Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 29, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #3,601 of 6,943
How much did he pay you to take them? :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :laughing:

There are some rumblings on the Darkvoice thread that the GE 5998A sounds pretty good. Tung Sol has always been considered the king of that tube type, but with prices on those in NOS condition going at around $150/each these days and the GE's at about $50, it almost (only almost) makes me want to try one. My mailbox would probably explode if the Post Office ever delivered a box with a GE in it, but it's also possible that GE screwed up every now and then and made a good sounding tube. :smile:
Not a penny. 😂 He's sending them for review. You know honesty is the best policy. Hopefully Sanjiv will still be my friend after my review 🤣

May 29, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,602 of 6,943
These Footscray tubes are insane! I have never heard anything like it. It's like entering a hologram! 😂 @ksorota get these things to 100 hours.
I got a second pair of these today. 1 year earlier by date. I may even grab another pair before it's all said and done. LOL!

I ABSOLUTELY love this tube! Due diligence has paid off! For me and my personal preference, this is the whole Kit & Kabootle! 🤣

My A2900 should be here this upcoming week. I will of course do a shootout and report back. As of right now the Footscray is my brakes. The only other tube I would buy right now is an earlier version of what I'm listening to right now.

:beerchug:
Man, that is awesome!!! My Footscray has been shipped and I am so excited to hear this tube and can't wait to enter the hologram! :smile:

May 29, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,603 of 6,943
Not a penny. 😂 He's sending them for review. You know honesty is the best policy. Hopefully Sanjiv will still be my friend after my review 🤣
LOL! Never know. Maybe a needle in the haystack. Or maybe Sanjiv won't like you any more. :laughing:

Some say the 5 star GE 5670 is quite good. I've never tried one (mailbox concerns), but perhaps they don't suck? Anyone here tried them?

May 29, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #3,605 of 6,943
LOL! Never know. Maybe a needle in the haystack. Or maybe Sanjiv won't like you any more. :laughing:

Some say the 5 star GE 5670 is quite good. I've never tried one (mailbox concerns), but perhaps they don't suck? Anyone here tried them?
I heard the GE 5 star, bought 2 pair very cheap. I do NOT recommend them. 2nd worst tube I ever heard. Only bested by dimple getter Mullard Mitcham E188CC with the RTC label. Upscaleaudio.com has them for maybe $300 by memory. Though tubes are very subjective to individuals.

May 29, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #3,606 of 6,943
Man, that is awesome!!! My Footscray has been shipped and I am so excited to hear this tube and can't wait to enter the hologram! :smile:
I'm anxiously waiting to hear your thoughts and @ksorota follow up. I couldn't take myself away from my rig last night. It's so hard to explain the Footscray’s presentation. It's like the music is rising up from within or something 😂
The imaging is just crazy. The soundstage is huge but in a different intimate way. I know it sounds crazy and backwards lol.

Vocals are paralyzing and ooze emotion. You not only feel their pain but it's almost as if you're going through it with them. It's nuts!

I can't wait until you get yours.

May 29, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #3,607 of 6,943
I heard the GE 5 star, bought 2 pair very cheap. I do NOT recommend them. 2nd worst tube I ever heard. Only bested by dimple getter Mullard Mitcham E188CC with the RTC label. Upscaleaudio.com has them for maybe $300 by memory. Though tubes are very subjective to individuals.
Well, as a fellow member of the GE haters club, I'll take your word for it. :laughing:

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #3,608 of 6,943
I'm anxiously waiting to hear your thoughts and @ksorota follow up. I couldn't take myself away from my rig last night. It's so hard to explain the Footscray’s presentation. It's like the music is rising up from within or something 😂
The imaging is just crazy. The soundstage is huge but in a different intimate way. I know it sounds crazy and backwards lol.

Vocals are paralyzing and ooze emotion. You not only feel their pain but it's almost as if you're going through it with them. It's nuts!

In 2,000 words or more can you BRIEFLY explain the sound signature on the Footscray? I see it is highly regarded but not sure if I'd like em.
Mostly serious post by me.

May 29, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #3,610 of 6,943
May 29, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #3,611 of 6,943

Damn man! I have had an experience in the past with a good tube roll, where it felt like I was the one singing, and it sounds like the Footscray's do just that.

May 29, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #3,612 of 6,943
Damn man! I have had an experience in the past with a good tube roll, where it felt like I was the one singing, and it sounds like the Footscray's do just that.
That's exactly it. Like you're either the microphone itself or doing the performance itself lol.

The sense of realism is astounding. As many tubes as a lot of us have been through, I never imagined something would come along and blow me away like these tubes are doing right now. Lol.

I'm at around the 130 hour mark and nothing has changed since about the 85/90 hour mark. These do go through some changes along the way. In the end there's this extreme clarity and resolution that completes the magic. Simply stunning!

May 29, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #3,614 of 6,943
WOW! I was able to pry out of Sanjiv , the batch of tubes he is getting in , and sending me for a review.

Before I mention the said tube will @TK16 and @bcowen please start forming an intervention team and send them to India lol. Also take a deep breath and do not laugh at the next sentence below.

He's sending me a pair of ....... 1956 ............ triple mica........... 😬 .......12at7........... made by.......... oh God no............ GE 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣
They may have been made by Mullard and rebranded as GE? Would GE have even made 12AT7s let alone triple-mica 12AT7s?

May 29, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,615 of 6,943
LOL!!! Could these actually be the GE to break out of the stereotype?
Actually, the GE 5998A power tubes are rather good - in fact, very good. I bought four of them. I am 🙂🙂🙂 with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back