Schiit Lyr + Schiit Bifrost OR Burson HA-160DS for HD 650
Dec 11, 2011 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ericlim

New Head-Fier
I've narrowed down the choices to the following two options for powering HD650:

1. Dedicated DAC + dedicated Amp from Schiit (Lyr & Bifrost)
2. DAC/Amp combo box Burson HA-160DS

The prices are close and I am pretty sure both are great choices but what do you guys think which option is better? I wish I could try them out but I have to rely on you guys' suggestions ...

Please let me know if there are better options in this price range as well! :)

Many thanks!

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Burson amplifier fits better to HD650, because it sounds more transparent (650 need it). Lyr has more powerful bass - I don't think it will be good for HD650, wchich already have quite powerful bass and Lyr is not as transparent as HA-160DS.
But, I think that separate Schiit DAC is better, than built-in Byrson.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 5
If I may butt in and add another DAC/Amp combo in that price range for your consideration: the CEntrance DACmini.

I've actually been contemplating the same thing as the OP, with the addition of the DACmini of course, as a future set-up based on the HD650. So I'd also be grateful if anyone has any insight regarding the synergy of the HD650 and the Lyr+Bifrost/HA-160DS/DACmini.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 5
the dacmini is great! it is very neutral, more so then all the other set ups. i feel that the details are also presented the best amongst the group, especially the treble, which the hd650 needs as the treble is a bit recessed.

the burson is a tad warm, and not as detailed as the dacmini. the soundstage of the burson is a bit congested and small, so i feel that it won't pair well with the hd650. however the prat and bass slam is excellent, to my ears the best amongst the group, though the lyr is not far behind. 

the lyr and bifrost is another great combo, good soundstage, excellent dynamics, but i feel the highs are not as good as the dacmini. it is also a bit warm, which may not be so good for the hd650, which is already a very warm and dark headphone.

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back