Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #7,922 of 12,406
I for one await your observations.
And I wonder if that 10,000hr burn in still applies, as in, I'm hoping it will be less, much less. :L3000:

And if they are still holding to the ≈30 units/month I'm still 3+ months out.

JJ

Looks like the queue has accelerated lately. Hopefully, you'll do way better than that...

...and won't exactly be "suffering" listening to that "old" Yggy.

It actually made me nervous to pull and pack up my A unit. And the shallow, texture-less presentation of the cold B unit fed my paranoia! Reminded me of the "Perfect Sound Forever" performance. :anguished:

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #7,923 of 12,406
Yeah and they already have shaved off 40 places since the beginning of the 'great pause' of 2018.
It will be interesting to see how much (if any) the original thruput is increased by.

But that total number of those in the cue keeps rising and faster than the thruput, at least thus far.
A sure sign of increasing popularity.

But that's why I do like to hear the circuit as it dials itself in.
To get a sense of where it 'came from' so to speak, and more specifically what does change and how etc.

As for "suffering" having to settle for just an "old" Jggy, I'm reminded of Red Fox doing his 'My heart, MY heart" routine whilst clutching his chest and shuffling his feet, all the while checking to see if his son was buying it… :wink:
Besides I still have my tweako PWD dac which ain't no slouch.
So at the very least I can console myself while the anticipation builds, and builds… :L3000:

JJ

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #7,924 of 12,406
Yeah and they already have shaved off 40 places since the beginning of the 'great pause' of 2018.
It will be interesting to see how much (if any) the original thruput is increased by.

But that total number of those in the cue keeps rising and faster than the thruput, at least thus far.
A sure sign of increasing popularity.

But that's why I do like to hear the circuit as it dials itself in.
To get a sense of where it 'came from' so to speak, and more specifically what does change and how etc.

As for "suffering" having to settle for just an "old" Jggy, I'm reminded of Red Fox doing his 'My heart, MY heart" routine whilst clutching his chest and shuffling his feet, all the while checking to see if his son was buying it… :wink:
Besides I still have my tweako PWD dac which ain't no slouch.
So at the very least I can console myself while the anticipation builds, and builds… :L3000:

JJ
There is now a new gauge (presidential).Your Yggy will be returned soon,or not very soon.Because of such proclamations People Return to Religion. Jerusalem. .

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #7,925 of 12,406
Sharing another update on my system which is worth mentioning.
I was convinced of moving away from USB (despite my Gen5 upgrade is not bad at all).
Was looking for an AOIP solution until i got an alternative bargain transport - A Sonore Music Server with internal HDD/Votexbox/Squeezebox and Lynx AES16 card for AES/EBU input for my Yggy. Got it at US400 (was over $2,000 when new).
In summary, i can play streaming services or file based music sourced via the ethernet and sent to the Yggy's best input.
This has been a fantastic addition. If i can summarise, now i can draw the strength of all the combinations i have tried so far without their corresponding weaknesses. The last bit i was edging for is now solved i.e clear, solid, non-glaring high.
As i am settled on my DAc (Yggy) and speakers (Yamaha NS1000x), i can now confirm my transport is also settled (Sonore Music server).
I wish i could get others to hear my system. The sound in my living room is similar or sometimes better than the 3 to 5 times priced systems i have heard at demo stores. What a worthwhile pursuit towards the bliss.
Key message, get a good transport, use the AEs/EbU in Yggy and avoid USB in the chain - hopefully i dont offend anyone.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #7,927 of 12,406
I'm probably jumping the gun a bit here, but patience was never my strong suit .... Today was the day I finally got to play with my Yggy for the first time! :gs1000smile: It's been waiting patiently for me to return home. It arrived beginning on December and according to its Bxxxxx serial number is the v.2 Analog gen.5 USB version. I have it connected to my Mac Mini by USB and also by split coax via Eitr which is also feeding my Bifrost 4490. Yggy is connected to my Yamaha A-S3000 via balanced XLR and single-ended RCA. I know it's early days and I should give it at least two weeks burning in / stabilisation time before listening critically to it, but I can't help myself!....

It sounds excellent out of the box with no undesirable characteristics to report. BUT... so does my Bifrost 4490. In fact, the two DACs sound so similar that I cannot detect any differences between the two (both single-ended) when switching inputs in real-time on my A-S3000.

