Selling in classifieds question:
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Soundsgoodtome

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently selling some items in which another member's first private message was, I'll take it what's your Paypal? I replied to PM within 30 mins to which the potential buyer said, never mind I thought it was a different item.

This isn't the first this happened, last time I took a lot longer to reply so it's quite understandable that maybe the buyer changed their mind or whatever reason...
but should I be concerned that other members could be phishing for Paypal address? There's really no step between a potential buyer saying they want to buy your stuff and giving your PP address out so what are you guys' take on something like this? What do you guys do? Take cautionary steps or just outright give your PP address?

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 8
That's actually a good question... I hadn't thought that freely giving out your paypal info might be dangerous. Does the buyer have any trader feedback?

I think Head-Fi is a relatively safer place to trade, so I wouldn't worry too much though.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 8
  That's actually a good question... I hadn't thought that freely giving out your paypal info might be dangerous. Does the buyer have any trader feedback?

I think Head-Fi is a relatively safer place to trade, so I wouldn't worry too much though.

Yes, better feedback than mine too. There isn't really immediate dangers but crooks are getting more clever nowadays.. With your paypal address or not, they still have to go through Paypal and a password but I can see people getting creative with it.

I think I'll be alright with this particular member but what about 0 feedback or even an outright newcomer who just signed up the same day they PMed you. Which btw I experienced as well, so far so good on that transaction and item is on the way.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 8
I would be more careful with a 0 feedback guy, but people over 5 feedback are generally quite trustworthy. Be careful though, some people create multiple accounts to give themselves feedback. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 8
  I think I'll be alright with this particular member but what about 0 feedback or even an outright newcomer who just signed up the same day they PMed you. Which btw I experienced as well, so far so good on that transaction and item is on the way.

You might try to see if the guy's for real by asking him something that solicits some relevant information, such as "What would you like to know about the item?" Zero feedback wouldn't bother me--everyone is a new buyer at first--because I can look up the person's posts and get a decent notion of what sort of fellow I'm dealing with. So if the member signed up only that day, I'd be quite wary.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 8
  I would be more careful with a 0 feedback guy, but people over 5 feedback are generally quite trustworthy. Be careful though, some people create multiple accounts to give themselves feedback. 

Didn't even think about that. I guess feedback and posts counts would be a good measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back