Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 5, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,667 of 13,350
Quote:
Nice pics. Is it Ok to place the Modi on top though ? The Asgard 2 runs pretty warm.

I thought at at first because Asgard does run pretty hot but after about 2-3 hours with the amp on the bottom of Modi was only slightly warm. Seems that it doesnt absorb heat that well 
Quote:
Very pretty. What headphones are you driving? Are those AKGs?

ahaha no i only have beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm and Shure SRH840's both sound quite good. A2 really brings out the boom in my dt770s. I am in the market for open back headhphones, either hd650 or dt 990 250 ohm 

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,668 of 13,350
Sweet!

Here're my pieces of Schiit:

Here's my Lyr, doing what it does best:

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,669 of 13,350
Quote:
Sweet!

Very nice pics sir! Hey, have you tried to pre-amp that Rotel with the Lyr?

Was thinking of trying something similar myself.. 

I would love a pair of bookshelves with a nice 2CH power amp, and the Lyr as a pre-amp

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,670 of 13,350
Thanks!

No, I haven't, I confess it hadn't occurred to me.

that amp isn't connected to the system at the present moment, and it would be a lot of trouble to try that experiment now.  Maybe this summer...

The Lyr wouldn't be a very practical preamp for me, I need a lot more inputs, and I need a remote control...

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,671 of 13,350
Quote:
Sweet!

I love your ****! I mean Schiit! 

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,672 of 13,350
I have the DT990 600 ohm version, and they are magnificent.  The A2 drives them very well.  In fact, both the A1 and A2 drive them better than my uber expensive tube amp.  No lies.

Quote:
I thought at at first because Asgard does run pretty hot but after about 2-3 hours with the amp on the bottom of Modi was only slightly warm. Seems that it doesnt absorb heat that well 
ahaha no i only have beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm and Shure SRH840's both sound quite good. A2 really brings out the boom in my dt770s. I am in the market for open back headhphones, either hd650 or dt 990 250 ohm 

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #1,673 of 13,350
Quote:
I have the DT990 600 ohm version, and they are magnificent.  The A2 drives them very well.  In fact, both the A1 and A2 drive them better than my uber expensive tube amp.  No lies.

Thank you for that, would you recommend the 600ohm version over the 250ohm? They definitely are on my radar for open back headphones, i love my dt770's and was curious how hd650's sound but after looking on the asgard 2 thread, it seems like hd650s pair nicer with some tubes so maybe vahalla or Lyr in the future 

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #1,674 of 13,350
Honestly, I have not heart the DT990 250, but the general consensus is the 600 ohm version is better.  It's not has harsh, is more pleasing in the highs, and is more musical.  In other words, it's just better.

Quote:
Thank you for that, would you recommend the 600ohm version over the 250ohm? They definitely are on my radar for open back headphones, i love my dt770's and was curious how hd650's sound but after looking on the asgard 2 thread, it seems like hd650s pair nicer with some tubes so maybe vahalla or Lyr in the future 

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #1,676 of 13,350
Tube dampers.  Reduce internal noise of the tubes themselves.  Also can help reduce microphonics.  They aren't miracle workers, but they can help some.

Quote:
What are those things around the tubes?

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #1,677 of 13,350
Quote:
What are those things around the tubes?

That's not my system but they are called Tube Dampers. They're supposed to reduce or eliminate microphonic's which can cause sound quality issues 

Edit: hodgjy beat me to the punch :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #1,678 of 13,350
Quote:
Tube dampers.  Reduce internal noise of the tubes themselves.  Also can help reduce microphonics.  They aren't miracle workers, but they can help some.

Quote:

That's not my system but they are called Tube Dampers. They're supposed to reduce or eliminate microphonic's which can cause sound quality issues 

Edit: hodgjy beat me to the punch :)

Very interesting, thanks!

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,679 of 13,350
What do people think of the HD800 paired with the gungnit and mjolnir. Listen to nearly every kind of music, except metal. Was interested ingetting a balanced hd800 for the large soundstage. What does the mjolnir do for the hd800 in terms of highs mids bass. Want mjolnir to have decent bass as i also watch lots of movie on my headphones.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #1,680 of 13,350
Quote:
Would anyone comment how the Billforst does as a dedicated DAC used with speakers?  I'm doing a lot of streaming listening from a Internet streaming receiver, and I'm just curious...in addition to HP listening how it stands up to traditional DAC components that are not specifically targeted to HP consumers.

I've got two sources with different outputs that will necessitate both SPDIF and USB. I'll use my HP's in both cases. And, if I take that plunge at a higher $ amount than originally anticipated, I'm wondering how the the Billforst functions as a regular DAC for plain old fashioned speaker listening in addition to my cans.

Just trying to justify....

First off, what's a Billforst?
wink_face.gif

I used my Bifrost quite satisfactorily through my speakers. Until I upgraded to the Gungnir. The BF is best suited to adrenaline junkies. It moves the music right along, and it's lean and mean. That is, there's no added warmth and it does not smooth out low-quality sources. (Not that it should, neccessarily - that's a debate for audiophiles vs. music lovers - but some DACs [not to mention amps] do make everything sound a bit more relaxed.)

I'd recommend the Gungnir if you can at all afford it. Yeah, It's easy for me to spend your money. But not only is the SQ significantly improved in both detail and ease, there's three outputs so you can leave everything connected all the time.

But both are killer for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back