Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #32 of 395
Au contraire. If I had to choose, soundwise, I would probably go with the Magni 3+. But I like very much the color scheme of Heresy and Hel. I could buy both and trade the shells, but then I would have to deal with that white LED of the Magni 3+. I hate white LED and I don't know if they are easly changeable.

He is talking about the colour only as I understand. Soundwise, according to reviews, I’d also go with the 3+.

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #33 of 395
I don’t think this means what you think it means :)

Makmeksam want the Heresy, but do not want the red and black color scheme.
Me, in the other hand, I want the Magni 3+ but do not want the silver, grey and white color scheme.
Au contraire is french for "the opposite" or "the other way around", from what I know. I believe it applys to this situation, but I could really be wrong. Maybe in english the expression has a different meaning? I don't know. English is not my primary language, so I could always incur in some mistakes.

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #34 of 395
I could make mistakes too; English is not my native language either :)

Makneksam asked, “Am I the only one who dislikes the red/black color scheme?” (I’m paraphrasing) so when you said, “Au contraire” to me that meant you dislike it too. However you mentioned shortly thereafter that you actually like it, which prompted my post.

Cue a native speaker intervening to tell us we’re both wrong :D

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #35 of 395
I could make mistakes too; English is not my native language either :)

Makneksam asked, “Am I the only one who dislikes the red/black color scheme?” (I’m paraphrasing) so when you said, “Au contraire” to me that meant you dislike it too. However you mentioned shortly thereafter that you actually like it, which prompted my post.

Cue a native speaker intervening to tell us we’re both wrong :D

Igorpadrao used au contraire wrongly. The way it was written implies that Igor prefers the Heresy to the +3, but prefers the colour scheme of the +3.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #36 of 395
Au contraire. If I had to choose, soundwise, I would probably go with the Magni 3+. But I like very much the color scheme of Heresy and Hel. I could buy both and trade the shells, but then I would have to deal with that white LED of the Magni 3+. I hate white LED and I don't know if they are easly changeable.

I took my 2u apart the other day to clean the dust out. The whole thing is held together with just a few screws

But you're right on the LED. The plastic is molded on. But it's only the LED leads holding it to the PCB, so it should be simple if you can solder.... And if Schiit wants to give you the parts

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #37 of 395
Interested to try either one. My problem with the Magni 3 was the noisy pot. Not sure if that's changed, but it's worth a try.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #39 of 395
If anyone with an Asgard 3 can compared it to the sound of the Magni 3+, it would be great. I already use the A3 at home, and need another amp for the office, so I'm torn between the 2 (I'll get the Modi 3 for dac to go along with either since now it is also offered in black and I don't need to use a built in dac on the A3 like I did with what I have already). It will be powering an AEON 2 Closed Back btw.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #40 of 395
Has anyone confirmed whether or not the Magni 3 volume control issues have been resolved in these latest releases?

My M3 has developed both the scratchy noises around 10 o'clock and obvious channel imbalances at lower volumes.

Yea, warranty has expired!

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #41 of 395
OK Jason....

Inquiring minds want to know:

I assume the new Magni's are running in class AB?

So how do you get such good numbers if there is still the AB cross-over distortion issue? I assume there is no coherence stuff in these amps?

I have a Magni 3 and think its one of the best head amps under $1000.

Looks like I have to order these soon!

Great Job!
Alex

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #42 of 395
I ordered the Heresy simply because I dig the whole Sith thang they’re going for style-wise.
(Doesn’t matter anyways, I’d be very surprised if I could hear any differences between the silver Magni vs the Sith. I’ve certainly never been able to hear differences over any other ss amps once these were hidden from view and level matched.)

One thing that is a little puzzling to me..how on earth has Schiit managed to squeeze 2•2.4 W out of something so incredibly tiny??!!?? That is just mindblowing. They’re using the force alright...
These little badboys will quite literally drive just about anything you care to throw at them. Every can connoisseur out there should be good as gold...maaaybe with the exception of HE-6 owners that mostly listen to music at a 120 dB:wink:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #43 of 395
I ordered the Heresy simply because I dig the whole Sith thang they’re going for style-wise.
(Doesn’t matter anyways, I’d be very surprised if I could hear any differences between the silver Magni vs the Sith. I’ve certainly never been able to hear differences over any other ss amps once these were hidden from view and level matched.)...

So...if your hearing capabilities are similar to most folks, then they won't really 'hear' the difference but vote for their favorite based on 'other' reasons.

If I recall, Schiit did a comparison of various tubes at the Schiitr that removed these 'issues'...

Wonder if they'd consider a similar kind of thing for these amps...then the 'better' design / measurements or even the 'cool' colors wouldn't impact the outcome.

FWIW...I'd keep selling them both if it isn't much of a production issue; market segmentation is a beautiful thing! :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #44 of 395
Careful with the conclusions there:p
I think most will hear or indeed feel differences if they buy the two and do a little a/b switching. I would too....but it’s an entirely different kettle of fish once you can’t see what is playing...and how many here have actually tried this for themselves?
Yup.

I’d be wildly surprised to see Schiit do blindtests on their own ss gear...at least properly set up ones, but that’s mostly down to me having tried a number of them - realising just how sad my life had become trying to compare cymbal crashes for a couple of hours...to no avail no less!

I also think they should keep making both. People have different colours they go for and also different priorities when it comes to the actual engineering behind the box...which again can add another facet to the appreciation of x piece of gear.
Anyhoo..I think it’s all kinds of awesome that Schiit continues to develop proper gear with this level of affordability.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #45 of 395
Careful with the conclusions there:p
I think most will hear or indeed feel differences if they buy the two and do a little a/b switching. I would too....but it’s an entirely different kettle of fish once you can’t see what is playing...and how many here have actually tried this for themselves?
Yup.

I’d be wildly surprised to see Schiit do blindtests on their own ss gear...at least properly set up ones, but that’s mostly down to me having tried a number of them - realising just how sad my life had become trying to compare cymbal crashes for a couple of hours...to no avail no less!

I also think they should keep making both. People have different colours they go for and also different priorities when it comes to the actual engineering behind the box...which again can add another facet to the appreciation of x piece of gear.
Anyhoo..I think it’s all kinds of awesome that Schiit continues to develop proper gear with this level of affordability.

Prepare to be wildly surprised, they hold events like this regularly. I think they might also setting up a blind test of the 2 Magnis.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3447#post-15232238

Users who are viewing this thread

Back