Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 1, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #5,431 of 6,472
I already posted this on the Mjolnir2 thread, but since it also relates to Jot I feel I should probably re-post here in case some of you don't follow the Mj2 thread:

With 50hrs burn-in now on the stock tubes I decided to perform another comparison between Mj2 and Jot, using both my HD800S and also the ADX5000 which I currently have on home demo (I really like the 5000, it sounds like a cross between the HD800S and Utopia!). Both headphones are being driven in balanced mode.

I wish it weren't so, but I prefer Jot's presentation. It's very clean, very resolving, has a very low noise floor, delivers grippy bass with extension and slam, and projects vocals with remarkable presence/clarity.

Mj2 with stock tubes by comparison is less resolving, it presents a larger but less focused and more diffuse soundstage, has less resolve across the board, delivers a weaker/mushier low end, and it pulls vocals into the distance.

I was very much hoping to prefer Mj2 because it looks so much better in my system and I've always been drawn to the romantic glow of tubes, but sadly I don't, at least with the stock tubes. Trouble is I don't think I'm cut out to embark on an epic tube rolling journey, as it will be very difficult with my cerebral palsy to swap tubes in and out, so I'm hoping can make the right choice first time.

I'd be really grateful for advice on a tube recommendation that gets me as close as possible to matching Jot's transparency/resolve and tonal balance, if such a tube exists, or do I have unrealistic expectations about making Mj2 sound as revealing as Jot? I ask this because I have read comparisons of Mj2 + LISST vs Jot and the general consensus is that Jot is more revealing.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #5,432 of 6,472
I could see your experience with the stock tubes being underwhelming. However with even a cheap pair of ebay Aperex Bugle Boys ($13), I experienced the opposite to your comparisons with the MJ2 vs. Jot. I don't think the tube rolling has to be "epic". You should be able to find a good match for your tastes first time if you check the threads. I have only purchased one pair and am done. Friend- I do not mean to underestimate the difficulty of installing the tubes given your physical limitations. Here's where it helps to have other audio friends close by!!
Also, it could be possible that the particular cans you enjoy are less of a match with MJ2- I've never tried the HD 800 (s), nor the 5000. (I am aware of at least one well known head-fier who loves his 800's on the MJ2). But I can tell you that the T1's and Utopia sound better IMHO on the MJ2 than the Jot (esp the T1). All of the resolving, sound stage, clarity, etc which you might attribute to the Jot over the MJ2, I would reverse and give the edge to MJ2.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #5,435 of 6,472
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #5,436 of 6,472
At least one of you have to be joking (I hope so)..

The sound would be so good, it will be imprinted in your head. LOL!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #5,439 of 6,472
those are actual jot boards v1.01

Good. I am already assembling my cardboard boxes to put those PCBs in. I will sell them $25 a piece, fully assembled.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #5,441 of 6,472
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #5,442 of 6,472
Hello,

Can anyone who has experience with Jot MB and LCD X provide reference? This might be a really bad question but how do you think the Ifi Micro IDSD Black Label measures against the Jot balanced?

I have Win 10, coax to bcn >Yggy v2 > Jot > LCD X's. all balanced silver hybrid cables, and the Jot punches way above what it costs.
Hell the cables I have connected to it cost 5 times $400. Do I feel a burning desire to replace it, hell no.

It's a great SS amp/preamp for twice the price IMO. I love my new Yggy but the Jot is the most impressive "for the money" of all my recent purchases.
The Pro iCan is definitely better but at $1800 I have to wait for a bit, I'm OK with that. :L3000:

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #5,443 of 6,472
I have Win 10, coax to bcn >Yggy v2 > Jot > LCD X's. all balanced silver hybrid cables, and the Jot punches way above what it costs.
Hell the cables I have connected to it cost 5 times $400. Do I feel a burning desire to replace it, hell no.

It's a great SS amp/preamp for twice the price IMO. I love my new Yggy but the Jot is the most impressive "for the money" of all my recent purchases.
The Pro iCan is definitely better but at $1800 I have to wait for a bit, I'm OK with that. :L3000:
I switched to the Gustard H20 ($799 on Massdrop) with Sparkos SS3602 opamps (2x $70 for new customers). No desire to go back. Amazing sound stage (flat with Jot), even meatier low end, absurd amounts of power, two balanced inputs, smoother volume knob. Love it.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #5,444 of 6,472
I'll have to check it out.

Nope, no single ended outs for my subs, that's a deal breaker.

Man I wish Freya had 2 balanced outs.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #5,445 of 6,472
Amazing but the only good solution to connecting my Jot and monitors/subs to Freya is this $400 box from Goldpiont and another set of xlr's. :anguished:

http://www.goldpt.com/sw2x.html

A used Pro iCan would be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back