Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 5, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #11,101 of 12,398
Aug 6, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #11,102 of 12,398
@supersonic395 please let me know if you figure out the issue. I, too, cannot connect my Zen Stream to my Yggy A2 over USB. I’ve been using coax without issue so it’s NBD but I would like to be able to switch between inputs to hear the differences.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #11,103 of 12,398
Has anyone tried connecting a Sony Walkman WM1Z to Yggy via USB (with the Unison USB module)? I'm using a WMC-NWH10 WM-Port / USB adaptor and a USB2 / USB-B cable, but Walkman wouldn't be able to switch to USB output mode automatically. I'm able to do this with my other DAC (a JDS EL DAC II+ for my consoles). I'm wondering if this is related to Schiit not supporting any Sony related formats out there, although WM1Z should support PCM and UAC2?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #11,104 of 12,398
You may be right, but the moment a $2k DAC can beat an $8k DAC, it then becomes a race to the bottom.

Why would that be a negative? Surely it's a victory for the consumer?

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #11,105 of 12,398
Why would that be a negative? Surely it's a victory for the consumer?
Because in this hobby, snake oil flows like wine.

By far, the biggest obsession is to own a "giant killer". Then, everyone's on the lookout for the thing to kill the giant killer. Then, everyone's on the lookout for the thing to kill that. Forever. Whether or not it actually kills anything? Who cares! You're smart for buying The Latest Hotness (tm), and everyone else is an idiot for overpaying.

There's already talk about the Bifrost 2/64 being basically the same as the LIM. The $800 hotness giant kills the $2200 hotness that giant kills the $8000 hotness. Then, there will be a Topping BF90 to giant kill the BF2/64. Then there will be the $200 less version called the BF50 which is basically just as good. Then the $150 cheaper version, the BF30, which "basically performs the same". And we've gone directly from $8000 to $300 via The Hype Train.

I've blathered about this in a thread somewhere (hopefully not this one), but my favourite microcosm is in an old InnerFidelity review of a Mjolnir Audio amp, several thousand dollars. Someone even more ornery than I am didn't read a word of the review and thought the review was about the Schiit Mjolnir. This is shortly after the original Jotunheim came out, and the person asked Tyll to confirm that it's basically as good as the Mjolnir for half the price. Went from several thousand to $800 to $400 in one freaking comment.

There's 10000 examples in the IEM world.

It's a sickness.

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #11,106 of 12,398
@Delta9K Sorry for @ing you, but I noticed you using both Holo Spring 3 and Yggy OG. How's Yggy OG compared to Spring 3 KTE? Can they compete in same level? Considering whether to buy Spring 3 or Yggy so answer would be appreciated!

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #11,107 of 12,398
Many a times DAC shines with speakers and less so with headphones. For eg to get the true benefit out of some thing like Rockna Wavedream sig we need to listen to it with speakers because with headphone it may sound too dynamic or harsh in some cases and may sway few in saying how lesser DAC are better.

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #11,108 of 12,398
I noticed you using both Holo Spring 3 and Yggy OG. How's Yggy OG compared to Spring 3 KTE? Can they compete in same level?
Hello,
I really enjoy and appreciate each piece for what they bring individually so it's difficult to call a favorite. Can they compete, yes with a favorable nudge IMO to the Spring3 KTE.
I feel the Holo is stronger technically all around, and for me is more natural and believable in timbre and staging, but this is considering my preferences, library and more so the gear I have it paired up with. I use the Spring with the Oor and Susvara primarily and for me together they sound the best out of what I have. I use this setup for when I sit down to listen to music exclusively. I picked up the Yggy to match up with a Violectric V550 - this chain gets used with a broader set of headphones and is my primary desktop setup working an HE6se and a TH909 mostly. Here the Yggdrasil performs wonderfully, I appreciate its timbre, energy and versatility with the phones and all the different sources I work from it.

To give an idea of music I'm running through the gear, I prefer modern Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Smooth Jazz, Funk, Disco, Progressive Rock, and Classic Rock, but not much classical etc. Both chains are sourcing a dedicated roon server w/local or Qobuz FLAC via ethernet to an ultraRendu for the Spring via USB, and an Allo DigiOne via coax spdif to the Yggy. I also have a PC connected to the Yggy via USB to a DDC and then AES to the Yggy.

