Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2022 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,331

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
lyrplus-black-front-1920.jpglyrplus-silver-front-1920.jpg

https://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-4

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6444#post-17061207

https://www.schiit.com/about/news/schiit-lyr-previewed

SPECS:

Maximum Power, 16 ohms:
9.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 4.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 450mW RMS per channel

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.08db
Gain: High 5.7 (15dB), Low 1.2 (1.35dB)
Topology: Coherence ™ fully discrete, current-mode noninverting 6SN7/bipolar hybrid with constant transconductance output stage with Fusion Architecture™ depletion MOSFET gain fallback, 64-step relay ladder volume control
Protection: microprocessor oversight for high DC, over-current, and tube presence; mute on any fault and management of tube and solid state gain modes
Power Supply: two internal power transformers with 48VA total rating, plus with over 55,000uf of filter capacitance; two discrete regulated +/-100V supplies, two high-current +/-26V supplies, four regulated oversight supplies—20V, +/-15V, 5V
Power Consumption: 30W
Size: 9 x 6 x 2”
Weight: 6 lbs

The Lyr+ is now available!! :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 1,331
What kind of tubes will this use? Still 6SN7?

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 1,331
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 1,331
I'm very excited for this one personally. I loved the Lyr 3 with the right source pairing. I love this chassis design and Schiit's latest amps have been phenomenal. The weird hybrid topology is perfect for my use case too as I'm stuck to a desk with headphones in for long stretches of time, and now I can preserve the tube's lifespan by switch to it for only for dedicated music listening. :D

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 1,331
Is one of the switches a toggle switch on the amp and/or button switch on the remote to alternate between SS and tube (with tube still in situ) or is the only way for SS to kick in is to remove the tube?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 1,331
The Lyr+ is now available for purchase!

OP has been updated.

Aug 31, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 1,331
Arrived!

Super-duper early impressions. Looks awesome, I love the new chassis. The button-laden front is much cleaner-looking, in my opinion, than the flip switches of old.

Took two tries for the Lyr+ to realize there was a tube plugged in -- it was initially defaulting to the SS gain stage. After re-seating the tube it worked fine. Pressing the 'gain stage' switch on the remote, it actually takes over 20 seconds to switch between tube and SS -- it goes and remains silent and then 'click', sound's back. This sort of surprised me since Jason's description of the two stages was they were 'seamless', but it doesn't quite feel it.

Listenable volume also hovers around 12 o'clock on the pot for me with high gain -- which is very high. For reference, I listen at about 7-8 o'clock on the Lyr 3, slightly higher on Jot 2. (Yes, I'm a quiet listener.) I'm new to relay ladder attenuators, so maybe it's to be expected, but I sent Schiit an email to see if that's normal behavior anyway -- since from 'Zero' to about 11 o'clock is just really really quiet, to where I don't think anyone would find those volumes useful. Past 2 o'clock it gets pretty friggin loud so I don't think it's gimped or anything. I also notice the volume dips in and out when changing the volume up or down, which I do presume is normal with relay.

Sound, so far, I feel really positive about. Via the ZMF Atriums, there's a noticeable uptick in sense of clarity and airiness from the Jot 2, which is what I was listening to on this current set-up before (with a Holo Spring loaner). I use the Lyr 3 for my bedside set-up so I'm pretty familiar with it and I'd say the Lyr+ sounds slightly better balanced, more neutral, but also sweeter. Drum hits and cymbals (my litmus instruments for sound quality) have excellent punch and decay, and cymbals in particular are very incisive -- the Lyr 3 felt airier with cymbals, the Jot 2 darker, more muted. Acoustic guitar has great bite, vocals are very natural.

I'm sending this loaner on its way tomorrow so it'll be back to the BFM soon. The Lyr 3 with the BFM was weirdly dull or boring, and I never liked it -- so it'll be interesting to see how it fares. Either way I have lots of listening to do!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back