Seeking advice for good portable bass heavy Headphones-help please!
Mar 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

France00

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an advice, I need to buy some headphones as a present and I am literally going mad as there is so much on the market and I am not really into this to be able to make a good decision.  Here is what I am looking for:

1. Good bass, the person I am buying the headphones for listens to R&B/disco mostly, but also all types of music (except classical music/rock)
2. Look decent. I know the person does not like "big" headphones like the Beats pro. And I personallly really don't like Beats.
3. Decent noise isolation
4. Not so bad sound leak. the headphones will be used while travelling, on the tube mostly.

I have checked different forums, but it is very hard as I am trying to find the balance between my point 1 (good bass) and 2. Most of the ones I have seen online are just huge and this is not really what am I looking for.

Price: ideally up to £200, although I would be willing to spend over £200 for the Momentum.

I have seen so far: Sennheiser Momentum (I totally love them, but the bass is a bit disappointing, sorry for my  modest point of view), Bowers & Wilkins P5, P3 (P3 design is very nice  but I don't ike the sound quality), VModa M100 (I think they look too big, not sure anyway I don't find them in the UK, need to order them).

Any thoughts? Many many thanks for your help!

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Headphones like many things in life are very subjective, personally Amperiors have great bass to my ears without overcoming the rest of the music...vocals, etc. they're not too big and I use them most days. I also have a pair of Momentums which I use late in the evening for more laid back sound. Amperiors can be tried at the Apple store, so you can make your own mind up, however, for my money, pound for pound, they're the best sounding commuter cans that I've ever owned. Plus the all aluminium cups and split headband design really grows on you.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks GSARider and TwinQY. Sorry TwinQY I had already read the post you sent me, but I did not find the information I was looking for and I thought to post this, sorry again.

I will look for an Apple store and try the Amperior, many thanks GSARider.

I have looked at the Custom One Pro by Beyerdynamic, any thoughts on this one? Just have to find a store in London where I can at least try them on to see what the sound looks like.

I will check the UE6000 as well, thanks TwinQY. The Momentums are absolutely stylish and sound clarity is great, but the headphones are not for myself, and the person I am buying the headphones for really likes bassy headphones, so I thought to look for a pair that matches exactly what this person wants. I personally found that in the Momentum's there isn't much bass emphasis, but again I am not an expert, and this is why I wrote here.   

I have been to a few electronics shops, but apart from receiving recommendations to buy the Beats!, I did not get much help (and of course I am not interested in those).

Do I have to get to the £250 mark to get good bassy headphones? I was hoping not, but again as it is a present, I will spend that if if it is the only way.

Thanks!! 

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks GSARider and TwinQY. Sorry TwinQY I had already read the post you sent me, but I did not find the information I was looking for and I thought to post this, sorry again.

I will look for an Apple store and try the Amperior, many thanks GSARider.

I have looked at the Custom One Pro by Beyerdynamic, any thoughts on this one? Just have to find a store in London where I can at least try them on to see what the sound looks like.

I will check the UE6000 as well, thanks TwinQY. The Momentums are absolutely stylish and sound clarity is great, but the headphones are not for myself, and the person I am buying the headphones for really likes bassy headphones, so I thought to look for a pair that matches exactly what this person wants. I personally found that in the Momentum's there isn't much bass emphasis, but again I am not an expert, and this is why I wrote here.   

I have been to a few electronics shops, but apart from receiving recommendations to buy the Beats!, I did not get much help (and of course I am not interested in those).

Do I have to get to the £250 mark to get good bassy headphones? I was hoping not, but again as it is a present, I will spend that if if it is the only way.

Thanks!! 

The Beyers are quite nice and fun, bass is adjustable (but would keep on the 2nd level for clarity's sake). Might get a bit too congested at times, but certainly enough bass.

Something like the DT770s would definitely offer the bass quantity, but will probably be too "big". Looking at the criteria, I guess your last bet would be the M-100s out of the list. Have not heard so no comments there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back