Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 16, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #4,891 of 6,473
Anyone compare the jot/bifrost mb to the HDVD800? I ask because I found a good deal HDVD800 (near mint condition) - that's listed for $1300. The second solution is the jotunhiem/bifrost multibit stack which comes to about $1200 before shipping costs. Is one inherently superior here?

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #4,892 of 6,473
It depends on the headphone too. I auditioned both the HDVD800 and the Jotunheim at one of the Canjams. The HDVD800 had a lot of bass with the Sennheiser 6XX, while the 800S sounded more neutral. With the Jotunheim (don't know which DAC, but was one of Schiit's), 6XX had a lot less bass (but NOT inadequate bass) than the HDVD800. The HDVD800 sounded quite bass heavy with the 6XX. As far as I know, the HDVD800 pairs well with the Sennheiser 800s and given the extended treble of the 800S, this amp probably reinforces the low end. Hence, IMO, it would be more suited for bright phones. Jot with the Bimby on the other hand is more neutral (with some warmth in the vocals), and is therefore suitable for a wider range of headphones.

I use the Jot at home in conjunction with the Mimby, and it sounds great with the 6XX (provided the source is clean) and Audeze EL-8. I have heard, it pairs well with the LCD-2 as well. Oh, the Schiit stack will occupy less desk area than the HDVD800.

BTW, Jot + Bimby new comes down to $1000 ($400 + $600).

Enjoying Cat Stevens' new album 'The Laughing Apple' through the Mimby+Jot+6XX. Ethereal!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #4,895 of 6,473
@elucidate I would get Eitr if you are using USB from computer, Mimby, and Vali 2. Eitr will work with any future DAC, Mimby is on the warmer side for crap DACs and will work well with HD800 and Vali 2 is a serious underdog. It has better slam than Vahalla 2 and is warmer and more easy going than Jot which will be a benefit for HD800S. If the sound appeals to you start saving up, you'll have to spend a lot more to improve from there.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #4,896 of 6,473
You really should not police people's opinion but equally be sceptical on people who audition units and still post grossly inaccurate conclusions about them.

Nothing to do with policing!
I can't let you get away with stating BS unchallenged. You are posting grossly inaccurate conclusions without auditioning.

Why?

Your clueless comments are not helping anybody!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #4,897 of 6,473
@cskippy

Hmm, alright. I guess there seems to be somewhat of a SQ plateau then regarding schiits mid tier offerings. I think I'll likely go the mjolnir 2/mimby route for now. Later on when funds permit I'll upgrade the dac.

Thank you, sir!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #4,899 of 6,473
I can't let you get away with stating BS unchallenged. You are posting grossly inaccurate conclusions without auditioning.

Why?

Your clueless comments are not helping anybody!
And you are? The people's advocate? The measure of headfi methodology? Get a life. And while you're at it, learn to read English: I did not "conclude" anything. I'm having a conversation with an interested party and it's none of your business, apparently, so since not interested in my views you'd better stop posting fascist comments on my messages as you are already in my "ignore" list, to put it politely...

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #4,900 of 6,473
And you are? The people's advocate? The measure of headfi methodology? Get a life. And while you're at it, learn to read English: I did not "conclude" anything. I'm having a conversation with an interested party and it's none of your business, apparently, so since not interested in my views you'd better stop posting fascist comments on my messages as you are already in my "ignore" list, to put it politely...

just keep on digging!

Sep 16, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #4,901 of 6,473
Why? Your clueless comments are not helping anybody!
Since you obviously own/auditioned the gear being discussed (really no other way to judge his comments to be grossly inaccurate), I think it would more be helpful to offer your listening experiences regarding the gear instead of just railing on another Head-Fi member. This approach would add value to the thread and model the behavior that you're looking for.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #4,902 of 6,473
Since you obviously own/auditioned the gear being discussed (really no other way to judge his comments to be grossly inaccurate), I think it would more be helpful to offer your listening experiences regarding the gear instead of just railing on another Head-Fi member. This approach would add value to the thread and model the behavior that you're looking for.

"grossly inaccurate conclusions"
- his words not mine...

However comparing Sony's UDA-1with the Bimby is like comparing Apples to Oranges [I have owned the Bimby and audtioned the UDA-1].
For starters, the Bifrost Muitlbit [Bimby] is a multibit DAC only, the Sony UDA-1 is a USB DAC/Headphone amplifier that uses a standard PCM1795 Delta-Sigma converter.
The are not even playing in the same league.

To cut a long story short, the UDA-1 sucks as DAC, but even more so as a Headphone Amp (2 x LM2876 amplifiers). The Headphone Amp section is just dull, boring and lacks rythm.
If you can tolerate Delta-Sigma DACs and are looking for something in the under $500 range, order a LH Labs GO2A with a balanced cable.

The Sony UDA-1 is overpriced and overrated.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #4,903 of 6,473
Can anyone share a comparison between ifi micro idsd and jotunheim? I am using HE-400i, next upgrade is going to be LCD2 or Beyer T1
Since no one has replied to your query, I would like to mention couple things about schiit jotunheim and ifi micro Ican se (xbass, 3D on max which is how I always listen). Listening to both through an otherwise similar chain, ifi micro Ican se sounds clean, has a massive bass and has a whopping amount of power through its only output- a single ended headphone out. The jotunheim sounds grainy with casual listen but a critical comparison of similar passages reveals it delivers bit more details than Ican se. Bass is solid but doesn't reach the level or extension of Ican se, especially sub bass. Soundstage is very similar but jotunheim enables better imaging. Ican se sounds like everything is pushed out far with nothing in between, whereas jotunheim has layers of sound from your ears to out far. Neither gives much depth or height imo. All the above is through single ended output of jotunheim.

