Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jun 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #961 of 1,022
You must be referring to the treble, the spike near the "definition" area of 10k, rather than the mids. The mids are naturally warm and not sharp sounding due to emphasis from the mid bass to lower mids region, giving them bloom and roundness. The SRH940 lack this quality and have unacceptably high distortion near this area which contributes to their thin, weightless and trebly sound.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #963 of 1,022
I've no idea how the Amperior's mids could ever be described as metallic or wonky, they are the strongest part of the headphone, with a natural warmth and richness. The K701 and SRH940 both have mids that could be described closer to "metallic" and wonky, with pathetic bass impact for most forms of rock and a tonal balance that spotlights the inherent harshness in the treble regions of this genre. In terms of sibilance, the Amperior has less than a top-end closed can like a TH900.

I agree with this. I found the SRH940 to sound really amazing, but if there is anything that one could nitpick about, it is the bass (already mentioned) and the somewhat cold, metallic tonality of the mids. The Amperior has warmer mids and a more natural tonality; however, it is also a rather bright headphone with fairly emphasized treble around the 10k region. I still do not think this headphone has a lot of sibilance, mostly because of the low resonance of the aluminium chamber. It is simply bright, and lowering the treble with EQ a little bit helps to make it sound less in your face with the treble.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #964 of 1,022
I agree with this. I found the SRH940 to sound really amazing, but if there is anything that one could nitpick about, it is the bass (already mentioned) and the somewhat cold, metallic tonality of the mids. The Amperior has warmer mids and a more natural tonality; however, it is also a rather bright headphone with fairly emphasized treble around the 10k region. I still do not think this headphone has a lot of sibilance, mostly because of the low resonance of the aluminium chamber. It is simply bright, and lowering the treble with EQ a little bit helps to make it sound less in your face with the treble.

Yeah I like that it is in your face. Great for metal. My only complaint is that vocals sound behind the music.

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #965 of 1,022
I do think the Amperior is good for metal, but I feel the same about the SRH940. For me in my experience, I've found the SRH940 to be a better experience due to it's much larger soundstage.

I also found the Amperior's midrange to be metallic-sounding relative to the SRH940. Ottmar Lieber's Up Close album was pretty much unlistenable to me using the Amperior because it was sibilant and metallic-sounding. Likewise for similar reasons, I couldn't enjoy Joanna Wang's Start From Here album.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #966 of 1,022
I do think the Amperior is good for metal, but I feel the same about the SRH940. For me in my experience, I've found the SRH940 to be a better experience due to it's much larger soundstage.

I also found the Amperior's midrange to be metallic-sounding relative to the SRH940. Ottmar Lieber's Up Close album was pretty much unlistenable to me using the Amperior because it was sibilant and metallic-sounding. Likewise for similar reasons, I couldn't enjoy Joanna Wang's Start From Here album.

I don't disagree wth you I just like how portable the amperior is and the construction is sturdy.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #967 of 1,022

I don't disagree wth you I just like how portable the amperior is and the construction is sturdy.

Oh yeah for sure the Amperior is better built. I wouldn't mind if it dropped on the floor unlike he SRH940. XD

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #969 of 1,022
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement iphone cable for the Amperiors? They seem pretty thin to me so I could see them wearing out eventually esp. since I use them as my only portable everyday. The one they sell at custom cable is pretty expensive and includes the thicker cable which wouldn't be necessary at all since I doubt those will wear out anytime soon. Is there a cheaper option?

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #970 of 1,022
Quote:
 the construction is sturdy.

After finally getting a pair of these a few weeks ago, this is the one area I was really disappointed with. I find them to be great looking, but they feel very cheap to me and every time I put them on my head the earcups come out of position and I have to reset them. My pair was just sent back to the vendor, as the left cup kept dropping out. I believe they're going to just send me a replacement pair since I was within the 30 day return period, so I need to decide if I like them enough to keep them or if I just want to sell the new ones they send me. I find them to be quite comfortable and I also enjoy how they sound, so right now I'm leaning toward keeping them. I just had much higher expectations, I guess. I expected them to give me a second portable option that I liked as much as my 1350s, but they weren't quite as much competition as I hoped. At the current price, though, I think they are still a solid value. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #971 of 1,022
I wore these headphones backwards everyday for nearly 6 months without realizing the cable was on the right channel.  I didn't notice it until I heard a left and right channel test.  I was so used to wearing headphones like the ATH-M50 where the cable was on the left side so I just assumed it was the same for every phone (guess not).

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #972 of 1,022
Quote:
I wore these headphones backwards everyday for nearly 6 months without realizing the cable was on the right channel.  I didn't notice it until I heard a left and right channel test.  I was so used to wearing headphones like the ATH-M50 where the cable was on the left side so I just assumed it was the same for every phone (guess not).

lol...yep, at first I was doing the same thing. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #973 of 1,022
Anyone know of an iem that has a sound signature similar to the Amperiors?

I had the Momentums, Dt-1350s and amperiors, I prefer the mids on the Amperiors and would love to find some well balanced iems in an under $300 range.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #974 of 1,022
This is very disappointing, but I now officially hate these headphones. I sent my first pair back because one of the cups kept dropping sound...I just rec'd the replacement pair and now this time one of the cups is so damn loose that slides up and down the notched piece so easily that they don't even maintain their fit...

If not for the fact that they sound good when they actually work, these would be among the worst headphones I've ever owned...

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #975 of 1,022
Quote:
This is very disappointing, but I now officially hate these headphones. I sent my first pair back because one of the cups kept dropping sound...I just rec'd the replacement pair and now this time one of the cups is so damn loose that slides up and down the notched piece so easily that they don't even maintain their fit...

If not for the fact that they sound good when they actually work, these would be among the worst headphones I've ever owned...

That's the way all Amperiors are sadly :frowning2: I just got used to the looseness of the cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back