Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,351 of 1,649
The MMB2 sounds much better than the Modi 3+ that I have. After I got the MMB2 the Modi3+ sat unused for a while until I hooked it up to my CD player. That gave it a second life.
Now that you mentioned about Modi 3+, I think there's a few people here that upgraded from the Modi+ (not to be confused with 3+).

Could someone explain the tonal difference between Modi+ and MMB2?

If I remember correctly the progression was Modi 3+, Modi 3E, then Modi+ right?

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #1,352 of 1,649
Now that you mentioned about Modi 3+, I think there's a few people here that upgraded from the Modi+ (not to be confused with 3+).

Could someone explain the tonal difference between Modi+ and MMB2?

If I remember correctly the progression was Modi 3+, Modi 3E, then Modi+ right?
I bought the Modi+ upon release to see if there had been any major changes in sound to Schiit's recent DS DACs . Prior to this purchase, the last DS DAC I had was the original Modius AKM version, which I sold about 2 years ago. I also bought the MMB2 the morning that it was announced. Based on my comparisons, the Modi+ was pretty straight forward DS DAC sound. Tonally, it was pretty neutral. It was detailed without the treble region sounding harsh or etched (thanks to the work of MM and co) and the imaging was good. Compared to the MMB2, however, it sounded much more flat and two dimensional in its presentation. I also perceived for it to be less impactful overall - it didn't sound dull, but it didn't really wow me either. The MMB2 has much more impactful low end, the instrument separation is noticeably more distinct and layered, and the staging is a bit more open and wide. My daily driver DAC is the Bifrost 2/64, just to put things into perspective. The MMB2 is closer tonally and presentation-wise to the BF 2/64, than it is to the Modi+.

I sold the Modi+ recently, after it had been sitting in my closet for the last couple of months. I have decided to keep the MMB2, and I have no intentions of selling it any time soon. Does the Modi+ suck? Nope, absolutely not. It's a very competent and affordable upgrade, especially compared to anything that comes stock with your electronics. The MMB2 just does everything better. If you could only have one, I would go for the MMB2 and never consider another DS DAC anywhere near its price range.

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,354 of 1,649
My daily driver DAC is the Bifrost 2/64, just to put things into perspective. The MMB2 is closer tonally and presentation-wise to the BF 2/64, than it is to the Modi+.
Ah gotcha, so you're the 2nd person that I've read that basically says MMB2 is somewhat like a mini BF2/64. That's high praise though.
If you could only have one, I would go for the MMB2 and never consider another DS DAC anywhere near its price range.
LOL funny thing is, I had one and sold it. :joy:

It was the same thought process, since I only need single ended so I was thinking on paper this sounds perfect for what I'm looking for.

Though I wanted something a bit richer/thicker in the mids while most Schiit dac I've tried are a bit too clean and clear sounding. Nothing wrong with that though I guess at this point it's just preference.
the Modi+ was pretty straight forward DS DAC sound. Tonally, it was pretty neutral.
I have a friend who likes the AKM sound and the multibit sound who likes the new Modi +.
Yeah I was wondering if ignoring the fact that Modi+ is delta sigma, would it have enough things going on in its sound signature that might still make it interesting for me to try.

But if it's really neutral then probably not......

Another example is that Mojo 2 while it's FPGA based but I still really like its sound signature since it makes piano sound very rich. And SDAC which is AKM chip but I really like the sound signature despite its technicality (or lack of).

At this point I'm not too sure if what I'm looking for exists....... or at the price point I want...... :thinking:

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #1,355 of 1,649
...I still really like its sound signature since it makes piano sound very rich....
Schiit DAC and Loki to make things as thick or neutral as you prefer?

Question: DDC (USB cleaner, basically) from NUC to preamp for $$$ or NUC into Modi into preamp for $. No brainer, right?

(for DDC, think something like Denafrips Iris but actually affordable. I'd get an Eitr if they were still available)

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,358 of 1,649
Ah gotcha, so you're the 2nd person that I've read that basically says MMB2 is somewhat like a mini BF2/64. That's high praise though.

LOL funny thing is, I had one and sold it. :joy:

It was the same thought process, since I only need single ended so I was thinking on paper this sounds perfect for what I'm looking for.

Though I wanted something a bit richer/thicker in the mids while most Schiit dac I've tried are a bit too clean and clear sounding. Nothing wrong with that though I guess at this point it's just preference.

Yeah I was wondering if ignoring the fact that Modi+ is delta sigma, would it have enough things going on in its sound signature that might still make it interesting for me to try.

But if it's really neutral then probably not......

Another example is that Mojo 2 while it's FPGA based but I still really like its sound signature since it makes piano sound very rich. And SDAC which is AKM chip but I really like the sound signature despite its technicality (or lack of).

At this point I'm not too sure if what I'm looking for exists....... or at the price point I want...... :thinking:
Have you tried an original Modi multibit? Preferably with the firmware update.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #1,359 of 1,649
Schiit DAC and Loki to make things as thick or neutral as you prefer?
I thought about it many times actually. Then I was like ok I'm gonna try Peace EQ first since it's free.

*fiddle for 30 min*
*no matter what I do it always sounds worse than without EQ*

Well I guess I don't need EQ then LOL. But to be fair maybe Loki is designed to make the process much easier (as oppose to using Peace EQ) for dumb people like me.

So I should probably still give it a try.
Question: DDC (USB cleaner, basically) from NUC to preamp for $$$ or NUC into Modi into preamp for $. No brainer, right?

(for DDC, think something like Denafrips Iris but actually affordable. I'd get an Eitr if they were still available)
I only have poor man's Denafrips Iris.

SMSL PO100
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smsl-po100.25923/

Normally I don't care about measurements but in this case I think it got the thumbs up from the measurement crowd.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ak-measurements-digital-interfaces-dac.40483/

But I probably need something better....
Have you tried an original Modi multibit? Preferably with the firmware update.
I do have the original Modi Multibit but I don't know which firmware. I bought it straight from Schiit in 2021.

I did like the tonality and I like how intimate the voices are in USB mode but you lose out on layering / soundstage due to older USB. Then run through a DDC to Coax you gain much better soundstage and layering but voice got too far.

I can't win....... LOL..........

This is old pic:

PXL_20210303_170318042.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #1,360 of 1,649
I was thinking the other day, MMB1 had 4x oversample, and MMB2 has 8x oversample. MMB2 to me sounded a bit sharp and NOS mode feels a bit more natural but it also has other balance issues.

So what if they release a firmware that allows MMB2 to run at 4x oversample would it make it warmer sounding while having unison usb?

Best of both worlds maybe????

EDIT: I came up with this idea while taking a poop in the morning so if it sounded like a schitty idea it probably is.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #1,361 of 1,649
I was thinking the other day, MMB1 had 4x oversample, and MMB2 has 8x oversample. MMB2 to me sounded a bit sharp and NOS mode feels a bit more natural but it also has other balance issues.

So what if they release a firmware that allows MMB2 to run at 4x oversample would it make it warmer sounding while having unison usb?

Best of both worlds maybe????

I think it's Unison that makes it sound sharper. I've tried MM2 with Eitr and found the sound to be more smoother, but you lose a bit of details.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #1,362 of 1,649
I think it's Unison that makes it sound sharper. I've tried MM2 with Eitr and found the sound to be more smoother, but you lose a bit of details.
Hmmm maybe a bit of both? I did find with MMB2 with NOS mode the treble and bass amount did get less.

So the mega combo burrito filter definitely did something.

Need a lighter filter.... something like fish taco filter or something....... :laughing:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #1,363 of 1,649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back