Schiit Owners Unite
May 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5,296 of 13,350
Do people here generally buy expensive interconnects for the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack or just whatever is cheapest. Can you guys recommend something decent for me from Amazon UK? I'm not sure if I should go for the cheapest available. I don't want to be sacrificing on sound quality to save a few pounds.

May 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #5,297 of 13,350
  Do people here generally buy expensive interconnects for the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack or just whatever is cheapest. Can you guys recommend something decent for me from Amazon UK? I'm not sure if I should go for the cheapest available. I don't want to be sacrificing on sound quality to save a few pounds.

Pair of Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 RCA cables for 30$ does it for me... Pair of their balanced Belden 1800F XLR cables set me back another 50$.
I believe you don't need anything more expensive than that, but it's just me.

They also ship internationally and cut any length you want.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/international.htm

IMO, they're the Schiit of the cable world.

May 15, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #5,299 of 13,350

I have bought Profigold interconnect and Audioquest Cinnamon USB and toslink cables from Amazon UK, and am happy with them FWIW. I will upgrade in due course. I am using the Gungnir with the Lyr, however, and functioning single-ended, not balanced.

Also - be careful about using the word 'cable'. The cable-denying thought police are out there. They will already have a file on you. If you spend more than £10, they will know and they will find you. Be very afraid.

May 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #5,300 of 13,350
I have bought Profigold interconnect and Audioquest Cinnamon USB and toslink cables from Amazon UK, and am happy with them FWIW. I will upgrade in due course. I am using the Gungnir with the Lyr, however, and functioning single-ended, not balanced.

Also - be careful about using the word 'cable'. The cable-denying thought police are out there. They will already have a file on you. If you spend more than £10, they will know and they will find you. Be very afraid.

Be very afraid, indeed! Don't waste your money on super fancy cables thinking it will change the sound. They look great and are usually built like tanks, so there's that.

If you are worried, send an email to schiit and ask what they recommend. They off PYST cables if you want to stack and need something short and convienent. Physics says that shorter cables are better and PYST are about as short as you can get outside of DIY.

Cheers

May 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #5,301 of 13,350
Told you.

May 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #5,302 of 13,350
I bought the Pyst and the USB they sell. Works fine. I did however buy a Silver Widow just to see if the hype was justified. Well it does sound great but honestly so did the cable that came with my LCD3s. So that was $500 that should have been saved towards a higher end amp and dac. Not that there is anything wrong with the stack I have now at all. Just that this cable stuff is seriously over-hyped IMHO.

May 15, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #5,303 of 13,350
My PYST arrived today, the remainder of the rig tomorrow and Saturday, I'll do some comparisons to what I have on hand, though they are all .5M vs 6 inches for the PYST.

May 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #5,304 of 13,350
I bought the Pyst and the USB they sell. Works fine. I did however buy a Silver Widow just to see if the hype was justified. Well it does sound great but honestly so did the cable that came with my LCD3s. So that was $500 that should have been saved towards a higher end amp and dac. Not that there is anything wrong with the stack I have now at all. Just that this cable stuff is seriously over-hyped IMHO.

You may need to break in the cables quite a bit. I notice over time, cable sound does improve, IMO.

May 16, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #5,305 of 13,350
  You will not be dissapointed, it's good Schiit. The USB implementation seems to be spot on. The Windoze drivers that Schitt supplies (download) works well and has some interesting enhancements found in their properties. If you need to boost bass, that can be found there, freq and level.

Very true, Stan!

May 16, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #5,306 of 13,350
I had a cheap usb cable to plug the dac to pc and was getting interferences
If you want to buy a good fancy usb cable anyway the wireworld ultraviolet has good reviews

We can argue on usb cable being useless because numerical with 0 and 1 but the Wireworld is well built and fit perfectly

May 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #5,308 of 13,350

You might want to look into getting custom cables built. Proaudiola and redco will make them build to order with Neutrik connectors and recording-studio grade wiring like Mogami. Tends to be cheaper than Blue Jeans Cable offerings for a very similar product. Can find all 3 of those companies via a quick google search. If you're in the UK there's probably something closer to you that does the same thing.

And there's always Monoprice.

May 16, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #5,309 of 13,350
  You might want to look into getting custom cables built. Proaudiola and redco will make them build to order with Neutrik connectors and recording-studio grade wiring like Mogami. Tends to be cheaper than Blue Jeans Cable offerings for a very similar product. Can find all 3 of those companies via a quick google search. If you're in the UK there's probably something closer to you that does the same thing.

And there's always Monoprice.

It's hard to beat Monoprice's value. I pretty much go with Monoprice for all my cables now since I can get them cheaper and with free shipping on Amazon.

May 16, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #5,310 of 13,350
  Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable is affordable and sounds good to my ears. Or maybe even a Supra USB cable will do fine though it sounds noticeably warmer than the AQ.

I use a white printer cable - highly recommended! 
tongue.gif

Most common issue with USB connection is a potential ground loop hum, but it has nothing to do with the cable itself.
I have no problem with DAC and PC connected to the same power outlet, but I have to use optical S/PDIF to connect
the DAC in another room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back