Sennheiser driver differences? Nyet.
Jun 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

roadcykler

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought and have now sold a pair of HD600's that had different colored drivers, one light and one dark, but they sounded the same. I've read that are supposedly differences in drivers depending on what color they are. Accordingng to Sennheiser there is no difference between drivers except cosmetically. I e-mailed Sennheiser USA to ask about potential differences and this is the reply,  

[size=x-small]"The material aesthetics occasionally change from one run to the next, but the sound will always remain consistent. Unfortunately we do not have a way to guarantee a matching color, as these colors may change without notice to the US arm of Sennheiser." [/size]

[size=x-small]But I'm sure some people will think they still hear differences. [/size]

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
[size=x-small]But I'm sure some people will think they still hear differences. [/size]

Always.
I had heard a lot more of this talk aimed at the HD650s though.  I didn't even think to check my 600s for bonus placebo.  
basshead.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Always.
I had heard a lot more of this talk aimed at the HD650s though.  I didn't even think to check my 600s for bonus placebo.  
basshead.gif

they should know that audiophiles are a crazy bunch....

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Don't they realize the chemical makeup of black paint versus silver changes everything?.... :p  Sarcasm galore.

Maybe the silver isn't paint, but acoustic plating? Who knows.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Don't they realize the chemical makeup of black paint versus silver changes everything?.... :p  Sarcasm galore.

No,  no.  This is much more simply explained.

You see,  all the soundwaves are bouncing off of the lighter one, whereas they are absorbed by the darker one.  Don't be mistaken by what they teach you in school;  the colors do not represent wavelengths of light,  they actually represent sound frequencies.  

I hope we all learned something today.  I'm looking at you, Sennheiser.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:

You see,  all the soundwaves are bouncing off of the lighter one, whereas they are absorbed by the darker one.  Don't be mistaken by what they teach you in school;  the colors do not represent wavelengths of light,  they actually represent sound frequencies.  

well..i think there is a possibility that the color changes the sound even if just slightly... 
here's my idea, gloss vs matte colors could effect the sound because one surface is microscopically smoother versus jagged hills and valleys (speaking of sound science, i think i should run for the hills right about..NOW)

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:

If you want to be technical, Black is not a color, it is the lack there of. So it appears the soundwaves with the black ones you could say are being enveloped by the "black hole" that is that particular HD600. :p

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
If you want to be technical, Black is not a color, it is the lack there of. So it appears the soundwaves with the black ones you could say are being enveloped by the "black hole" that is that particular HD600. :p

welll....to be exact, you could paint something in gloss black (fine..gloss absence of color).. and then something in matte white (pronounced  mat) and the surface will be very different (microscopically)

oh my..so this is sound science... 0-o

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
welll....to be exact, you could paint something in gloss black (fine..gloss absence of color).. and then something in matte white (pronounced  mat) and the surface will be very different (microscopically)

oh my..so this is sound science... 0-o

Gotta love the internet for letting the likes of us loose in an open forum to speak utter non-sense, lol.  It's a good thing most of us know beforehand its utter non-sense and are just having a good time.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

Don't forget to rub the finest snake oil available around the driver encasing for unmatched musical clarity.  This should help even the surfaces out.

Ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back