It couldn't AB balanced output of jotunheim and single ended of Ican se, but going from single ended to balanced on jotunheim seems to open up the soundstage more and define the imaging better. It also gets cleaner, and I m pretty sure no details are lost. And of course it's a touch louder at same gain and volume pot position.

I have never heard the ifi micro idsd but thought my listening experience with ican se would help.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #4,904 of 6,473
However comparing Sony's UDA-1with the Bimby is like comparing Apples to Oranges [I have owned the Bimby and audtioned the UDA-1].
For starters, the Bifrost Muitlbit [Bimby] is a multibit DAC only, the Sony UDA-1 is a USB DAC/Headphone amplifier that uses a standard PCM1795 Delta-Sigma converter.
The are not even playing in the same league.

To cut a long story short, the UDA-1 sucks as DAC, but even more so as a Headphone Amp (2 x LM2876 amplifiers). The Headphone Amp section is just dull, boring and lacks rythm.
If you can tolerate Delta-Sigma DACs and are looking for something in the under $500 range, order a LH Labs GO2A with a balanced cable.

The Sony UDA-1 is overpriced and overrated.

Thanks for the quick summary of their spec sheets! :wink:

But...how would you characterize the sonic differences between the Bimby and the UDA-1's DAC (not the DAC/Amp together)? BTW, speaking of Apples to Apples/Oranges, did you listen to the UDA-1 DAC independently (i.e. not through the Sony's amp and also through the same amp that you used with your Bimby)?

For reference...below are two other opinions that do offer some sonic comparisons. Saying a DAC 'sucks' offers no value to a discussion...imo

Metron
I beg to differ. I have found Sony's UDA-1 DAC (i.e., excluding the amp) combined with the Beyerdynamic A20 outputs a truly superior signal in terms of detail, stage and depth. I have compared it to the super powerful combo Yggdrasil + WA22 (SE) and found it to be worst (of course) but holding up far better than other offerings. It has been noted though by What HiFi that USB input is UDA-1's weakness so avoid using it; optical or coaxial is the way to go.

Allanmarcus
OK, you made be go back and check. I compared the Sony UDA-1 vs a Bimby gen 2. Both USB. Amps is a MJ2, Headphones: utopia. The sony holds up pretty well. Hard for me to tell the difference, although I would say the Sony is a teeny tiny bit warmer. The Bimby might be a little faster; a little more definition per note, but tiny.
A little more listening with classical, and the sony just doesn't quite resolve as well as the Bimby.
I'm not gonna sell my Bimby and just use the Sony, but if I had to, I could live with the Sony.

Both seem to think the UDA-1 DAC...'holds up well/far better'...even when using USB input in Allanmarcus's case; which is called out as the weak link in the UDA-1's inputs by WhatHiFi

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,905 of 6,473
For reference...below are two other opinions that do offer some sonic comparisons. Saying a DAC 'sucks' offers no value to a discussion...imo

Metron
I beg to differ. I have found Sony's UDA-1 DAC (i.e., excluding the amp) combined with the Beyerdynamic A20 outputs a truly superior signal in terms of detail, stage and depth. I have compared it to the super powerful combo Yggdrasil + WA22 (SE) and found it to be worst (of course) but holding up far better than other offerings. It has been noted though by What HiFi that USB input is UDA-1's weakness so avoid using it; optical or coaxial is the way to go.

Allanmarcus
OK, you made be go back and check. I compared the Sony UDA-1 vs a Bimby gen 2. Both USB. Amps is a MJ2, Headphones: utopia. The sony holds up pretty well. Hard for me to tell the difference, although I would say the Sony is a teeny tiny bit warmer. The Bimby might be a little faster; a little more definition per note, but tiny.
A little more listening with classical, and the sony just doesn't quite resolve as well as the Bimby.
I'm not gonna sell my Bimby and just use the Sony, but if I had to, I could live with the Sony.

Both seem to think the UDA-1 DAC...'holds up well/far better'...even when using USB input in Allanmarcus's case; which is called out as the weak link in the UDA-1's inputs by WhatHiFi

Personal DAC preferences are very specific. Needless to say that component synergy will play an important role also.
My 'reference' system for the test at the time were: Schiit Bimby and LHLabs GO2A with CA Carbon (original version) and the Jotunheim as Amps; (Didn't bother much with internal UDA-1 amp).

The UDA-1 lacks overall refinement with a little treble coarseness, very similar to D/S DACs in the same price range. Decent resolution, decent tone, but somewhat flat and lacking in dynamics.
The sound seems dependent very much upon the quality of the USB source. Perhaps a Schiit EITR would help.

The Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC just adds an immersive character and depth to the listening experience which make it sound so much more real.
If you like Multibit DACs, the Bimby is not a bad choice as It stacks nicely with the Jotunheim.
YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back