Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Dec 23, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #31 of 1,649
Correct.

They are from the same family of chips (Analog Devices) that are used in the OG Yggy, but the MM2 uses two 16-bit chips while the OG Yggy uses four 20-bit chips.

As far as I know, that's not happening.
I thought that the Multibit 2 used one AD5547. Same as the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #32 of 1,649
I thought that the Multibit 2 used one AD5547. Same as the original.
You are correct. I mistakenly thought the AD5547 was a single channel DAC chip like the AD5781 and AD5791, but it's a 2-channel design, so only one is needed to process a stereo signal.

I've corrected the OP.

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #38 of 1,649
Its here!

1671906210797.png

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #43 of 1,649
I just got my MM2 today and I've been listening to it off and on for the past few hours. Here are a few of my thoughts about it:

- It runs significantly cooler than the original MM. When I had one, I was always wishing that the MM didn't run as hot as it did because I left in on 24/7, and now that issue has been completely fixed.

- The white LEDs have the perfect amount of brightness and they don't bleed much into eachother either. I owned a Modi+ for a few days (I returned it) and I was not impressed by how dim its LEDs were and how much the light from one would bleed into the other two. It looks like this issue has now been fixed as well.

- It's USB-C input stays connected to the source even if you switch to a different input. With the Ares II, once you switch from the USB input to a different one, it will lose its connection to the USB source, and when you go to switch back to the USB input, it takes a few seconds for the Ares II to recognize the USB source again. While this isn't a huge problem, it's still somewhat annoying. With the MM2, you can switch instantly between its three inputs without any issues.

- It sounds fan-damn-tastic!! IMHO, this is without a doubt the best sounding DAC you can buy for under $800! It goes toe-to-toe with the Ares II in the sonic category that matters the most to me - reproducing the lifelike tone and texture of the music. While the Ares II does have a wider and deeper soundstage and edges out the MM2 in overall SQ, the MM2 comes really close.

The Modi Multibit 2 is another huge slam-dunk from Schiit!! Bravo!! :L3000: :beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #44 of 1,649
I just got my MM2 today and I've been listening to it off and on for the past few hours. Here are a few of my thoughts about it:

- It runs significantly cooler than the original MM. When I had one, I was always wishing that the MM didn't run as hot as it did because I left in on 24/7, and now that issue has been completely fixed.

- The white LEDs have the perfect amount of brightness and they don't bleed (much) into eachother either. I owned a Modi+ for a few days (I returned it) and I was not impressed by how dim its LEDs were and how much the light from one would bleed into the other two. It looks like this issue has now been fixed as well.

- It's USB-C input stays connected to the source even if you switch to a different input on the MM2. With the Ares II, once you switch from the USB input to a different one, it will lose its connection to the USB source, and when you go to switch back to the USB input, it takes a few seconds for the Ares II to recognize the USB input again. While this wasn't a huge problem, it was somewhat annoying. With the MM2, you can switch instantly between its three inputs without any issues.

- It sounds fan-damn-tastic!! IMHO, this is without a doubt the best sounding DAC you can buy for under $800! It goes toe-to-toe with my Ares II in the sonic category that matters the most to me - reproducing the lifelike tone and texture of the music. While the Ares II does have a wider and deeper soundstage and edges out the MM2 in overall SQ, the MM2 comes really close.

The Modi Multibit 2 is another huge slam-dunk from Schiit!! Bravo!! :L3000: :beerchug:
Can you test NOS mode and give your impressions?

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #45 of 1,649
Can you test NOS mode and give your impressions?
I'll eventually get around to it, but right now I'm just enjoying it too much with the MegaComboBurrito filter engaged!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back