SennGrado Thread
Feb 16, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #197 of 518
  Thanks for the info guys, "cost of the parts" leaves some leeway I guess. I'll contact one of the mods by then and ask them what they think of it, I'm definitely not in it for making profit, just trying to minimize the costs of this expensive hobby. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Becoming a Member of the Trade is tricky. I used to DIY cables before I went commercial and you trade the ability to converse about the craft amongst your supporters with your personal pictures, stories, and product so that you can make some money for yourself.

My advice is to go legit and not to try to skirt any lines here. Head-fi is a valuable community and if you're trying to make money "under the table" while feigning as a DIY'er it could hurt your ability to use Head-Fi. MoT's don't pay any bills here if that's what you're afraid of.

If I were you I'd sell your cups for what they're worth, start a small blog to share to whomever is interested and good work never goes unnoticed.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #198 of 518

Becoming a Member of the Trade is tricky. I used to DIY cables before I went commercial and you trade the ability to converse about the craft amongst your supporters with your personal pictures, stories, and product so that you can make some money for yourself.

My advice is to go legit and not to try to skirt any lines here. Head-fi is a valuable community and if you're trying to make money "under the table" while feigning as a DIY'er it could hurt your ability to use Head-Fi. MoT's don't pay any bills here if that's what you're afraid of.

If I were you I'd sell your cups for what they're worth, start a small blog to share to whomever is interested and good work never goes unnoticed.

Thanks for the advice about selling them guys, I'll look into it.

My first set is almost finished, only need to drill holes for the headband and the wires and then connect them. I've ordered some paracord to sleeve them, I'm not sure how big the hole needs to be so I'll have to wait for it to arrive first. Sanding two pairs took about the length of the latest installment of The Hunger Games series, so that wasn't too bad.

I made two sets, this is the ~35mm high Meranti version.

I first wanted to make a wooden ring to hold the earpad in place, but that didn't work out so I jury-rigged it with some super-glue and a piece of scrap linoleum. It does the job and you don't see it anyway. I also used a piece of linoleum to move the drivers up again, because I made the seat for them too deep. With the linoleum spacer I can easily change the height, so it's pretty great for tweaking the design. 

And this is the ~ 28mm high Iroko version.

I continued working on the Iroko set, because the Meranti set turned out nicer so I want to keep them for the second version. Besides, the Iroko is much softer, so it's easier to make another set. Now without further ado, here's what they look like now:

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #199 of 518

Thanks for the advice about selling them guys, I'll look into it.

My first set is almost finished, only need to drill holes for the headband and the wires and then connect them. I've ordered some paracord to sleeve them, I'm not sure how big the hole needs to be so I'll have to wait for it to arrive first. Sanding two pairs took about the length of the latest installment of The Hunger Games series, so that wasn't too bad.

I made two sets, this is the ~35mm high Meranti version.

I first wanted to make a wooden ring to hold the earpad in place, but that didn't work out so I jury-rigged it with some super-glue and a piece of scrap linoleum. It does the job and you don't see it anyway. I also used a piece of linoleum to move the drivers up again, because I made the seat for them too deep. With the linoleum spacer I can easily change the height, so it's pretty great for tweaking the design. 

And this is the ~ 28mm high Iroko version.

I continued working on the Iroko set, because the Meranti set turned out nicer so I want to keep them for the second version. Besides, the Iroko is much softer, so it's easier to make another set. Now without further ado, here's what they look like now:

Nice!

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #200 of 518
Can someone update me why there was a mad surge for these Senngrados and all of the sudden, seemingly everyone dropped out. Is there a better driver out there or people moved onto a different build? Or...??

Oh and if people are still building these, the drivers can be had for $35 new with shipping from a set of PX100-II-i ($40 if you live in a state where Amazon is located because of additional tax)

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/sennheiser-px100-iii-folding-ios-headset-8?ref=cnt_wp_0_3

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #202 of 518
Can someone update me why there was a mad surge for these Senngrados and all of the sudden, seemingly everyone dropped out. Is there a better driver out there or people moved onto a different build? Or...??

Oh and if people are still building these, the drivers can be had for $35 new with shipping from a set of PX100-II-i ($40 if you live in a state where Amazon is located because of additional tax)

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/sennheiser-px100-iii-folding-ios-headset-8?ref=cnt_wp_0_3

I got all caught up in T50rp modding...I ammstill subbed to the thread though and watch. Just picked up a pair of those PX100 from your link. Too good a deal to pass up. Been thinking I would maybe try my hand at some Grado style cups lately...

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #204 of 518
Forum hype it comes and goes... FTOM madness

There are no new/alternate drivers that I am aware of.  Still enjoying my SG build tremendously.  Im still using the OEM grado headband, I might get a second Vivitar DJ headband like the one I am using on an SR60i.  Its padded nicely and curves around my bald dome a little better than the Grado headbands.  It literally disappears on on my head... very comfy.

as much as I like the SG, its a hard headphone to openly recommend on the forum since its a DIY.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #205 of 518
Still enjoying mine and working on a second pair. It's just taking a while for me to get a few things done like slip-on cups and playing around with various dampening materials for tuning.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #207 of 518

Done! I'll be doing a second version soon, some minor quirks I need to work out. Biggest issue is with the headband, this cheap Chinese simply sucks in every way imaginable. Suggestions for low-budget alternatives?

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #208 of 518

Done! I'll be doing a second version soon, some minor quirks I need to work out. Biggest issue is with the headband, this cheap Chinese simply sucks in every way imaginable. Suggestions for low-budget alternatives?

Try this, shipping to hawaii is nuts, $34, so I ordered two, one for a SG build and one Magnum build, I don't have all the parts yet, only cups, headband, and cables, still waiting for drivers to arrive.
http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #210 of 518
So far I have used five different driver sets of the PX100, each set seemed to have about the same sound qualities but differing amounts of bass. As they each were in cups from different tone woods I thought it was the wood that was making the difference in sound. After moving the drivers around I'm finding that some of the drivers have a lot more bass than others. Each set seems to be matched but the sets each have differing amounts of bass. 

Any of you guys notice this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back