SNR: >123db, A-weighted, referenced to 2V RMS

SE to Balanced, X1 Gain

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB
THD: <0.0015%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 4V RMS
IMD: <0.0022%, CCIR
SNR: >122db, A-weighted, referenced to 4V RMS

Headphone, X1 Gain
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 1W RMS per channel (yes same as 32 ohms)
SNR: >123db, unweighted, referenced to 2V RMS
Crosstalk: >-90dB
Output Impedance: 0.25 ohms
Passive

All specifications limited by APx555 analyzer capability

Topology: Nexus™; current feedback with nested differential stages; discrete summed single-ended outputs with high-current headphone capability; intelligent headphone oversight and protection
Input Impedance: 10K ohms
Output Impedance: 75 ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced
Crosstalk: >110dB typical all modes
Inputs: 2 XLR pairs plus 3 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote
Outputs: 1 XLR pair plus 2 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote
Volume Control: relay-switched stepped attenuator with discrete thin-film resistors, 128 0.625dB steps
Power Supply: One 48VA transformer with dual series regulated +/-32V rails with Quietude™ topology; plus regulated 5VDC for microprocessor
Power Consumption: 22W typical
Size: 16” x 8” x 2”
Weight: 11 lbs

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 194
I'm copying and pasting my post from Jason's main thread to here.

8 days, and nights with Kara.

Long story short, Kara's a keeper.

I think that Freya S is an amazing preamp. Kara is better. All of my comments regarding Freya S or Kara's sound are limited to the 1x mode. Kara takes the transparency of Freya S, and adds a more beguiling tonal balance. Kara has more weight in the midrange, sounding more robust than Freya S. Massed/solo strings and pianos sound rich and sweet through Kara. I think that I might even be able to tolerate harpsichords through Kara.

Kara doesn't sound like a tubed preamp, but Kara has much of that sweet tubed tonal balance that I remember. Kara sounds larger, and more powerful than Freya S. Is this from the new power supply? I don't know, but I like it.

The new remote/volume improvements, and control placements make Kara feel more refined. Very nice.

I'm not big on headphones, but I did try my Drop/Senn HD6xx and Grado SR 125's plugged into Kara. Kara had more than enough juice for either. I was a little surprised how nice that my old Grado's sounded with Kara. Generally, I prefer the Grado's with tubed amps, but they sounded better than fine with Kara.

So to sum it up, Kara looks good, feels good, and sounds great!

Sep 2, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 194
I'm copying and pasting my post from Jason's main thread to here.

8 days, and nights with Kara.

Long story short, Kara's a keeper.

I think that Freya S is an amazing preamp. Kara is better. All of my comments regarding Freya S or Kara's sound are limited to the 1x mode. Kara takes the transparency of Freya S, and adds a more beguiling tonal balance. Kara has more weight in the midrange, sounding more robust than Freya S. Massed/solo strings and pianos sound rich and sweet through Kara. I think that I might even be able to tolerate harpsichords through Kara.

Kara doesn't sound like a tubed preamp, but Kara has much of that sweet tubed tonal balance that I remember. Kara sounds larger, and more powerful than Freya S. Is this from the new power supply? I don't know, but I like it.

The new remote/volume improvements, and control placements make Kara feel more refined. Very nice.

I'm not big on headphones, but I did try my Drop/Senn HD6xx and Grado SR 125's plugged into Kara. Kara had more than enough juice for either. I was a little surprised how nice that my old Grado's sounded with Kara. Generally, I prefer the Grado's with tubed amps, but they sounded better than fine with Kara.

So to sum it up, Kara looks good, feels good, and sounds great!
What inputs/outputs? Balanced or SE or mixed?

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 194
Kara rear view

Attachments

• kara-rr-1920.jpg
    kara-rr-1920.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 2, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 194
Front:

Attachments

• kara-front-blk-1920.jpg
    kara-front-blk-1920.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 194
Impressions are quiet on this one - I'll throw my hat into the ring and echo that this is a fantastic pre. The headout functionality is quite acceptable as well, though not something you'll retire your main headamp for. It is faster than the Freya S and sounds great in 1x mode. SE input is significantly better than Freya S which struggled. Couldn't ask for more, well - maybe a Gungnir with updated chassis.

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 194
Can anyone offer some (reasonably) detailed comparison between Kara and one of the dedicated headphone amps? I recently decided to upgrade my non-headphone hifi-system and started with a secondhand Aegir. Really glad with that. For now I'm using an old pair of KEF Q1 speakers, the ultimate goal being a pair of Sonus faber Minima Amator II .. (Come on lottery !)
I'm assuming there will be a second Aegir somewhere along the way, for which you need a balanced pre-amp. Enter Kara !

Would replacing the Lyr3+ that I'm using to drive my beloved Quad ERA I with the Kara be an OK choice? Adding the Kara could mean going balanced from my Bifrost 2/64 via Kara to Aegir mono's and still going single-ended to the Lyr3+. But if the Kara sounds 'as good as' with headphones...

Any thoughts?

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 194
Spoiled by Continuity and hybrid tube?? Maybe so.

It is not as though I lack for a headphone preamp. My Schiit collection includes
Vali 2
Asgard 3
Lyr 3 (and + in a remote location miles away)
MJ2
Folkvangr

Though $ apart, these have three characteristics in common:
a. I enjoy the sound
b. I sometimes use them as pre-amp for speakers
c. They run hot.
Hence I found very appealing the thought of headphone enabled preamp that would run cooler in the summer. Moreover I would feel comfortable leaving in on 24/7 and not have to anticipate an hour in advance of when I would want to listen and still have its best sound.
Enter the Kara.
system yggy 2 bal> lokius se > kara, quickly moved to
ygg2 bal directly to kara
Caveat: I did not use balanced output, so I don’t know about that.
Observation 1: Use balanced input! Relatively speaking, the se input gave me a dull, grey sound lacking in clarity.

So one hurdle cleared, which for me is not a big deal: go directly balanced into Kara

Headphones
I have both balanced and se, predominately I use se. So that feature of Kara is not a problem for me.
But the sound was a problem. Be aware, I listen almost exclusively to classical music. e What is most important to me is the fullness of timbre/tone, I want the difference between the sound of a clarinet and oboe to be clear. I want that cymbal tone to be clear.
I will happily sacrifice a bit of sharpness in the attack to get the rich timbre I hear live. So YMMV, including your ears, your preferences, your equipment. In any case, I was not at all satisfied with the music I hear through headphones.
(Headphones include
zmf Auteur
Senn 600 and 650, both with Dakoni pads
DCA Aeon 2 closed
HiFiMan Sundara)

Speakers
My current speaker set up is not the best, so I won’t go into detail on this. Suffice it to say the Kara did better in this application, but still not up to expectations, still not close (enough) to my other pre-amp options. Hence for the first time, I returned a piece of Schiit equipment.

Others that have had a better experience with Kara, by all means post it.
As I suggested at the top, I view this experience not so much as a failure on Schiit’s part as Schiit having spoiled me with continuity (class A-ish sound) and hybrid tube offerings. I guess some like it hot.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back