SE with a preamp vs. Balanced signal with digital volume control?
Nov 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JoeKickass

100+ Head-Fier
My current setup is dac > preamp > monitors
(Bifrost 2 > Saga > LSR305)

But in single ended mode the monitors do have a high noise floor, and seem to be limited in overall volume. In balanced mode the noise is gone from the monitors, and Bifrost can put out a real balanced 4V signal vs only 2V for SE, but I don't have a Freya (balanced preamp)

So I'm thinking about trying straight DAC to monitors using the balanced xlr, and using the computer volume control. Normally that wouldn't be recommended due to loss of dynamic range, but I'm wondering if going from SE to balanced (2V to 4V) would effectively mask the compression, and offer a lower noise floor as a bonus!

Is anyone else running balanced and using computer volume control?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm not intimately familiar with the equipment you have, but aren't you overlooking the issue of converting from balanced to single-ended between the DAC and the preamp? As soon as you make that single-ended connection, you lose the voltage advantage. Maybe you've already tried it and it somehow works, but I'm not seeing that from here.

Also, volume control from your computer to DAC is actually "software," not "digital." Maybe that's what you were referring to by talking about compression, because OS/music app volume control re-samples the music stream. It can't work any other way.

Bottom line, it sounds like you may be aware of some of these things. So, the simplest thing would be to try it and see if you like it.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply, yes right now I am running SE at 2V with the Saga, but I am considering removing the Saga and going XLR at 4V straight from the DAC to the speakers.

I think you're right, there are a few too many variables to predict and I will ultimately have to try and find out. I already ordered the balanced cables and will report back!

If anyone is running balanced straight DAC to speakers, no preamp or volume control other than the PC, please let me know if you are happy with that setup!

Jun 13, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply, yes right now I am running SE at 2V with the Saga, but I am considering removing the Saga and going XLR at 4V straight from the DAC to the speakers.

I think you're right, there are a few too many variables to predict and I will ultimately have to try and find out. I already ordered the balanced cables and will report back!

If anyone is running balanced straight DAC to speakers, no preamp or volume control other than the PC, please let me know if you are happy with that setup!
Bumping because I am interested in an answer to your question also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back