Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #2,701 of 2,798
Screen Shot 04-24-24 at 09.40 PM 001.PNG
This support for the amp works really well. Also the amp and dac are running nice and cool. Sounds so damned awesome, everything I have been searching for in musical reproduction for many years.
Very nice, Man, I could absofrikkinlutely be satisfied with your chain, Bro. More-is-Better Yggdrasil -> Mjonir3 -> Meze Elite is god tier to me. I wouldnt even really want gear priced much higher than these parts bc to me the temptation to sell it would be too high lol. Awesome chain.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #2,702 of 2,798
1000000385.jpg

Just finished rearranging and cable managing my setup with Mjolnir 3 as the center piece. Still a little tidying up needed under the desk but otherwise done.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2,703 of 2,798
The MJ3 is still on my short list to pair with Yggy A2. You are making a good case for me to pull the trigger. You had some great gear come through your home and I wonder if the MJ3 has some staying power?
Let me just say for now that the MJ3 has growing potential. The thing is, even more great gear is coming in soon, so we will see who and what remains standing until the very end. :)

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #2,704 of 2,798
Is it worth it to try and find a Mjolnir 3 or grab a Rag 2?

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #2,705 of 2,798
Anyone running the ZMF Caldera on a M3 amp? Especially like to read some comments about the MiB / M3 stack with Caldera. I have been reading hundreds of thoughts and reviews etc on SBAF and here on Caldera, but so far have not found anything referencing Caldera with this stack or even just with M3. I am thinking someday when I do get another headphone it will likely be a Caldera. I had thought pretty seriously about Atrium Open, but I think the planar characteristics may be more palatable to me, however I have never heard Atrium either. As usual, always triangulating from others feedback etc to try to virtually audition gear. What we all do really.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #2,706 of 2,798
Some first impressions after about 24 hours burn-in:

- Truly special and good sounding SS amp. There is some sweet liquidity in the sound which is rare in SS amps. This aspect reminded me to my first encounter witht he Meze Empyrean in 2018.
- Quite energetic and clear sound but with rounded edges, so it is not aggressive. Soundstage is good but not huge, but I do not actually mind it as the space has very good depth layering and imaging. It is easy to visualise instruments in their place.
- Bass is not overblown, but strong with good impact. Mids are clear and vocals surprisingly sweet and lifelike for a SS amp. Treble initially was a little dry, and slightly too forward, but this seems to be taming down with burn-in.
- Overall, a clean, clear, dynamic, impactful but at the same time smooth and fun sound. Acoustic instrument tone and timbre is good, but my NOS tubed HA-3A is more fluid, richer and more natural when it comes to string instruments. Tubes also give vocals more magic. MJ3 on the other hand offers better technicalities with more detail, better dynamics and a lot clearer, more defined and more impactful bass. As expected, I prefer MJ3 bass but HA-3A treble. These two amps are very different and offer different strengths, a different listening experience.

- Warm up time is real with the MJ3. It takes at least an hour but more like 2-3 hours to get the hottest, but sound is best when the amp is fully warmed up. For now, I keep it on a separate, 4-inch-tall (10cm) stand where breathability is good. This way even the hottest temperatures do not seem like anything to worry about, no fan needed for me.
- Dislike that is the switch on toggle is located on the back.
- With my ZMF Caldera I prefer low gain, no feedback. Also, usually SE versus push-pull. The differences are actually smaller than I expected, but they are there. My Cyan 2 DAC puts out 5V, which is a little higher than the 4V average for XLR out. Perhaps this is partly why I prefer low gain with the Caldera. High gain is just a little too harsh. Feedback takes away a little from dynamics in a subtle but non-favourable way at least to me. I initially liked the subtle liveliness push-pull brought to the picture, but after a while it gets a little too much in the treble. Treble is already quite lively, so I prefer to leave it in SE mode.

Overall, I am happy so far: great bass, dynamic but sweet and clear, detailed sound. A fun and engaging listen with good technicalities. The relatively smaller soundstage is nicely compensated with great spatial imaging, so I am happy on that front as well. If there is one thing, I would improve that would be a tiny bit more relaxed and more natural treble, but that will probably improve with further burn in and I am used to tube amps these days which have liquid treble.

So, I like the MJ3, but let's see where things lead and evolve. :)
Great early impression…it’s really weird because i also felt that the MJ3 was slightly bright earlier on. However, i ordered a flow cable which revealed even more sparkle than my current periapt cable. Long story short, i returned the flow cable for an even more revealing cable. Funny how 2 months later, I’m looking for more of the MJ3’s treble, it’s like i just want all of it lol im really looking forward to your impressions of the mentor also. Happy listening!!

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #2,707 of 2,798
Very nice, Man, I could absofrikkinlutely be satisfied with your chain, Bro. More-is-Better Yggdrasil -> Mjonir3 -> Meze Elite is god tier to me. I wouldnt even really want gear priced much higher than these parts bc to me the temptation to sell it would be too high lol. Awesome chain.
Thanks! This stack is really sounding good. I read a really good review on the Tungsten cans, and I think it is really awesome to support the small builders like Zach and the guy doing the Tungsten (embarrassed don't remember his name) who are providing quality cans as great alternatives to the large headphone makers. Interested to get your impressions of the Tungsten on the Mentor amp.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #2,708 of 2,798
Let me just say for now that the MJ3 has growing potential. The thing is, even more great gear is coming in soon, so we will see who and what remains standing until the very end. :)
going to be hard to best the Mentor.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #2,709 of 2,798
Is it worth it to try and find a Mjolnir 3 or grab a Rag 2?
Rag @ $999 is a steal. Not sure which one sounds better though.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #2,710 of 2,798
Rag @ $999 is a steal. Not sure which one sounds better though.

That's $1,364 before any taxes, shipping, customs fees, etc. Thing is it would be underused if I'm not also using it as a speaker amp.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #2,711 of 2,798
Well my MJ3 has a definite hum to it. I wonder if this warrants an email to Schiit?
As long as the hum is the physical hum of the transformers then it's "normal." If it's coming through the headphones then RMA!

HST, some people find that a DC blocker helps with the hum. Something inexpensive like the Emotiva CMX2 or I think there's one called The Humdinger.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #2,712 of 2,798
No the hum is not coming through the headphones at all it's completely black when you turn the volume all the way up with no music.

I have a CMX2, I'll give it a try

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #2,714 of 2,798
The Mjolnir 3 sounded significantantly better, at least to me. I wouldn't take the Rag 2 over a Jot 2 even. But there are some who like it. It's just incredibly dry and linear.
Glad i never jumped on that when i was tired of waiting for MJ3 stock. Ended up stumbling into Mentor which I love and Im sure I'd have loved MJ3 as well, but, what you just described doesnt sound very good to me.

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #2,715 of 2,798
Glad i never jumped on that when i was tired of waiting for MJ3 stock. Ended up stumbling into Mentor which I love and Im sure I'd have loved MJ3 as well, but, what you just described doesnt sound very good to me.

I'd have to find a Mjolnir 3 on the used market. If it's as good as people say that may be difficult to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back