Sennheiser Electronics HD800S my first pair of headphones
Jul 5, 2017 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Meguerra

New Head-Fier
Sennheiser Electronics HD800S my first pair of headphones. Now I need to figure out a great matching amp/dac combo for these 300 ohm Headphones. I want a balanced setup. 3k budget. Been checking out the Auralic Vega / Taurus II combo. Any others I should be considering? Thanks for the help

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 13
When you say matching do you mean they have to be from the same company or what pairs with them?

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 13
The HDVD 800 was made specifically for those cans, perhaps consider that. For a DAC, perhaps some of the Schiit offerings. They definitely look the best IMO, nice and clean. They should look good next to any amp you choose. Congrats on making everybody jealous xD

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 13
The HDVD 800 was made specifically for those cans, perhaps consider that. For a DAC, perhaps some of the Schiit offerings. They definitely look the best IMO, nice and clean. They should look good next to any amp you choose. Congrats on making everybody jealous xD
Just so you know the HDVD 800 is a amp/dac. I've heard both the 800 and 800S from it and would not recommend it myself there is much better out there for my taste.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 13
Just so you know the HDVD 800 is a amp/dac. I've heard both the 800 and 800S from it and would not recommend it myself there is much better out there for my taste.

Yeah I was considering the HDVD 800 as well as the new HDV 820 but I can't seem to find any power output specs on those. I would like something in the 2 watt and up for 300 ohm.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 13
From personal experience:
  • Audio-GD NFB-27: very capable, competent, balanced DAC/AMP
  • Ayre Codex: I could simply listen to this all day, through my HD800S - balanced, just very slightly sweet, and plenty of details
  • Simaudio Moon NEO 430HAD: seen these in your budget, when used - perhaps not my personal cup of tea, but definitely holds its own against the above two options. Warning though in that I do not think the DAC is balanced. I'm not sure though.
I do not know of a lot of options for an all-in-one.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 13
From personal experience:
  • Audio-GD NFB-27: very capable, competent, balanced DAC/AMP
  • Ayre Codex: I could simply listen to this all day, through my HD800S - balanced, just very slightly sweet, and plenty of details
  • Simaudio Moon NEO 430HAD: seen these in your budget, when used - perhaps not my personal cup of tea, but definitely holds its own against the above two options. Warning though in that I do not think the DAC is balanced. I'm not sure though.
I do not know of a lot of options for an all-in-one.
Did you get rid of your Microzotl?

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 13
Yes. As an amplifier-only solution, I could listen to it all day - HD800S and MicroZOTL2 with a good DAC. Brought back some real good memories of some of my 60s and 70s rock heroes. I can still hear David Bowie...

The absolute best amplifiers I've ever used though were Black Widow and DNA Sonett 2. Of course everything I'm listing is single-ended, though I just love how these sound. Say - aren't you going to the meet in PA in a few weeks? I'll bring these with me, if you want to give them a listen :wink:

And to keep this on topic, you can post back in this thread what you think?

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Heard the DNA Sonnet from a Gumby with the Utopias and it was quite good . It will be good to see you again. If you don't remember I was the guy that supplied you with a extension cord at Canlanta.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 13
HD800S is definitely a solid choice. I agree with Sheldaze's choices as he seems to have the most experience with these headphones. However, I would definitely suggest testing gear if you have a local audio store or any meets coming up in your area.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 13
In 2015 I spent a few hours with the HD 800 (balanced) on a 430HAD, as well as briefly on an HDVD 800. I made sure to test with all types of music; mostly recordings I am familiar with. When I bought an HD 800 for myself this year, I drove it with a Chord Mojo. The differences between the 430HAD and Mojo were small enough with this particular headphone that I wouldn't even be able to tell you what they were without a direct comparison. So you don't have to spend a whole lot, and may eventually come to the opinion that some of the much more expensive electronics aren't worth the trouble.

About balanced... It only has an audible benefit when the amp designer skimped on the single-ended output.

If your budget is $3,000, I think you'd be much better off with a headphone upgrade. (I'm personally not a fan of the HD 800. I know the HD 800 S has the same drivers.)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 13
Get a Chord 2Qute + a Feliks Elise or ZDS

and you'll be set with the HD800s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back