I'm wondering if my music preferences are what's preventing me from hearing a difference between the Yggy and my Bifrost 4490, as I tend to listen to music that's been recorded in a studio (Eagles, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, Journey, Toto, so generally well-recorded stuff, no modern hyper-compressed garbage in other words!). I have however also tried a couple of jazz albums (Nat King Cole's "Welcome To The Club" and Hiromi's "Another Mind") but am still struggling to tell the difference between the two DACs. Can someone please recommend a track or album that might make it easier for me to hear the difference in capability between these two DACs?

My A-S3000 has an input attenuation switch next to its XLR inputs which effectively level matches the balanced and single-ended inputs (give or take a few 10ths of a dB), which makes comparisons between single-ended and balanced sources fairer. Comparing Yggy single-ended to Yggy balanced, I do think I detect a little more clarity, presence and solidity on balanced. :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #7,928 of 12,406
I'm probably jumping the gun a bit here, but patience was never my strong suit .... Today was the day I finally got to play with my Yggy for the first time! :gs1000smile: It's been waiting patiently for me to return home. It arrived beginning on December and according to its Bxxxxx serial number is the v.2 Analog gen.5 USB version. I have it connected to my Mac Mini by USB and also by split coax via Eitr which is also feeding my Bifrost 4490. Yggy is connected to my Yamaha A-S3000 via balanced XLR and single-ended RCA. I know it's early days and I should give it at least two weeks burning in / stabilisation time before listening critically to it, but I can't help myself!....

It sounds excellent out of the box with no undesirable characteristics to report. BUT... so does my Bifrost 4490. In fact, the two DACs sound so similar that I cannot detect any differences between the two (both single-ended) when switching inputs in real-time on my A-S3000.

I'm wondering if my music preferences are what's preventing me from hearing a difference between the Yggy and my Bifrost 4490, as I tend to listen to music that's been recorded in a studio (Eagles, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, Journey, Toto, so generally well-recorded stuff, no modern hyper-compressed garbage in other words!). I have however also tried a couple of jazz albums (Nat King Cole's "Welcome To The Club" and Hiromi's "Another Mind") but am still struggling to tell the difference between the two DACs. Can someone please recommend a track or album that might make it easier for me to hear the difference in capability between these two DACs?

My A-S3000 has an input attenuation switch next to its XLR inputs which effectively level matches the balanced and single-ended inputs (give or take a few 10ths of a dB), which makes comparisons between single-ended and balanced sources fairer. Comparing Yggy single-ended to Yggy balanced, I do think I detect a little more clarity, presence and solidity on balanced. :)

I had the same experience with the Bimby and Yggy. It's very hard to tell the difference imho.

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #7,929 of 12,406

I do not expect anyone to agree/disagree but difference between RCA and XLR itself is big that can be perceived on my system. So, if you are using RCA on Yggy, try XLR. I have compared Benchmark DAC1 and Bricasti M1 with Yggy (A2) on my system and can hear difference very easily with any track. Try any of the Sting's tracks that I have felt over the years to be very complex to render an enjoyable experience.

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #7,930 of 12,406

I think Schiit's DAC family has a similar flavor so I initially had similar impressions. In my case, comparing Jotunheim's 4490 (I suppose you can call it a weaker sibling of Bifrost 4490) vs Yggdrasil A2 USB, the biggest improvements I found were better instrument separation/depth, more realistic tone across the spectrum, better resolution in mids and highs. Like @hifimckinney I also like Sting's tracks for testing. I use Ten Summoner's Tale which I'm most familiar with. You can hear the excellent drum work by Vinnie Colaiuta in this Sting's album. To me, Yggdrasil gives more realistic tone/spatial portrait of the drums (especially the intricate hihat/cymbals). From similar era, I like Bruce Springsteen's Tunnel of Love, Bruce Hornsby's Harbor Lights to check out the differences.

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #7,931 of 12,406

Percussion instruments including piano sound more realistic with Yuggy as compared to Gumby, that's what my ears picked up on first. The difference between Yuggy and Bifrost will probably be more noticeable at first with decent speakers as opposed to headphones.

It may take a little time, but you should be able to tell the difference between the two.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #7,932 of 12,406
Just joined the club today as the Fedex guy trekked through the thunderstorms here. I never really thought to look at it's specs size wise, but man this thing is massive compared to a Gumby... and I thought the Gumby was large already.

