Schiit Valhalla 2 - Very Quiet
Jul 21, 2021 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aviationwiz

New Head-Fier
I just received the Schiit Valhalla 2 and have it hooked up to my Modi 3+ (which is connected to my Mac using USB) - and it's incredibly quiet. With software volume set to the ~75-80 range, and the amp on low gain, max volume, the headphone volume is... listenable, though not loud by any means... switching the amp to high gain, everything is even quieter (which, I believe this is supposed to function the opposite way?) I tried this with the HD 6XX as well as the HE-4XX, and both behave the same.

I'm new to all this, and just thought I would reach out here to see if I'm missing something obvious before reaching out to Schitt. Thanks!

Jul 25, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 4
I just received the Schiit Valhalla 2 and have it hooked up to my Modi 3+ (which is connected to my Mac using USB) - and it's incredibly quiet. With software volume set to the ~75-80 range, and the amp on low gain, max volume, the headphone volume is... listenable, though not loud by any means... switching the amp to high gain, everything is even quieter (which, I believe this is supposed to function the opposite way?) I tried this with the HD 6XX as well as the HE-4XX, and both behave the same.

I'm new to all this, and just thought I would reach out here to see if I'm missing something obvious before reaching out to Schitt. Thanks!
You are correct that higher gain will be noisier, assuming any noise rises to the level of audibility. So, if you are doing things correctly, then yes - perhaps you should contact Schitt.

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 4
You should always set your source volume (i.e. your Mac) to 100%. I'm not sure if that is going to 'fix' things, but give it a go. I'd also suggest using a different source, like your phone's output straight into the Valhalla set to 100% to take the source + Modi out of the equation to see if the problem potentially lies there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back