Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #10,351 of 12,400
Got my Yggy today and I'm happy to report that there are no USB issues with the 5K iMac, waking from sleep or otherwise.

I repurposed my Gungnir too -- ended up with a Raspberry PI 2 + Hifiberry Digi+ > SPDIF RCA to BNC > Gungnir > WA6 > TH-900. I shouldn't be at this point, but nonetheless, I was shocked at the improvement of the Gungnir over the built-in DACs in my Marantz SR6007. It's been a very good sounding day!
Wow, what a setup! Really liked your description of specific songs. Longtime Don Henley and EC fan. I want to look up what similar setup would cost me but it would just be too depressing! lol

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #10,352 of 12,400
I believe the reason the Yggdrasil GS exists is because Schiit had a bunch of used A1 boards lying around after performing A2 upgrades and decided to make the GS to recycle those A1 boards. It seems like it would defeat the purpose of recycling them if they allowed them to be sent back for upgrade. Remember GS stands for garage sale.
True, but it's not too different than buying a used A1 Yggy and sending it in for upgrades.

If you look at the costs of shipping it back and the upgrades, you don't really save any money compared to just buying an A2 outright.

From a business perspective, I don't see why they wouldn't allow it all (aside from buying a GS, and asking to have it upgraded before it leaves the shop lol). Because, at the end of the day, they're obtaining more business by allowing for a GS which has flexibility to be upgraded (even by yourself at the least).

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #10,355 of 12,400
Feb 17, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #10,356 of 12,400
re: Yggdrasil GS. Why all the drama? It says right in the FAQ on the Schiit web site that it is not upgradable. So, like most products, you buy it and it is what it is. If you want the upgradeable version you do not want the GS. Seems simple to me.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #10,357 of 12,400
re: Yggdrasil GS. Why all the drama? It says right in the FAQ on the Schiit web site that it is not upgradable. So, like most products, you buy it and it is what it is. If you want the upgradeable version you do not want the GS. Seems simple to me.
Per the FAQ:
Well, I'll buy an Yggdrasil GS and then send it in for the upgrade, what do you think about that?
We think you should consider how much it costs to send things back to us, as well as return shipping.

The GS is more or less the same as the OG Yggy. Why not allow customers to send back in? It creates confusion for the customers. Also, the logistics would be annoying. What're they to do... Have every customer provide the serial no. before sending in for an upgrade, and decline any that are GS? Just seems like a lot of extra work and confusion for minimal benefit when they could just as easily accept the GS as any other Yggy, and accept the customer's money for upgrades. Lol

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #10,358 of 12,400
Per the FAQ:
Well, I'll buy an Yggdrasil GS and then send it in for the upgrade, what do you think about that?
We think you should consider how much it costs to send things back to us, as well as return shipping.

The GS is more or less the same as the OG Yggy. Why not allow customers to send back in? It creates confusion for the customers. Also, the logistics would be annoying. What're they to do... Have every customer provide the serial no. before sending in for an upgrade, and decline any that are GS? Just seems like a lot of extra work and confusion for minimal benefit when they could just as easily accept the GS as any other Yggy, and accept the customer's money for upgrades. Lol
They could have just as easily not offered the GS at all. Like I said, they have made it clear it isn't upgradeable. If that does not sit well with you don't buy one. :)

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #10,359 of 12,400
They could have just as easily not offered the GS at all. Like I said, they have made it clear it isn't upgradeable. If that does not sit well with you don't buy one. :)
Completely agree. I think a lot us are confused based on the wording, and how customer service has mentioned that a GS could be sent in for any future "A3" board upgrades.

Also, I already bought one with this in mind. Had I known upgrades are a no-go, I would've went a different route. :D

No drama. Just curiosities among a few of us Schiit heads. Ultimately, some comments from @Jason Stoddard would probably solve it once and for all lol

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #10,360 of 12,400

Do you work for Schiit?

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #10,361 of 12,400
They haven't made it clear that it's not upgradeable as until before today they were saying it was.

And they didnt do us a favor making the GS. They basically had free money with the A1 boards lying around and decided decided monetize it.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #10,363 of 12,400
1613598504486.png
If they are changing their stance it kind of sucks for people who bought thinking they could upgrade. Just wanted to show that I was not just making up that the GS can be upgraded if there were future revisions. I also know 2 people personally who have the unison upgrade on their GS. ordered and installed by themselves.
Thanks, that reply does indeed contradict the information provided in my email interaction.

Indeed, I was initially considering the Yggdrasil GS, since I could hold off on on upgrade until the Analog 3 arrives. I am happy with the Analog 1 boards, since my auditions with this unit was via its original configuration (Analog 1 with Gen 3 USB). However, if I can't send the unit in for upgrading, the value proposition of purchasing a GS drops considerably; I might have to get a full-spec Analog 2 instead.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #10,364 of 12,400
Well, here's the thing - the FAQ specifically addresses the question relevant to the Analog 2 board. It doesn't talk about its upgradeability options on future Analog boards; it doesn't rule out the possibility of upgrading to Unison USB either.

Hence, as there are unanswered questions, I reached out to Schiit for clarification.

Nevertheless, if this is the company's final answer, all's well and good. I just needed to confirm my understanding of the limits inherent to the GS if I went ahead to purchase one.

The rest of my posts were PSAs for the benefit of the Schiit community. :)

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #10,365 of 12,400
No sure why everyone thought the GS was “free lunch”. The reason it’s discounted is for those looking to get onto the platform via legacy A1 inventory at a lower price point. At least that’s what I understood from the web site.

if Schiit was going to permit the GS to be upgraded identically to full retail product, they would be cannibalizing their own product line sales for a lower cost device. An email from a random CS person shouldn't be considered a corporate commitment. I suspect it was an honest mistake, but this kind of futures policy should be confirmed with more senior staff if it’s a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back