Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,651 of 13,350
Quote:
It's been stated that statement gear will run double of the mid-tier balanced Schiit. So yes, approximately.

And pricing could be subject to change...

It will not use the same family of tubes as Lyr.

But that was also kind of subject to change per Jason's words.

When did they mention the tube family?   I didn't see it on the post from Jason, must have been in a follow up post?

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,652 of 13,350
Just Received my bifrost, looks and sound great with the Asgard

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,655 of 13,350
Would anyone comment how the Billforst does as a dedicated DAC used with speakers?  I'm doing a lot of streaming listening from a Internet streaming receiver, and I'm just curious...in addition to HP listening how it stands up to traditional DAC components that are not specifically targeted to HP consumers.

I've got two sources with different outputs that will necessitate both SPDIF and USB. I'll use my HP's in both cases. And, if I take that plunge at a higher $ amount than originally anticipated, I'm wondering how the the Billforst functions as a regular DAC for plain old fashioned speaker listening in addition to my cans.

Just trying to justify....

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,656 of 13,350
Statement Amp

The Statement amp is much more mature, but we put its development on hold so it can be more closely aligned with the DAC. Also, transformer issues have slowed us down in iterating the design. Argh.

What I can tell you about the Statement amp is that it is more than a feature--packed Mjolnir. Think of a complete integrated amp, with special attention paid to the headphone output side, and yes, speaker binding posts. Same circlotron-style topology, but significantly different in execution for these power and current levels, and with a very different, relay-switched stepped attenuator volume control. Expect 50W into 8 ohms and multiple levels of gain, with the intention of serving everything from IEMs to loudspeakers. And yes, solid-state or hybrid will be available--but it'll be a one-time choice. There's no switching back and forth. 

He does mention multiple gain stages, but it doesn't say anything about precluding the use of 6dj8 family tubes there unless I am missing something?

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,657 of 13,350
Quote:

When did they mention the tube family?   I didn't see it on the post from Jason, must have been in a follow up post?

He hasn't.

However I asked him about this around April of last year. And as stated that's
subject to change, possibly.

I am pretty sure it's too early to ask: Why did you decide to offer both solid state and Hybrid? I am just having a tough decision on selling the Lyr to fund the Mjolnir and then keeping all the tubes I've invested in or letting them sit until the statement Hybrid. Will there be any difference compared to the solid state other than being able to tune the sound?

We do both SS and hybrid, because some people like SS, and some people like tubes--there's really nothing more to it than that. And the statement will use different tubes than Lyr. It's all about doing the best possible thing at the price point, which is relatively different depending on where we're at.

Ok, so none of the current Lyr compatible tubes will be rollable with the statement hybrid?
Please, say no.*

None of the current Lyr compatible tubes will work in the statement amp--it's an entirely different tube family, with different sockets. Or you can order it as an all solid-state amp.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,659 of 13,350
Some Peak competition.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #1,660 of 13,350
What other ones could they use other than 6SN7s?

Edit: While I'm guessing that the Statement amp will have unbalanced rca and balanced inputs, I guess it will be safe to say no phono stage? Any idea if there will be multiple unbalanced and balanced inputs (switchable)? Hoping I can buy just the amp to start and use the Bifrost until I can afford the DAC too.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,661 of 13,350
Many. It could be very rollable or not. We're just speculating on what tubes we find to possibly be the most fitting.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,662 of 13,350
I'm officially a Schiit owner, my Bifrost and Lyr arrived today!  
beerchug.gif

Right now I'm running in the GE 6BZ7s that came with the amp.  Once I see how these pan out I'll be rolling in some nicer, older NOS tubes.

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,663 of 13,350
thought id share my Schiit stack. very pleased with Asgard 2 and was one of the lucky that didnt have a transformer issue 

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #1,665 of 13,350
Very pretty. What headphones are you driving? Are those AKGs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back