Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #632 of 6,472
Comparison of Jotunheim w/dac to Modi2/Magni2.  I compared the two setups with AKG K812, Hifiman he 560 and Fostex thx00.  
Fostex thx00:a little more control in the bass, improved mid range detail(biggest difference), about the same Highs. In favor of Jotumheim.

AKG K812: Improved dynamics, especially in the bass. Mid range a little more detailed.  Highs a little more strident.(always a problem with 812's IMO) A toss up because of the accentuated highs.

Hifiman he 560: Better bass extension and control(very noticeable), a little sweeter mid range, highs about the same, maybe a little more detail.  In favor of Jotunheim.

All tests were done with SE.  Will test with balanced connections when new cables come.
All in all I feel the Jotunheim was a worthy upgrade.  Especially considering I haven't even taken advantage of the balanced connections.

Will compare to my Bifrost 4490 and Asgard 2 next week. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #633 of 6,472
I have been testing with my Beyerdynamic T1 modded cans in balanced and wow what a match, more bass wider sound stage than I am used to very nice pairing.  I have the new DT1990's on order which shall be an interesting pairing as well.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #635 of 6,472
  Hi. The DAC part of Jotunheim do not support DSD files. It can not really to compare with Grace dac. 

I'm pretty sure the Grace will decode PCM. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #636 of 6,472
Hi, I have a chord mojo also. I am thinking to get a jodie. Have you even try this setting; 

chord mojo > Schiit jotunheim (using RCA SE)

if so, How is the sound quality? 

Please advise.

Thanks.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #638 of 6,472
Just starting listening to my Focal Elears on the Jotunheim.  Wow, this combination is fantastic.  Very dynamic, plenty of detail and really punchy.  I just haven't found a headphone I don't like the Jotunheim with yet.  There may be better amps for different headphones, but as an all around amp it is exceptional.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #639 of 6,472
  Just starting listening to my Focal Elears on the Jotunheim.  Wow, this combination is fantastic.  Very dynamic, plenty of detail and really punchy.  I just haven't found a headphone I don't like the Jotunheim with yet.  There may be better amps for different headphones, but as an all around amp it is exceptional.

was that with the DAC card and in balanced or single ended?

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #640 of 6,472
Just got one to replace my Modi2/Magni2 combo...

PHWOAR.
I'm not much of an audiophile; I listen mostly to Spotify, high-quality audio, or MP3s (usually V2). Sometimes just for kicks I'll put on some of my FLAC files. Oh and I VERY REARELY use headphones. Mostly it's straight to Adam A3Xs. When I wire in, it's through Audio Technica M50s.

All that being said... I am really enjoying the Jotunheim. I got it today but can definitely hear more depth, both through the speakers and through the headphones.
I like the convenience of a single box though, though it's certainly bulkier than the previous combo.

Note that I have no experience with other Schiit products, and that prior to this the more sophisticated DAC I ever used was a Fiio E17... I'm far from an expert.

Ah one caveat: with the Modi/Magni combo, plugging the headphones muted the speaker output. Not so on the Jotunheim. I asked Schiit and it's due to the way it's wired. I preferred it the other way, but ah well...

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #645 of 6,472
I read somewhere that it sounds better to use se output when using single ended input, and balanced output when using balanced input on the jot. Is this the case?

Maybe someone with proper knowledge of circuitry and whatnot can chime in but I don't see why there would be a (noticeable) difference, unlikely given Schiit's competency and track record. I'm not qualified to give absolute statements as I haven't studied the subject any more than just marginally out of interest though.

I suppose a lot of people swear by the SQ improvement from wiring their Gungnir through XLRs to their Jotunheim/MJ2 for example over using RCAs but I'm pretty sure the benefits (or otherwise) of it are there regardless of the headphone output you choose after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back