Scotch
Jun 28, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #601 of 653
Quote:
i just realised the op said the glenlivet 15 year oak kinda sucked. well, these things are as subjective as audio then lol.

i had a glass of 55yo macallan last night(not bought by me thankfully)! that....my friends was like heaven,i think.

music_man

I agree the Glenlivet 15 Oak has been a favorite of mine for a while. That and the Dalmore 12 which which my taste buds like even more.

Today I picked up the Glenlivet Nadurra (114 proof version). Wow... Now I know what the deal is. Next up, try to find the Clynelish 14.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #604 of 653
Found a bottle of Clynelish 14. I'm not good with explaining the tastes but it has the traditional scotch taste with many different notes through out and extremely smooth even near the end while not watered down and at 46% alcohol. Quite impressive! And at $49 very drinkable!

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #605 of 653
Blindly bought the Ardbeg 10 today. Read the original post after tasting and I guess I'm not a novice scotch drinker anymore as I love this stuff. Another one for the cabinet. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #606 of 653
Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. I haven't met a single malt I didn't enjoy, but seem to keep going back to Oban. Love the stuff, but that doesn't mean the rest of them aren't any good. :)

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #607 of 653
I have continued to enjoy the Laphroig 15, but I have also been enjoying some Lagavulin 16 as well, which I really like.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #608 of 653
Just discovered this thread!  If you haven't tried the laphoraig cask strength, its a super value and IMO more complex and rich then the 18 and 1/4 barrel.  Also I discovered and spoiled myself with some Reidel Scotch glasses that add $20 to the taste of each scotch I have. 

Glasses aren't like cables - they do make a difference!
smile_phones.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #610 of 653
I'm partial to the Glenfiddich 21 yr old scotch.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #611 of 653
Just getting in some practice for the Wee Dram Fest (Bakewell, England) on Saturday.

£16 (but sold out now).  Free tasting glass to keep.  11am to 4pm.  As many whiskies as you could care to try in the time available.

Last year was awesome.  Tail end of the day and they weren't being stingy with the 23yo Highland Park...

As I said, getting in some practice.  I'll be taking my notebook for some notes.  Have been enjoying a dram of Lagavulin 16yo slowly for the last half hour and I'll just post some tasting notes (scoring based on Jim Murray's whisky bibles as mentioned in my posts earlier in this thread.

Colour: Deep Amber
Body: Medium - thin to medium leg spacing
Nose: Sawdust, vanilla and wood varnish.  Ginger and Lime.  Dying embers of a peat fire. 24.
Taste: Burned, varnished oak.  Seville orange marmalade.  Peat and demererra sugar.  23
Finish: Juicy - biting into an orange with the peel on.  Cumin,  Peat fire embers and dry coal.  Orange tang returns.  Distant smoke and creosote.  Spearmint leaves.  Cold potato wedges.  Several of the above things making a reappearance... 25
Balance: A different experience with every mouthful. 24
Overall: 96

Interesting to compare with the notes I posted last year (which I hadn't read any time recently).  I can see elements of consistency but it's not all there...

Quote:
Lagavulin Aged 16 Years, Islay Single Malt Scotch, 43%
n. Something difrerent each time I smell it. Sausages barbecued to black over a peat and oak fire. Then furniture polish. A hint of vanilla after you've tasted it. 22
t, Smoky before the liquid hits the palette, like smelling with your mouth. "Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hands... And he laid it upon my mouth" Isaiah 6:6a. 25
f. Lapsang souchong, then black pepper. Peat, staying there for a good while. Eventually a faint hint of peppermint. 25
b. Hold it in your mouth and inhale. It's like a good Havanna cigar. Add a drop of water and the nose gets smokier. Never seems quite as good as the first time I tasted it though. 23
Overall 95.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #613 of 653
I'm a single malt Scotch virgin, but went to a Macallan tasting event last night and got to try their 10, 12, 15, 17, and 18. Definitely an eye (and palate) opening experience. Being a beer enthusiast I could recognize some of the flavors which made it all the more interesting. I doubt I'll ever be able to justify breaking even $50 on a bottle of liquor but looking online it seems there is no shortage of 10 and 12 year single malts under that price. I have a feelling that in the near future I will be collecting a bottle or two. Or more. Just what I needed, another expensive hobby
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #614 of 653

Quote:
I'm a single malt Scotch virgin, but went to a Macallan tasting event last night and got to try their 10, 12, 15, 17, and 18. Definitely an eye (and palate) opening experience. Being a beer enthusiast I could recognize some of the flavors which made it all the more interesting. I doubt I'll ever be able to justify breaking even $50 on a bottle of liquor but looking online it seems there is no shortage of 10 and 12 year single malts under that price. I have a feelling that in the near future I will be collecting a bottle or two. Or more. Just what I needed, another expensive hobby
tongue.gif

I'm much less of a beer enthusiast since discovering single malts.  My favourite is the Laphroaig 10, which, while being a nuisance to get (not available in Canada), is also one of the cheapest.  I have found it as cheap as $40 US / litre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back