Seeking advice on new daily driver IEM Replacement for IE80s
Aug 5, 2022 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

akash neagi

100+ Head-Fier
As the title suggests i think its time to upgrade from my IE80s, I've been using the IE80 from 2014 and ugraded to the IE80S not too long ago
I love the sound signature and I think with the bass cranked it is the perfect IEM for me hence when it was time to retire the IE80 I upgraded to the IE80S but i think im just getting a little tired of the same sound. For daily driving purposes I would like to be able to drive it with my phone using a cable, prefer non bluetooth IEMs.
I'm in Sydney and we have addicted to audio and minidisc here so that allows me to try IEMs out before I buy, budget is around the $1000 AUD and currently considering the Noble Django, Dulce Bass, Sage, A&K Diana, AK Zero1, Sony M7 and the Sennheiser IE600. I need a detachable cable but other than that open any suggestions, Campfire audio looks cool but i have no idea of the model structure so wouldnt mind having a look at the, I also have a fiio btr7 on pre order and use a fiio X7ii as my DAP if not my phone.
Thanks in advance!

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 4
I would go IE600, by far one of the best under $1k

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes; the IE80(S) is a top tier IEM…

Addicted to Audio (your local head-fi store, yay!), has the bluetooth variant on clearance for less than $200 (I bought several)..
They use a high quality amp and a half decent AKM DAC chip (same as in my Anthem processor, I believe), and ‘for the coin’, is a ‘no brainer’ to add to ones collection.
They can be cabled (the bluetooth horseshoe/neckband is removable); and whilst I do not typically ‘do’ Bluetooth sound, they seem to have all the worthwhile CODECS (proper APTX LL/HD, yes (not the ‘adaptive APT X’ that is neither/‘jack of all trades’)..

I gather it isn’t a ‘different’ sound… but, regarding your source(s), you could easily change up your IEM sound by changing DAPs (would be more significant than a cable, or even ‘some’ IEMs arguably)…
I gather I am pitching you ‘not what you wish to hear’ - this is really just ‘food for thought’; but I’d encourage you to buy the HUGELY DISCOUNTED (again, Addicted to Audio) Astell and Kern SA700 ($1849 marked down to $799); it is a ‘bit of a gift’of a player; almost like Astell wanted to make an attempt to see if pundits would buy ‘audio tuned quality’ over spec sheet marketing.
Of note is that the AKM 4492chips inside are a ‘new version’, built after progress made on the 4497, with tricks learned utilised to improve the 4492 chipset to specs close to the 4497 whilst still sipping power like the 4492 can… oh, and it is ‘very musical’.

I truly believe this player would revamp your present IEMs so much, that it is likely a ‘great step forward’, and I’d blow the rest of the dosh on a set of the Bluetooth IE80S (that was you have replacements for either set.. and can cable those BT buds as needed.
That being said, for Bluetooth buds, I have never heard anything BT sound so great, even over lowly APT X; these are obviously flagship drivers, and the development into the IE800 (and later 300/600) was a lot of cavity tuning, yes?

Anyhow, as a FiiO user (X5III/M11+Ltd etc), the jump to an A&K is an audio quality changeup that is so significant that your present IE80S would ‘breath new life’ (majorly), with the benefit of seeing just how much the player changes the sound (you are familiar with them!!).

Having spent the last few days benchmark testing four/five DACs and three/four serious amplifiers, some of the most significant differences in sound came down to which DAC input I was using/ or arguably ‘cables’..
Transport quality was a significant player in what I was hearing, and whilst the clock chips in the M11+Ltd really gets FiiO on the map for ‘high quality transport’ - the sound output from an Astell and Kern (the grandfathers of DAPs with tonnes of patents and decades of research and refinement(formerly ‘jriver’)); that SA700 is a killer purchase.

Many headifers place it as ‘approaching’ the realm of the S1000M, and generally assign it 9X% of the sound quality of the Ultimate A&K players. (for 799$ aus it is a ‘steal’)
stainless stell = build quality to kill that X7, and the SA700 is truly in a different ballpark.
The sound change would be as significant as changing IEMs…

Of which- some of the high end FiiOs really got my interest,.. and having visited A2A yesterday, even saw a few FiiOs IEMs with dip switches for altering the armature sound outputs (specific bands, like an outboard equaliser in ‘hardware’)…

I’d definitely at least try auditioning the player, as I feel it would be an ‘instant purchase’ and I believe that your flagship Sennheiser IEMs would really give you something new, which may even be exactly what you are looking for..

cheers
only reason I didn’t recommend a bunch of IEMs is that my IE80S(BT) (and Cardas ear speaker and roland IE3 and B&W C5 etc etc) all fit in my ear and I can lie on my pillow sideways.. all of the IEMS I seem to get excited about are HUGE and when I go to check them out, I realise that they are NOT what I need….
hope something here is ‘on point’ and therefore helpful..
success on getting where you aim to be..(I wish thee)

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Gather I might be talking to the trees here.. (orig post being 'start of August'), but figured I had some knowledge to share/'further' my last post- an honest intention to encourage the OP towards 'good value' investment.... (etc)

I have heard the SA700 (A&K 'on clearance' >50% off) and it FLOGS the other DAPs (I have and have compared it too)...
Whilst I have done so with the M11+(Ltd), the audible differences between these two units is HUGE.
Sure the SA700 is massively lacking in the 'options' category; a lot of cheaper (at full $RRP) players have more 'ins' and 'outs' or "feature", but in terms of the ONE FEATURE THAT MATTERS (music), the SA700 is amazing.
As someone who had been wanting to upgrade my IEMs for the last year or so, the increase in audio quality that my 'old units' now get/'get from the upgraded DAP', is so noticable that I could hardly call any of my older IEMs 'the same' (they all put out vastly better musicality; more stereo imaging range and accuracy, better musicality/tonality, much more detail and front to back staging (height too), dynamics, and layering...), the improvement to ALL the IEMS from switching the FRONT END (music player) was soooooo ('so' with a lot of emphasis for those using a language translator ) substantial, so massive, that seldom have I seen such a great dollar investment translate to such great bang/buck ratio return on ANY hifi kit.

I'd double down on my recommendation to at least TRY the SA700 (as VS the X7, even with amp upgrade..) as it will seriously take ones' music to 'the next level'....
(and you get actual resale value from electronics which is much greater than resale value on IEMs )..

Food for thunk, but , please consider visiting your local A2A store and check out the A&K SA700 (with greater than $1000 off its' Recommended Retail Price), it is a 'snap it up' bargain.
Big jump up from FiiO house sound quality- makes the M11+ seem like consumer class junk-fi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back