to go with the Multibit and I'm keen to hear one but with a balanced amp such as the Jot surely you kind of have to go the 4490 D/S? Especially given that they've just refreshed the option.

Any feedback on my thoughts would be appreciated. Point out things if I have them wrong, still learning.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #5,278 of 6,473
Fellas,

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Jotunheim for a new setup, beyond the all in one and seemingly great value offering ... they also still have black in stock BUT I need a few other comments to help me round out what I'm thinking.

I have the itch to try the Multibit DAC but somewhere on these forums I've read once or twice that because it isn't the Gen 5 USB board that it's not going to do the whole Multibit system justice. I'm thinking that it might be best to stick with the improved D/S 4490 and ride the balanced train at a good price? Perhaps if the Asgard 3 in the future (speculated model) offered an all-in-one SE approach alone with a full integrated Modi Multibit setup AND I didn't think the balanced offered much else then I'd sell this and head that route. I am also thinking about running speakers in the future, though nothing too fancy (thinking Yamaha HS7).

There's a voice inside me telling me to go with the Multibit and I'm keen to hear one but with a balanced amp such as the Jot surely you kind of have to go the 4490 D/S? Especially given that they've just refreshed the option.

Any feedback on my thoughts would be appreciated. Point out things if I have them wrong, still learning.
The first thing I'd ask you are what headphones you are going to be using (other than what is in your signature) and if there are any planned headphones in your future since I've found that the Jot while great for some headphones was not a good match for others.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #5,279 of 6,473
The first thing I'd ask you are what headphones you are going to be using (other than what is in your signature) and if there are any planned headphones in your future since I've found that the Jot while great for some headphones was not a good match for others.

I'm currently eyeing off some HD800S. I've got the opportunity to buy some used at a relatively attractive price and wanted something to do them justice without breaking the bank any more for now.

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #5,280 of 6,473
I'm currently eyeing off some HD800S. I've got the opportunity to buy some used at a relatively attractive price and wanted something to do them justice without breaking the bank any more for now.
While I haven't personally tried the HD800S on a Jot it would not be an amp I would suggest for them. One of the better amps that I've heard a friend's HD800S on was the Elise (with updated tubes), Teac HA501, G-109, and Heron 5. These are all a little more pricy than the Jot but I think they make a better pairing with the HD800S since I didn't like them on my Asgard2 or Lyr2 and the Jot seemed to pair better with planar and slightly warmer dynamic headphones like the HD650 to me and even the owner of the HD800S. But since we all hear differently you might like the pairing of the HD800S and Jot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back