SE535's better than Momentums?
Apr 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

kzhlin

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentums that I really like and my friend was telling me to check out the Shure 535's. I only got a chance to hear them for about 5 minutes and I'm not sure whether or not they're better than the Momentums (or even worth all the hype they they're getting). What do you guys think?

I'm looking to get a good pair of IEMs. I have a pair of Ety HF5's that I really like, but I want to upgrade to something better.

I usually only listen to mainstream or classical music.

Thanks,
Kevin

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 91
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentums that I really like and my friend was telling me to check out the Shure 535's. I only got a chance to hear them for about 5 minutes and I'm not sure whether or not they're better than the Momentums (or even worth all the hype they they're getting). What do you guys think?

I'm looking to get a good pair of IEMs. I have a pair of Ety HF5's that I really like, but I want to upgrade to something better.

Thanks,
Kevin

IF you like HF5, you like flat earphones. SE535 is slightly warm and has midcentricness with rolled off highs. If you like HF5, I suggest that you look at more flat earphones like ER4S.

And comparing Momentum and SE535 would depend on what you are looking for.
Sub-bass: Momentum is probable better as there is more energy
Mid-bass: SE535 is rounder and more punchy while Momentum is very impactful.
Lower-mid: SE535 will win
Upper-mid: SE535 wins again
Lower treble: I'll call it a tie
Upper treble: Momentum probably wins as SE535 has rolled off treble.
Sound stage: really? iem vs headphone? momentum wins. SE535 has pretty good sound stage for iem though.
Detail: SE535 might be slightly more detailed, but I don't remember to be honest.
Smoothness: SE535 is more smooth.
This is impression from 15min demo of momentum against my se535. I may not be totally accurate.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 91
^ I would say all that is dead on

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 91
Thanks kimvictor. I was thinking about selling my Momentums for the 535's but now I think I'm going to keep them and get another pair of IEMs.

After reading a lot of posts here, I am stuck between the SE535, ER-4P (with the adapter to make it a 4S), and IE80. What would be good for accurate reproduction of classical music? And would also sound good with mainstream pop music?

And is the SE535 Special Edition in Asia really better than the original one? Is it noticeable better? I read that it fixes the treble roll off a bit, but is the treble roll off in the SE535 really that bad to begin with?

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 91
Quote:
Thanks kimvictor. I was thinking about selling my Momentums for the 535's but now I think I'm going to keep them and get another pair of IEMs.

After reading a lot of posts here, I am stuck between the SE535, ER-4P (with the adapter to make it a 4S), and IE80. What would be good for accurate reproduction of classical music? And would also sound good with mainstream pop music?

And is the SE535 Special Edition in Asia really better than the original one? Is it noticeable better? I read that it fixes the treble roll off a bit, but is the treble roll off in the SE535 really that bad to begin with?

Thanks!

Hm. For pop, I would say SE535 or IE80. If you really like vocals, stick with SE535. Personally, I love how SE535 has very round mid bass, but IE80 has warm and impactful bass. For classic, SE535 would be more suitable.

About the Special Edition SE535, I think there is no difference in driver tuning. Recently, I pulled out the sound filter on my SE535, and the treble was no longer rolled off! It was harsh, but apparently, that proves that the highs are rolled off due to the filter. I think Special Edition has a better filter, and hence, better extended highs. But to be honest, SE535's highs are not really that bad. Sure, not well extended, but very smooth and pleasing. It comes down to your preference, more aggressive and sparkly highs or smooth and rolled off highs.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 91
Sorry. I's still new to this whole audio world.

Can you clarify on what you mean between "aggressive and sparkly" and "smooth and rolled off"? Where would the difference be very noticeable?

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 91
Quote:
Sorry. I's still new to this whole audio world.

Can you clarify on what you mean between "aggressive and sparkly" and "smooth and rolled off"? Where would the difference be very noticeable?

that would be in the high range. Aggressive means that it is exciting and loud but at the same time, it can sound tiring after a while.
Smooth means relaxing and not too powerful.

Edit: Here is a link to glossary for terms
http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 91
Thanks! I think I'll be picking up a pair of the original SE535's for laid back and relaxed listening. Since they're all excellent earbuds I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be disappointed with either!

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 91
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Kevin

No they're not IMO. Sold my SE535s, but still have my Momentums. A great pair of IEMs to try would be the Westone 4s (my current favourites in the category).

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 91
Quote:
No they're not IMO. Sold my SE535s, but still have my Momentums. A great pair of IEMs to try would be the Westone 4s (my current favourites in the category).

I think it is smart to also look at other iems. I mean se535 is great if it fits you, but it seems like most people don't consider other iems like W4, Heir Audio 4.Ai, UE900, and SM3. SE535 and IE80 seem to be the most popular, but I won't call them the best. However, I do enjoy forwards mids of SE535, and would recommend it to people looking for greats mids with round and punchy midbass with smooth and rolled off highs.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 91
Quote:
I think it is smart to also look at other iems. I mean se535 is great if it fits you, but it seems like most people don't consider other iems like W4, Heir Audio 4.Ai, UE900, and SM3. SE535 and IE80 seem to be the most popular, but I won't call them the best. However, I do enjoy forwards mids of SE535, and would recommend it to people looking for greats mids with round and punchy midbass with smooth and rolled off highs.

Most who have heard both, prefer the W4s in my experiences...I've owned the SE535s twice and both times they just didn't do it for me like the W4s.  I've heard the SM3s and UE900s and I like them, but not enough to buy them.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 91
Quote:
Most who have heard both, prefer the W4s in my experiences...I've owned the SE535s twice and both times they just didn't do it for me like the W4s.  I've heard the SM3s and UE900s and I like them, but not enough to buy them.

I guess it is hard to test iems in US. I've been to multiple iem shops in korea with hundreds of iems to be demoed. I go on seasonal hunt for new iems in those shops. Are there shops like that in US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back