TR7Ca6sCUSOwljuXaKgYmXVzjNUM7BAJrb8THh6tLXd6qvzj8vbLMRUhpAF6d6bQo8juqUmlv_3Irn_A4803PILrNg0wrL4FTSlgkL1RxHkcYaAsF4dclZwCJUe_UaS4xy4ij3fa7nXuIWluuvqHHTwadPhBuiHXHdFoi_VDowUMuXgjyWwZeRXy10JnjYPEbDPQY24oVayoVr7R1U8ez1VrK89rfhBeK9n2uGF9wsS8WIY17f_uG0EuQr2oNS3QhgeAEXyhX7xuf5mbrpG_5jmfkW5j-2dApFAW-t3R251_dXGG4BUzNsOhJQW93NXmG_DDcDB5C6B2veflwrmh7mMl0jMNsAdarDdoN0r-slk3MMDKilgsMaqFsiCqnZgfkKxigSE2ymH2ZJc-OlOHcQ1K-SxlbCeZUOkunA0hh_76KjXtXJPrKi7bizGgNGiKkmdw1lNwhz9ThSqGwdtmw2P5QExxaFcyL3Qr12RxQgqFEZunigMgpC6gMuA5TsnaClQK6QD4sIa2K9B6y_EFU2Ef5Fqu00Hzl5SPtX3AcjD_Q4S1P6P2iQYmE5ICRcJnhqw444gx8Bt91kFFGaTPYDmD5Qycr4a9ONeklg-P=w999-h749-no

GpuKAJAd7cpIHWpxrWFTr5gYJzwHhHcyKcFsBy2_TZRMDaM6gTGnytRTcSTyqfUrAag7qlh-ZecfndKSLJooC3GTwLLzE65l9h7DItqRzylqSZdfx7-Mw9s3iMPNT0nh50zF8cAaOcmvKlYetC88fDfZteboJedJ9Ecfu9cyMycloLU0uVERcEkBq-yLUjkusk8-jIQxs5tseqoqzHXEJL3t1QvkR6-HUZwhet4cewOX86zLRbXnyoyxwKAkjhv81elx3l58sp-yyUgDCJWBaHGCKH8V_Nz_58bMiJxKWwgzETl3NkFIV4n9IkYPQeITrekMcZgbxBlFrcfahW1o3OvPpsOeUjTVe2EUr5bGuaYmZOQ98qGz6u1RpyvUlm8Xn6lJg0DAVqW-iU7qPaYBlXNhvmvG-zB7dUhDrKJXd0dUZfFHQfVtmtDPQNWJC7N2OnKQcih4s2KtiNAhzW1_RiC2Pb8odzh_mKlAngSute69TRxB069djR6T61P71HoixNqCljInj751y38zKg5PI0KSusIUqoorqzAL4u1kClByUAW_OW1sYSknqlMAU7ZYgl7070ywpjAGkatBzuOubCtuHdSNbnxi9ZSQG27M=w1383-h1037-no

I think Schiit's DAC family has a similar flavor so I initially had similar impressions. In my case, comparing Jotunheim's 4490 (I suppose you can call it a weaker sibling of Bifrost 4490) vs Yggdrasil A2 USB, the biggest improvements I found were better instrument separation/depth, more realistic tone across the spectrum, better resolution in mids and highs. Like @hifimckinney I also like Sting's tracks for testing. I use Ten Summoner's Tale which I'm most familiar with. You can hear the excellent drum work by Vinnie Colaiuta in this Sting's album. To me, Yggdrasil gives more realistic tone/spatial portrait of the drums (especially the intricate hihat/cymbals). From similar era, I like Bruce Springsteen's Tunnel of Love, Bruce Hornsby's Harbor Lights to check out the differences.

Are you going out through SE or XLR on the Yggy?

Once the Yggy goes through its warmup phase, I'm going to see if I can tell a difference between the following:

Gumby SE vs Yggy SE --> Liquid Crimson
Gumby XLR vs Yggy XLR --> Liquid Carbon

I'll be a bit bummed if there isn't much difference between SE outputs and the big jumps in performance are in balanced/XLR. (would kind of puts my Crimson in a weird place).

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #7,933 of 12,406
Percussion instruments including piano sound more realistic with Yuggy as compared to Gumby, that's what my ears picked up on first. The difference between Yuggy and Bifrost will probably be more noticeable at first with a decent speakers as opposed to headphones.

It may take a little time, but you should be able to tell the difference between the two.

