SE530 vs. IE7 vs. IE8
Dec 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
SE530: $342 via Amazon USA
IE7: $188 via Amazon DE
IE8: $280 via Amazon DE

(I can order Amazon DE products and have them shipped to a friend in Germany who would send the product to me.)

Can anyone comment on how these three stack up against each other?

May 30, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 22
The IE7 and SE530 have a similar sound. The SE530 has more forward mids which many headfiers enjoy, and the IE7 has better soundstage. The SE530 has rolled off highs which some people like and others don't because they desire more treble energy. It has some of the best sounding mids for an iem. The IE8 sound is most similar to that of a big can headphone. Best soundstage for an IEM. The IE7 and IE8 will need some serious burn in for them to sound their best and they don't isolate as well as the SE530. I just recently sold my SE530's and still have the IE7's and IE8's. I prefer the IE8 out of the three iems.

May 30, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 22
^x2

530 and IE7 sound similar, 7 has a bit more highs and quite abit more bass but quite alike. the 530 has better clarity and detail but eh7 has a larger soundstage, oh and the 530 isolates far better.

the IE8 is totally different kettle of fish. huge bass massively energetic highs and really nice mids but much more recessed than the other 2. for me they are lots of fun but as ive said colourfully elsewhere they are a bit much for me, few hours and i have to take them off.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 22
I thought the IE7 and IE8's had the same driver. The IE8's have the detachable cable and bass adjustment. Other then that i was under the impression that the driver was the same. Please correct me if im wrong.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by illini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the IE7 and IE8's had the same driver. The IE8's have the detachable cable and bass adjustment. Other then that i was under the impression that the driver was the same. Please correct me if im wrong.

I believe that the IE8's use a larger driver but I'm not sure. 10Hz-19kHz frequency response and 120dB/mW sensitivity in the IE7s and 10Hz-20kHz and 125dB/mW in the IE8s.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 22
I'd be interested in trying the IE8s but they have newness dripping from them and deals are still minimal.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested in trying the IE8s but they have newness dripping from them and deals are still minimal.

Newness? The IE8 appreciation thread was started 10-26-2008 and is 281 pages long.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 22
I had the IE-8 and the SE530 side-by-side for several weeks. They were driven via

4G imod ipod photo => APV V3 interconnects with right-angled switchcraft connectors => xin supermini IV

I have to agree that the mids on SE530 is fantastic, but the treble roll-off and the smaller soundstage (as opposed to IE-8) ultimately didn't work for me as I found myself reaching for the IE-8s more, a LOT more. On top of that, the cables and the cable-splitter are a lot heavier in the SE530. So in the end i sold the SE530s and kept the IE-8s. I still DO miss the isolation and the mid-range though. Maybe it's time for a JH13?

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^x2

530 and IE7 sound similar, 7 has a bit more highs and quite abit more bass but quite alike. the 530 has better clarity and detail but eh7 has a larger soundstage, oh and the 530 isolates far better.

the IE8 is totally different kettle of fish. huge bass massively energetic highs and really nice mids but much more recessed than the other 2. for me they are lots of fun but as ive said colourfully elsewhere they are a bit much for me, few hours and i have to take them off.

I've got a question for you. I know you're a big fan of the SE530, much more than I am, but I respect your opinion from reading many of your posts.

Would you say that the IE7/IE8 dynamic is similar to that of the W3/UM3X? I realize that the Sennheisers use dynamic drivers while the Westones use balanced armatures but the signatures you were describing on the Sennheisers reminded me of how the W3 is the bombastic one, with the thumpy bass and high highs while the UM3X is more laid back, still possessing a lot of bass but a bit more subdued, even to the point that W3 lovers considerate cold and analytical compared to the W3.

Your description of the IE7 sounds like the UM3X while your description of the IE8 sounds like the UM3X.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

I've got a question for you. I know you're a big fan of the SE530, much more than I am, but I respect your opinion from reading many of your posts.

Would you say that the IE7/IE8 dynamic is similar to that of the W3/UM3X? I realize that the Sennheisers use dynamic drivers while the Westones use balanced armatures but the signatures you were describing on the Sennheisers reminded me of how the W3 is the bombastic one, with the thumpy bass and high highs while the UM3X is more laid back, still possessing a lot of bass but a bit more subdued, even to the point that W3 lovers considerate cold and analytical compared to the W3.

Your description of the IE7 sounds like the UM3X while your description of the IE8 sounds like the UM3X.

I know I am not mark2410, but when I auditioned the W3 and UM3X at Can Jam my thoughts of the UM3X were laid back and yes, subdued is a good word. Compared to the warmth of my IE8 I didn't like it, it sounded kinda lifeless. The W3 had almost the same sound signature, but the mids were more forward and the mid-bass hump sounded a little bigger.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

btw i assuming u meant "the IE8 sounds like the W3"

well seeing as ive never yet heard the W3 or um3x i cannot say with certainty but from what ive read it sounds about right the only difference i would say is the IE7 isnt quite as resolving as the 8 or the 530. when you compare the 7 to the top tier IEM's i do notice them just not quite being at that same level but really very close, but then over here they cost like £120 compared the £200 the big boys sit around.

i should have the um3x in the next week so can say how it is in relation to the IE7 then but no plans to be buying the W3 any time soon or indeed ever really. not saying i wont ever hear or buy it just not on my list of desired items.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

I like to tell you that IE8 and UM3X is totally different.

Little round up
IE8: quick dark still detailed, spacious soundstage, deep bass, little laid back presentation especially mid end. Prominent low end. Sparkly high end.

UM3X: little warm, fairly average soundsatge and bass, slightly better instrument separation. Upfront presentation in each spectrum expect high end. Mid is creamy and luscious . High end is natural not as sparkly as IE8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back