Sealed headphone roundup - some relatively affordable models I enjoy, including Focal Spirit Pro, ADL H118, Mad Dogs, and some others
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Although it's been posted for over a week by now, I somehow totally forgot to mention this article on HeadFi. You can find it over at Confessions of a Part Time Audiophile. I tried many (most?) of the current sealed headphones under $400 and wrote about the ones I enjoyed. I'll follow up later with a roundup of flagship models which will consist of LCD-XC, TH600, TH900, and Alpha Dogs. 

Note that I was specifically focused on over-the-ear models. I left out stuff like DT1350 and M80, even though I enjoy them, because that wasn't my target category. I also left out budget models like Superlux because that would make for a never-ending search to try more models. I kept it realistic.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Let me know. There is actually more value in the segment than I anticipated finding, which makes me happy. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 7
I really am not a fan of closed-back headphones but I do love the M-100s. You should actually try this- the Phiaton MS500. It is one of the best closed back(well I guess you could narrow it down to on ears) headphones under $500 in my opinion. I'm actually not sure if I like the M-100 better or not. I listened to jazz, daft punk, hip hop, classical, and more out of my iBasso DX50 and it is great. A little bassy but I don't mind the overall excitement. I do think that the M-100 is a easier listen than the MS500 but I think I'm going to get the MS500 too. I like it over the B&W P7s
ps- other Phiaton headphones are not as great or should I say rubbish.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 7
After looking around websites I am fond of, seems like that Martin Logan Mikro 90s are really nice. And it's only $90 or so on Amazon too. Didn't get to try it out yet but the Mikro 70 in ears were great.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 7
A vote for the Takstar Pro80's at under $80 USD. They are the best all arounder in my current line up. Whilst they are closed and the sound-stage is not as open or wide as on the Superlux 681/668, the Pro80 have a more balanced presentation, no sibilance, and off course more bass. Not as much sub bass as the JVC HA-S500, but definitely good enough for rock and EBM. Not a basshead can, but good otherwise.

If you have heard the CAL! 1.0, they are a better in all respects that the CAL excels in.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 7
  Nice write up.Will you review the NAD and PSB too?
I am trly impressed with the NAD

Maybe down the road at some point. Tyll really enjoys them, especially the NAD, so I imagine I'll like them as well. To be honest, these headphone comparisons are a lot of work..... but a lot of fun too. 

After looking around websites I am fond of, seems like that Martin Logan Mikro 90s are really nice. And it's only $90 or so on Amazon too. Didn't get to try it out yet but the Mikro 70 in ears were great.

They don't look like they would fit me very well. So I'll probably skip those.

A vote for the Takstar Pro80's at under $80 USD. They are the best all arounder in my current line up. Whilst they are closed and the sound-stage is not as open or wide as on the Superlux 681/668, the Pro80 have a more balanced presentation, no sibilance, and off course more bass. Not as much sub bass as the JVC HA-S500, but definitely good enough for rock and EBM. Not a basshead can, but good otherwise.

If you have heard the CAL! 1.0, they are a better in all respects that the CAL excels in.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I haven't spent a lot of time with those more affordable types lately. But it's good to know there are some enjoyable models to be had for good prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back