Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 9, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #12,331 of 12,398
thats defective then.
I did hastily jump to this conclusion.
However after two days in it's box, and then a start-over, with location change and space between other components, the unit mechanical/transformer noise seems to be quieting down.
I will keep the Yggdrasil.

May 9, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #12,332 of 12,398
However after two days in it's box, and then a start-over, with location change and space between other components, the unit mechanical/transformer noise seems to be quieting down.

I did say the power gremlins before hehe

May 9, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #12,333 of 12,398
Can anyone hear the difference in plankton between 8 and 7.5? Layering and separation 7 vs 8! Really, I needed a good chuckle this morning with my coffee. For that matter, I enjoy a good chuckle any day any time!
Yeah I dont 100% agree with Marv's findings, but, it's pretty close. I wouldnt call OG a 6 Clarity either. But it is useful for a comparison between A1/A2.

May 9, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #12,334 of 12,398
yay!

May 10, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #12,335 of 12,398
Yeah I dont 100% agree with Marv's findings, but, it's pretty close. I wouldnt call OG a 6 Clarity either. But it is useful for a comparison between A1/A2.
Yeah THIS particular A1 OG is giving me 95% of the “clarity” of live music I get with my analog rig; the best “clarity” digital I’ve ever had in my system the last 34 years… they are clearly (ha) sympatico

I am going to investigate potentially upgrading the firmware though, anyone know if once one upgrades YggY firmware one could go BACK if one wanted to, or is it a one-way street?

May 10, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #12,336 of 12,398
Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #12,337 of 12,398
May 10, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #12,338 of 12,398
May 10, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #12,339 of 12,398
recently bought a used OG A1 with USB gen 5. I'm not happy w/ it. It sounds objectively worse than my shanling H7 with the latest AKM 4499EX DAC when connecting to a Mjolnir 3 over RCA.
The H7 w/ its AKM DAC has noticeably tighter and ethereal sound, and more importantly, noticeably more detail especially in the treble region. The OG A1 sounds veiled & muddy in comparison, and the details that effortlessly pop out on the H7 I almost have to strain to notice with the yggy. I notice nothing "special" about the yggy, aside from a more analog, organic sound compared to the H7, which is to be expected given the differences between R2R/multibit vs DS sound signature.
My question is, will adding a LIM to it help bring out more detail? I have read that the OG A2 is actually described as "aggressive" and "fatiguing" with lots of detail & energy, compared to the LIM which supposedly has a more neutral smoother sound.
But what about the A1 compared to the LIM? Sonically is the A1 considered to be darker and less detailed than the A2? And do people here that own LIM yggys think that I will notice an improvement in the treble and detail retrieval region over the A1?
Also worth mentioning I already upgraded to the unison USB from the gen 5. I do think the unison did minorly improve layering and texture of the sound vs the gen 5, but I still find the H7 hands down sounds better, despite being a portable headphone dac/amp that's 1/10 the size and weight of the yggy and less than half the cost.
FWIW, my headphones are the goldplanar GL850. Not popular I know, but consider it very similar to a heddphone, as its the same tech. And it sounds absolutely sublime w/ the H7 + mj3.

ps, also seeing all these A2 deals pop up only a week after I bought my used A1 for $1300 is also making my stomach turn a bit. Felt like I was getting a deal but when upgrading to unison + LIM I'm $2k deep into this hunk of metal now :\.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #12,340 of 12,398
Also I guess the other thing I should mention, how many days will it take for the yggy to reach its full potential. I've read reviews say this warmup period doesn't matter, but almost all actual user feedback says to expect it to take 3-5 days or so to reach its full potential. I have no problem leaving it plugged in 24/7. It's been on for about 24 hours since I unplugged it to install the unison USB. Do you guys also think I'll get some treble sparkle & detail and the muddiness will start to clear in the coming days?

Thanks!

May 10, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #12,341 of 12,398
recently bought a used OG A1 with USB gen 5. I'm not happy w/ it. It sounds objectively worse than my shanling H7 with the latest AKM 4499EX DAC when connecting to a Mjolnir 3 over RCA.
The H7 w/ its AKM DAC has noticeably tighter and ethereal sound, and more importantly, noticeably more detail especially in the treble region. The OG A1 sounds veiled & muddy in comparison, and the details that effortlessly pop out on the H7 I almost have to strain to notice with the yggy. I notice nothing "special" about the yggy, aside from a more analog, organic sound compared to the H7, which is to be expected given the differences between R2R/multibit vs DS sound signature.
My question is, will adding a LIM to it help bring out more detail? I have read that the OG A2 is actually described as "aggressive" and "fatiguing" with lots of detail & energy, compared to the LIM which supposedly has a more neutral smoother sound.
But what about the A1 compared to the LIM? Sonically is the A1 considered to be darker and less detailed than the A2? And do people here that own LIM yggys think that I will notice an improvement in the treble and detail retrieval region over the A1?
Also worth mentioning I already upgraded to the unison USB from the gen 5. I do think the unison did minorly improve layering and texture of the sound vs the gen 5, but I still find the H7 hands down sounds better, despite being a portable headphone dac/amp that's 1/10 the size and weight of the yggy and less than half the cost.
FWIW, my headphones are the goldplanar GL850. Not popular I know, but consider it very similar to a heddphone, as its the same tech. And it sounds absolutely sublime w/ the H7 + mj3.

ps, also seeing all these A2 deals pop up only a week after I bought my used A1 for $1300 is also making my stomach turn a bit. Felt like I was getting a deal but when upgrading to unison + LIM I'm $2k deep into this hunk of metal now :\.

While I've never heard the A1 or LIM, when I had my MIB, it took a solid 100 hours or more of continuous playback for it to sound the way it should. It should not sound muddy. From what I understand, it's also best to always leave the Yggy on, as it can take a long time to sound it's best after leaving it off for a decent length of time. I never actually tested this myself, so I'll leave others with more experience to comment.

May 10, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #12,343 of 12,398
There's also an A2 OG in black w/ unison on Head-Fi for $1475, posted earlier today.

@Slackaveli I think it might be the unit I tried to buy for $1200 and is getting flipped, but without photos I can't tell. Lmao
Wow that’s a stupid low price. I picked up my A2 Unison for $1,800 and I thought that was a steal.

May 11, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #12,345 of 12,398
Also I guess the other thing I should mention, how many days will it take for the yggy to reach its full potential. I've read reviews say this warmup period doesn't matter, but almost all actual user feedback says to expect it to take 3-5 days or so to reach its full potential. I have no problem leaving it plugged in 24/7. It's been on for about 24 hours since I unplugged it to install the unison USB. Do you guys also think I'll get some treble sparkle & detail and the muddiness will start to clear in the coming days?

Thanks!
Let it run for 4-5 days and don’t power it off before critical Listening and use balanced . SE in older gen Schiit DAC are subjectively inferior to balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back