Schiit Mjolnir, Burson HA-160D, or Violectric V100
Jan 3, 2013 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
Scootermafia keeps nagging me to buy a new amp, so which one of the superhype LCD-2 amps is it going to be?

Thanks in advance pals.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 67
Perhaps you need to update your shortlist from the HA-160D to the Conductor or Soloist (if you don't need the DAC). These amps are more modern and designed with the new flagship headphones in mind. With more power it brings performance up to a new level. Both the LCD2 and HD800 are pair well with the new Bursons.

In terms of value, a Mjolnir + Gungnir + balanced cables will cost around the same level of the Conductor. The HA-160D on the other hand is a little bit cheaper.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 67
Quote:
Perhaps you need to update your shortlist from the HA-160D to the Conductor or Soloist (if you don't need the DAC). These amps are more modern and designed with the new flagship headphones in mind. With more power it brings performance up to a new level. Both the LCD2 and HD800 are pair well with the new Bursons.

In theory at least, Mjolnir is the route if you want to go full balanced. It's a more expensive proposition to get that setup completed. Which comes back to the point of the excellent value you can get with the Conductor.

Agreed with the Soloist/Conductor over the HA-160D.  Though I've never heard the Soloist/Conductor, I have heard the HA-160D with the LCD-2, and to say the least... it was lacking.  While there was plenty of bass impact, the sense of resolution got pretty messy.

Haven't heard the V100, but I own the V200 and can comment that it pairs very very well with the LCD-2, though on the warmer side of the spectrum.  Good luck! 

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 67
Parts Connexxion (Canada) has/had an introductory offer for the Burson Conductor (20% off + free shipping) - $1479.99. 

I almost bit the bullet but opted for the ALO Pan Am instead since I wanted a more transportable setup.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 67
K so the amp I've heard the most about was the V200, I don't wanna spend a grand honestly just because.. well I have a stigma against buying dacs and amps really.

Pete says his Mjolnir has replaced his Beta22, but he's also running the Gungnir. He's offering the Beta22 at a homie hookup too, sorry to put you on blast buddy but I'm really weighing out my options.

Does the Mjolnir really need the Gungnir? I don't have balanced cables but then again.. I'm also me so that shouldn't be a problem lol.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 67
Quote:
K so the amp I've heard the most about was the V200, I don't wanna spend a grand honestly just because.. well I have a stigma against buying dacs and amps really.

Pete says his Mjolnir has replaced his Beta22, but he's also running the Gungnir. He's offering the Beta22 at a homie hookup too, sorry to put you on blast buddy but I'm really weighing out my options.

Does the Mjolnir really need the Gungnir? I don't have balanced cables but then again.. I'm also me so that shouldn't be a problem lol.

The Bifrost is a good DAC, however the Gungnir is a pretty good step up. Without an DAC upgrade any future amp would be hampered.
The Mjolnir is the best value of those choices, esp w/LCD-2. The Burson should not be considered at all.

Upgrade your source and go with the Beta22, since you're getting a hookup.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 67
Quote:
The Bifrost is a good DAC, however the Gungnir is a pretty good step up. Without an DAC upgrade any future amp would be hampered.
The Mjolnir is the best value of those choices, esp w/LCD-2. The Burson should not be considered at all.

Upgrade your source and go with the Beta22, since you're getting a hookup.

How bad of a source if the NFB-12? I'd imagine for $220 you're not getting everything but I figured DAC's should be cheap items, or at least cheaper right?

What source are yall recommending? I know the theory of poo-in, poo-out applies but I'm especially supersticious about digital source purchases. I'm like an old man stuck in a cute 24 year old asian guy (im totally kidding).

He says the Mjolnir is better, but the Beta22 would be less moneyz

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 67
The B22 less money than the Mjolnir?  Sounds like a 2 channel??  I'd go with the Mjolnir this amps pairs very, very well with the LCD-Xs..  Also the BHA-1 - but that cost almost 2X more..

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

How bad of a source if the NFB-12? I'd imagine for $220 you're not getting everything but I figured DAC's should be cheap items, or at least cheaper right?

What source are yall recommending? I know the theory of poo-in, poo-out applies but I'm especially supersticious about digital source purchases. I'm like an old man stuck in a cute 24 year old asian guy (im totally kidding).

He says the Mjolnir is better, but the Beta22 would be less moneyz

I wouldn't say necessarily bad. I'd put it along the lines of the ODAC, for example. It's adequate, but things do get better.

This is just in context of climbing the ladder. Why spend $1k on an amp with a $200 source that hampers the chain.

I think you'd ideally want a true differential DAC, if you intend on going balanced. 

I'd go for Gungnir or perhaps the Octave DAC (no experience here, but by all accounts it performs.), though it doesn't offer balanced.

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 67
Ok so time to sweet talk the folks at Schiit with nude pics to see if I can save money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back