Schiit Urd Impressions thread
Aug 29, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #31 of 84
So, if I want to leave it on pause overnight to find the same spot later, is this harmful to the laser mechanism?

I now have urd located by the computer with m3, may be keeping this spot.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #33 of 84
How does seeking work on the Urd?

I really don't have high standards, but I have rejected several CD transports because the seeking happens in 1+ second intervals. I currently use an old Sony player with SPDIF out which allows me to seek through tracks in intervals that feel a lot more like real-time and let me properly discern what is happening in the track.
It isn't instant, but I don't find myself tapping my fingers as I do with the Yamaha cheapo cd player I have.
Oh I mean I connected the ultrarendu to the Yggdrasil via USB and the Urd to Yggy via coaxial. I completely bypassed the Urd USB in/out because I couldn’t get it to work.
You may try swapping cables. I find some cables that worked and others that didn't. I haven't tried to figure out why, could be a bad cable. It maybe have been 2 meters, not 1.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #34 of 84
Frustrating problems connecting Urd usb out to my dacs. Works fine connected to Topping D10. No such luck connecting to a Chord Qutest or Fiio R7. Understand Fiio may be driver related but the Chord?

Oct 14, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 84
@LeeJB1970 my experience with the Chord Qutest was the same, and I couldn't find any evidence that the USB input is UAC2. I did have success with other non-Schiit DACs, such as the Weiss DAC204 and Ayre QB-9 DSD, so it absolutely works with UAC2 DACs.

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #36 of 84
Urd and iOS

It appears that when connecting a iOS device to Urd, iOS does not identify it as a port to a DAC and makes the connection via wired Airplay.

When using BBC’s BBC sounds the stream is 48kHz/16bit (AAC).

If I send that from a iOS device to WiiM via WiFi Chromecast the signal is sent correctly at 48kHz and the Yggi identifies it as that.

However, when I connect the iOS device to the Urd with a cable the connection is made via wired Airplay and is transcoded to 44.1kHz and that’s what the Yggi sees.

Is there a way to fix this?

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #37 of 84
@LeeJB1970 my experience with the Chord Qutest was the same, and I couldn't find any evidence that the USB input is UAC2. I did have success with other non-Schiit DACs, such as the Weiss DAC204 and Ayre QB-9 DSD, so it absolutely works with UAC2 DACs.

Sorry, just seen this! Rob Watts confirmed UAC2 for the Qutest. Both Schiit and Fiio have gone quiet on this. Schiit offered to have a look at my Qutest and Urd together but I'm in the UK.

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #38 of 84
Urd it is going forward. Cardas RCA cable to BF264. If I can find a diamond encrusted USB cable, I'll give the bling a try.
Impression is adequate synergy from Schiit into speaker amp exists.

IMG_2620.jpeg

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #40 of 84
Does anyone here use the Urd with the Holo May KTE? Before I pull the trigger on the URD I'd really like to know which USB cables play nice with the May. I may have to contact Holo directly, I suppose.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #41 of 84
Yeah, cables do make a difference. I reached out to Schiit and they said: USB C cable rated 2.0 like Amazon basics or monoprice.

My unit's issue, described above, was not cables, even if the issue occurred more often with certain cables.
agree cables make a difference. Currently have USB C 2.0 and RCA cable between Urd and BF2/64, and switch between the two. Since connecting the USB C 2.0, I have found the Urd and BF2/64 not making music. CD in tray, reads CD, and track one spins and time lapses, but no music. pushing buttons to stop/play, switch between USB/RCA, do nothing. Powering down either unit does not reset, both units must power off/on for reset and then music. Curious activity that occurs intermittently. play a CD, put away CD, go do something else come back after 30 min, place new CD press start...but no music. switch off both units..few seconds...switch on and music. RCA only connection had not been problem at all, above description since connecting USB C 2.0. curious.

Jan 4 2024 edit. Bifrost returned to factory. Variable issues since Aug 22 2023 that have morphed and compounded lead me to conclude that Urd has not been part of the problem. All issues, problems, associated frustrations are due to the Bifrost.

Jan 15 2024 edit. New Bifrost unit delivered under warranty replacement. Thanks Schiit Audio.

Mar 24 2024 edit. Bifrost has been powered on 24/7. No problems. And Urd via USB No problems

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #43 of 84
By RCA you mean coax out? So if that works it should be your USB cable.

For USB from C to B I have this cable which works perfectly:

Monoprice USB 2.0 Type-C to Type-B Cable - for Use with Printers & More, 480Mbps, 3.3 Feet, Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGH5YP...0TVWSC&peakEvent=5&dealEvent=1&language=en-US
I'm aware of the Monoprice USB cable. I do not think it is the cable causing the issue, or the USB cable connectors. but maybe it is. I'll have to try something other than Audioquest.

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #45 of 84
I also had problems with the Urd's usb out. Didn't work with a Chord Qutest or a Fiio R7. It did work with a Topping D10 balanced ddc though. I tried all manner of cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back