Just setup my A/B setup. Quickly switching between the 2, the first thing I picked up on was that the Gumby was definitely warmer. I also picked up on the increase in heft on the thuds in ' Letter - Yosi Horikawa '. I'll let the Yggy warm up a bit more and will definitely check out some piano solos.

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #7,934 of 12,406
Just joined the club today as the Fedex guy trekked through the thunderstorms here. I never really thought to look at it's specs size wise, but man this thing is massive compared to a Gumby... and I thought the Gumby was large already.

TR7Ca6sCUSOwljuXaKgYmXVzjNUM7BAJrb8THh6tLXd6qvzj8vbLMRUhpAF6d6bQo8juqUmlv_3Irn_A4803PILrNg0wrL4FTSlgkL1RxHkcYaAsF4dclZwCJUe_UaS4xy4ij3fa7nXuIWluuvqHHTwadPhBuiHXHdFoi_VDowUMuXgjyWwZeRXy10JnjYPEbDPQY24oVayoVr7R1U8ez1VrK89rfhBeK9n2uGF9wsS8WIY17f_uG0EuQr2oNS3QhgeAEXyhX7xuf5mbrpG_5jmfkW5j-2dApFAW-t3R251_dXGG4BUzNsOhJQW93NXmG_DDcDB5C6B2veflwrmh7mMl0jMNsAdarDdoN0r-slk3MMDKilgsMaqFsiCqnZgfkKxigSE2ymH2ZJc-OlOHcQ1K-SxlbCeZUOkunA0hh_76KjXtXJPrKi7bizGgNGiKkmdw1lNwhz9ThSqGwdtmw2P5QExxaFcyL3Qr12RxQgqFEZunigMgpC6gMuA5TsnaClQK6QD4sIa2K9B6y_EFU2Ef5Fqu00Hzl5SPtX3AcjD_Q4S1P6P2iQYmE5ICRcJnhqw444gx8Bt91kFFGaTPYDmD5Qycr4a9ONeklg-P=w999-h749-no

GpuKAJAd7cpIHWpxrWFTr5gYJzwHhHcyKcFsBy2_TZRMDaM6gTGnytRTcSTyqfUrAag7qlh-ZecfndKSLJooC3GTwLLzE65l9h7DItqRzylqSZdfx7-Mw9s3iMPNT0nh50zF8cAaOcmvKlYetC88fDfZteboJedJ9Ecfu9cyMycloLU0uVERcEkBq-yLUjkusk8-jIQxs5tseqoqzHXEJL3t1QvkR6-HUZwhet4cewOX86zLRbXnyoyxwKAkjhv81elx3l58sp-yyUgDCJWBaHGCKH8V_Nz_58bMiJxKWwgzETl3NkFIV4n9IkYPQeITrekMcZgbxBlFrcfahW1o3OvPpsOeUjTVe2EUr5bGuaYmZOQ98qGz6u1RpyvUlm8Xn6lJg0DAVqW-iU7qPaYBlXNhvmvG-zB7dUhDrKJXd0dUZfFHQfVtmtDPQNWJC7N2OnKQcih4s2KtiNAhzW1_RiC2Pb8odzh_mKlAngSute69TRxB069djR6T61P71HoixNqCljInj751y38zKg5PI0KSusIUqoorqzAL4u1kClByUAW_OW1sYSknqlMAU7ZYgl7070ywpjAGkatBzuOubCtuHdSNbnxi9ZSQG27M=w1383-h1037-no

Are you going out through SE or XLR on the Yggy?

Once the Yggy goes through its warmup phase, I'm going to see if I can tell a difference between the following:

Gumby SE vs Yggy SE --> Liquid Crimson
Gumby XLR vs Yggy XLR --> Liquid Carbon

I'll be a bit bummed if there isn't much difference between SE outputs and the big jumps in performance are in balanced/XLR. (would kind of puts my Crimson in a weird place).

I'm using XLR. I had Gumby and Yggdrasil (both latest editions) side by side before I settled on Yggdrasil. I think tonally, Gumby vs Yggy is more different than 4490 vs Yggy. It's fun listening to the difference. Enjoy :)

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #7,935 of 12,406

in my system, i can highlight differences mostly in the treble range -- specifically with cymbals -- and in terms of ambiance and soundstage. really well recorded albums (like shelby lynne - just a little lovin, diana krall - live in paris, chet baker - chet) do a good job highlighting those differences. i don't think you're going to find it on the artists you listed -- too much studio processing except on some jackson browne albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back