I'm guessing not the definitive answer you were looking for. My suggestion is try to get an audition if you can, but if that's not feasible then pick one, get it home with your setup and your library and listen for a while and let your ears decide. If you like what you are hearing then it call it good and be happy. I don't think either would let you down.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #11,109 of 12,398
@Delta9K Sorry for @ing you, but I noticed you using both Holo Spring 3 and Yggy OG. How's Yggy OG compared to Spring 3 KTE? Can they compete in same level? Considering whether to buy Spring 3 or Yggy so answer would be appreciated!
I'd not say any of the Holo DACs (I own May KTE and Spring 2 KTE) dominate Y. OG. Redbook material has great dense tonality on the Holo DACs in NOS mode, but it sounds smeared compared with Y. OG unless the material us upsampled to a high sample rates with the right upsampler and modulator (from HQPlayer in my case).

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #11,110 of 12,398
I'd not say any of the Holo DACs (I own May KTE and Spring 2 KTE) dominate Y. OG. Redbook material has great dense tonality on the Holo DACs in NOS mode, but it sounds smeared compared with Y. OG unless the material us upsampled to a high sample rates with the right upsampler and modulator (from HQPlayer in my case).
Would you mind sharing your favored up sampler and modulator? Thanks!

Aug 13, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #11,111 of 12,398
Hello,
I really enjoy and appreciate each piece for what they bring individually so it's difficult to call a favorite. Can they compete, yes with a favorable nudge IMO to the Spring3 KTE.
I feel the Holo is stronger technically all around, and for me is more natural and believable in timbre and staging, but this is considering my preferences, library and more so the gear I have it paired up with. I use the Spring with the Oor and Susvara primarily and for me together they sound the best out of what I have. I use this setup for when I sit down to listen to music exclusively. I picked up the Yggy to match up with a Violectric V550 - this chain gets used with a broader set of headphones and is my primary desktop setup working an HE6se and a TH909 mostly. Here the Yggdrasil performs wonderfully, I appreciate its timbre, energy and versatility with the phones and all the different sources I work from it.

To give an idea of music I'm running through the gear, I prefer modern Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Smooth Jazz, Funk, Disco, Progressive Rock, and Classic Rock, but not much classical etc. Both chains are sourcing a dedicated roon server w/local or Qobuz FLAC via ethernet to an ultraRendu for the Spring via USB, and an Allo DigiOne via coax spdif to the Yggy. I also have a PC connected to the Yggy via USB to a DDC and then AES to the Yggy.

I'm guessing not the definitive answer you were looking for. My suggestion is try to get an audition if you can, but if that's not feasible then pick one, get it home with your setup and your library and listen for a while and let your ears decide. If you like what you are hearing then it call it good and be happy. I don't think either would let you down.
Thanks for the detailed answer! I want to audition Schiit DACs but there's no demo units here :frowning2: (There's one for Holo DACs and I demoed it.)

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #11,112 of 12,398
Thanks for the detailed answer! I want to audition Schiit DACs but there's no demo units here :frowning2: (There's one for Holo DACs and I demoed it.)
You might try to get to a meet or a show.
A show with lots of vendors like CanJam would be a good option. Next show is in SoCal in September. Or wait for the next one in Singapore?

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #11,113 of 12,398
You might try to get to a meet or a show.
A show with lots of vendors like CanJam would be a good option. Next show is in SoCal in September. Or wait for the next one in Singapore?
Hmm... currently both are out of reach. (1. There's very few Schiit owners let alone Yggy here in SK. 2. I have a very big event in November) I might go to CanJam Singapore in 2023 but this purchase will be for now. There's local show in November but sadly it's just before that big event and no Schiit dealer/distributor here.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #11,114 of 12,398
Would you mind sharing your favored up sampler and modulator? Thanks!
HQPlayer, SDM mode, 48k x256, adaptive rate:

1x Filter: poly-sinc-gaus-xla
Nx Filter: poly-sinc-gaus-hires-ip
Modulator: ASDM7ECv2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back