Schitt modi 2 Uber VS modi 2 multi
Oct 17, 2017 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dutch1Schaefer

Head-Fier
Howdy all,

just like the title says I’m ready to purchase an amp and dac for my RHA T20’s. From what I’ve been researching as far as dacs go I want to choose between the two for the features and the great prices.

I use tidal and from what I understand it is CD quality. I would like to hear from members who own, have owned both, or have spent a decent amount of time with each to A/B them.

The cost is $100 more for the Multibit. Which isn’t a ton of money but is still a chunk of change. (Father of 3 here lol)

So any insight, impressions, comparisons would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 8
From what I've heard around here, the Multibit is definitely better sounding than the Modi 2/Uber. It is a completely different design also. Judging from the other posts about this subject, it would seem that the Multibit easily has the potential to be the only DAC you will ever need. If Tidal is your main focus, I suggest just going for the Multibit and call it a day. Upgrading past that point in your situation would be unnecessary IMO so I think the Multibit would be a nice endgame DAC in that case.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in about the sound, as I've done plenty of research on it and read countless posts, but have never heard it. I own the Uber and Jotunheim DAC Module (which are the same chip I believe) and they're just fine for me. I may go Multibit down the road but I'd like to hear it on my Jot first to see how it compares to the balanced architecture

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your input. I’m just very new to the audio world, I understand most the basics, but I have very little gear experience (headphone wise) whatsoever other than having a pair of sennhieser 598s (stolen shortly after purchase) I would plug staight into my phone.

It’s cool being able to have a place like head-fi to pick others brains, and learn more about this stuff.

I’m sure I will tumble down the rabbit hole with other headphones and iems, but getting started with a decent amp and dac is what’s important to me, so I won’t have to upgrade those components right away.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for your input. I’m just very new to the audio world, I understand most the basics, but I have very little gear experience (headphone wise) whatsoever other than having a pair of sennhieser 598s (stolen shortly after purchase) I would plug staight into my phone.

It’s cool being able to have a place like head-fi to pick others brains, and learn more about this stuff.

I’m sure I will tumble down the rabbit hole with other headphones and iems, but getting started with a decent amp and dac is what’s important to me, so I won’t have to upgrade those components right away.
Magni 3 will 100% hold you over for quite a while. It's a very powerful little amp and IMO can't be beat by anything in it's price range

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 8
Not to mention that Schiit products hold their resale value quite well around here...I'd go ahead and grab the multibit and call it a day,and if for whatever reason you dont like it you can flip it pretty easily with minimal loss.

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Howdy all,

just like the title says I’m ready to purchase an amp and dac for my RHA T20’s. From what I’ve been researching as far as dacs go I want to choose between the two for the features and the great prices.

I use tidal and from what I understand it is CD quality. I would like to hear from members who own, have owned both, or have spent a decent amount of time with each to A/B them.

The cost is $100 more for the Multibit. Which isn’t a ton of money but is still a chunk of change. (Father of 3 here lol)

So any insight, impressions, comparisons would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
If you use Tidal HiFi it is close to cd quality not all the way there but pretty close. I still think it is fantastic as it saves me a bunch of money buying new cd’s that I might only like a few songs on. To each their own on that one but I use it almost everyday. I have not tried all the other premium streaming services so can’t say one is better than another but I’m happy as I think most of the others are strictly MP3 which in of itself is not a bad thing as most have a hard time telling the difference as most well recorded and encoded music is hard to tell the difference unless you have gear that can reveal it. As for the Schiit dac’s I’ve heard all of the Multibit ones and most of the others but did not a/b them so will not give a judgment on that but will say I do like the Multibit sound as I have the Yggdrasil and just love it so that makes me a bit biased I will admit. I also have a Chord Mojo that is also very good better than a Mimby don’t know have yet to a/b them but it is very good. Dac’s are the hardest things to quantify as you do have to hear them on the same setup to make a call and most of the time the smallest difference in sound quality unless your moving up a teir and sometimes not so much but others can be big. Best case scenario hear it first if that is not available buy with a good return policy.

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks everyone so far I appreciate your feedback and input. Like I said I’m pretty new to hifi products, I just wanted to start with my first setup being something of good quality, that can be used with future headphone upgrades without spending a ton of money. I think the Magni 3 and multi bit will keep me covered for some time.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Probably a good call. Haven’t heard the Magni3 yet but it is supposed to be a bit warmer than the others and for me is a good thing. All Schiit amps have plenty of power but tend to be bright to me as I like bright headphones and would like a warmer amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back